Engineer needed in Hatton

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Kiwidad said:

Nothing on prop, sorry, should have said that

You mean you have black carbon dust coming out of where the silencer is leaking, not out of the end of the exhaust?

If so that is quite normal with a leak, carbon monoxide too which kills.  Bung it up with an exhaust bandage till you get somewhere to have it fixed.

Wrapping with many layers of tinfoil and wire over will stop a leak protem.

I have clouds of black smoke coming out of exhaust. And engine bay when I increase revs. At tickover (which is very slow) I have blue smoke. I am nervous about continuing through the flight until someone who knows about engines checks it out. I know nothing!

2 hours ago, Kiwidad said:

I have clouds of black smoke coming out of exhaust. And engine bay when I increase revs. At tickover (which is very slow) I have blue smoke. I am nervous about continuing through the flight until someone who knows about engines checks it out. I know nothing!

Whoa!  Sounds serious. What engine please?  Black smoke is a diesel engine overloaded, hence overfuelled because it can't reach required revs, blue is burning oil.

Is the engine starting and reving normally or is it stuttering?

What came first, the smoke or the exhaust leak?

Richard Powell of Primrose Engineering, is the person you need. 01926 356400. (@RLWP on this forum)

He lives in Kenilworth, so just down the road, and keeps his boat Tawny Owl at the top of Hatton where you are now.

Edited by John Brightley
Correction to Richard's forum name
  • Greenie 1

Just now, John Brightley said:

Richard Powell of Primrose Engineering, is the person you need. 01926 356400. (Tawny Owl on this forum)

He lives in Kenilworth, so just down the road, and keeps his boat Tawny Owl at the top of Hatton where you are now.

It's been moved to pastures new.

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Whoa!  Sounds serious. What engine please?  Black smoke is a diesel engine overloaded, hence overfuelled because it can't reach required revs, blue is burning oil.

Is the engine starting and reving normally or is it stuttering?

What came first, the smoke or the exhaust leak?

Black smoke is really too much fuel for too little oxygen. So the problem could be too little fresh air. I suppose if the exhaust leak was really bad it could be filling the engine bay with oxygen-depleted air hence the black smoke.

Question to OP, if you run the engine with the boards up / engine exposed to fresh air, does it smoke less?

Or I suppose the diesel particulates from leaking exhaust could have clogged the air filter. I would suggest removing the air filter but not sure if OP is up to that?

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Black smoke is really too much fuel for too little oxygen. So the problem could be too little fresh air. I suppose if the exhaust leak was really bad it could be filling the engine bay with oxygen-depleted air hence the black smoke.

Question to OP, if you run the engine with the boards up / engine exposed to fresh air, does it smoke less?
He has been doing that.

Or I suppose the diesel particulates from leaking exhaust could have clogged the air filter. I would suggest removing the air filter but not sure if OP is up to that?

He has also been advised to do that...and is probably capable of that!

Anyhow, after RLWP spent some time with Kiwi, he is back on the move again.

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 2

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Those threaded connectors look for like water pipe connections than exhaust.

They are, standard malleable iron fittings as everybody uses. The rest is in, erm,  "poor" condition!

Not surprised it leaked a bit!

Not much hope of salvaging much, the coupling could be worth saving if possible especially if its a bronze seat one.

I'm creaking a bit, bloody thing was welded to the superstructure in several places, and impossible to undo any bits hence the cutting up. The long pipe was narrower than the rest, with fittings welded to each end.

Looking at it, and where it goes, only a single large exhaust will be going back in.

I have also removed this...

20200824_181307.jpg

21 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I'm creaking a bit, bloody thing was welded to the superstructure in several places, and impossible to undo any bits hence the cutting up. The long pipe was narrower than the rest, with fittings welded to each end.

Looking at it, and where it goes, only a single large exhaust will be going back in.

I have also removed this...

20200824_181307.jpg

Battery box?

• Greenie 1