Matte black paint

Featured Posts

Hello,

I am looking to paint my boat matte black and I was hoping for some recommendations. 

I would also need rust treatment, anticorrosion  primer, undercoat and topcoat that works well with the matte black...I have heard some paints don't work well together.

Thank you kindly in advance

Stefan

Not what you asked but before you go too far have you considered just how much a mat black roof and cabin sides will increase the cabin heating from the sun in summer. it was bad enough with a light grey or cream roof, I dread to think what a mat black roof would be like.

• Greenie 1

Matt paints tend to have a slightly rough surface which WILL attract attract all sorts of lichens and verdigris, turning your boat into a grey-greeny hue.

Unless of course that's the effect you want.

There is a matt black narrowboat and later a widebeam, both called Walhalla? and they always look pretty good. There might be some photos somewhere on this forum.

Note that rust treat treatment should only be used on rust, not on good steel, and its wise to remove all rust before painting.

...................Dave

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Not what you asked but before you go too far have you considered just how much a mat black roof and cabin sides will increase the cabin heating from the sun in summer. it was bad enough with a light grey or cream roof, I dread to think what a mat black roof would be like.

Maybe its only going to be used on dark nights.

4 hours ago, Stefan said:

Hello,

I am looking to paint my boat matte black and I was hoping for some recommendations. 

I would also need rust treatment, anticorrosion  primer, undercoat and topcoat that works well with the matte black...I have heard some paints don't work well together.

Thank you kindly in advance

Stefan

Why??

What is the point you are trying to make by doing it 

Dark Grey satin would be much better  - similar look not prone to attract moulds lichen etc - if that's really what you want to do - PLEASE do consider how hot the steel will be to the touch on hot days 

Kurust is a good rust treatment but last time I used it it didn't like paint on top of it 

Hi Stefan,

Not specific to matt black paint but generally speaking you should stick to the same manufacturer for the primer, undercoat and top coat.

I'm using Craftmaster rust treatment, primer, undercoat and top coat on my cabin bilge at the moment. Not sure if they sell matt black off the shelf but I had them mix me a small pot of a specific RAL colour in their signwriting paint for an old car I own, which arrived next day so presumably matt black wouldn't be an issue. They're very helpful both online using their contact form and over the phone.

craftmasterpaints.co.uk

Rob

I'm not going to comment on elements of style.

Just want to chime in on the subject of heating. Ive had boats of different colours. By the far the most comfortable one (for living in) had white topsides. The one with dark blue topsides got so hot (in summer) that you'd burn yourself touching it.

Dark colours are also colder in winter. They don't just absorb sunlight more effectively, they radiate heat faster than white. 

15 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Is it just me or do others dislike the current trend for monotone boats in drab colours?

Its the change in the people owning boats, they can (fortnightly) easily slip into stealth mode and hide in the overhanging undergrowth and reeds on the day of the Enforcement 'walk by'.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its the change in the people owning boats, they can (fortnightly) easily slip into stealth mode and hide in the overhanging undergrowth and reeds on the day of the Enforcement 'walk by'.

And there was me thinking they were rebelling against the tradition of brightly coloured canal boats. ??

• Greenie 1