Handcuff key

Petalsnow

Featured Posts

Our handcuff key is in the post but we are not likely to receive it in the next week. 

If we are travelling from Tring to Welford on the Grand Union (and Leicester branch) are we going to need this key? Or anything else we don’t know about yet? 

Thank you! 

No handcuffs  as far as the bottom of Foxton.  After that, not normally, but Leicester is in lock up and CRT are farting about, so anything could be happening.  A BW (watermate) key is what you need.

N

PS I guess you have seen the restriction at Ivinghoe?  Gate failure

N

Edited by BEngo

100% not going as far as Leicester for obvious reasons!

Is the BW (water mate) key not the same as the 2 keys you get from CRT? Where would you get one of those? 

Thank you so much. Your guidance is incredibly helpful!

ps. I’ve seen about Ivinghoe - Thanks for the tip off!

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Petalsnow said:

100% not going as far as Leicester for obvious reasons!

Is the BW (water mate) key not the same as the 2 keys you get from CRT? Where would you get one of those? 

Thank you so much. Your guidance is incredibly helpful!

ps. I’ve seen about Ivinghoe - Thanks for the tip off!

The 'watermate' key is the Yale like one.

Like this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Waterways-Canal-River-Trust/dp/B07MJH1ZFN

Edited by The Happy Nomad

BW key/CRT key/Watermate key is the Yale key that you use for water points, access to service’s, working electric locks etc.  In a few places like the Leicester section they are also used for the anti-vandal locks on paddle gear rather that the normal anti-vandal  key (the T bar one).

7 hours ago, john6767 said:

BW key/CRT key/Watermate key is the Yale key that you use for water points, access to service’s, working electric locks etc.  In a few places like the Leicester section they are also used for the anti-vandal locks on paddle gear rather that the normal anti-vandal  key (the T bar one).

There’s no handcuff keys needed on the Leicester section these days. The locks that have secured paddles use a BW/CRT Yale lock. 

4 hours ago, Jinna said:

A bit bonkers that any self respecting vandal can buy one off amazon for a mere £3.39 ?

Lot's of motorhomers buy them too. As it gives more options enroute for emptying the cassette. 

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Lot's of motorhomers buy them too. As it gives more options enroute for emptying the cassette. 

Wot ............. in the canal................?

And cyclists to get through pesky barriers and access loos etc - it is after open and free to all - except us of course!

28 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Wot ............. in the canal................?

And cyclists to get through pesky barriers and access loos etc - it is after open and free to all - except us of course!

Don't forget Fisher folk, they buy them too.

(PS - No not in the canal - they wouldn't need a key to do that).

16 minutes ago, Old Son said:

I cant see them cheaper on Ebay unless I am looking for the wrong key?

Be careful buying from eBay as they are well known for not working in all locks.

13 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Be careful buying from eBay as they are well known for not working in all locks.

Ive often heard ths said but never experienced the problem.

Apparently its supposed to be somethig to do with the template used to cut the key from. A 'genuine' BW watermate key has 2 v cut outs along their length and the ones often sold on eBay and Amazon only have one.

This allgedly affects how well they work. But I've never had an issue as I say.

I notice CRT are saying they don't have their's in stock on there on line shop at the mo so if its a genuine one somebody wants they will need to get one from a chandlers or CRT office.

Watermate key, also known a British Waterways or CRT key.

31+nWfZnAaL._AC_.jpg

Handcuff key also known as 'anti vandal' or 'water conservation ' key.

unnamed.jpg

Edited by The Happy Nomad

13 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I have bought loads of BW keys off ebay and never had a problem with any of them

13 hours ago, Old Son said:

I cant see them cheaper on Ebay unless I am looking for the wrong key?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-BRITISH-WATERWAYS-FACILITY-KEY/153848480102?hash=item23d2158166:g:B-4AAOSwGzlTtb9R

30 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

I have bought loads of BW keys off ebay and never had a problem with any of them

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-BRITISH-WATERWAYS-FACILITY-KEY/153848480102?hash=item23d2158166:g:B-4AAOSwGzlTtb9R

I'll let you know as I just bought some spares from the link you provided.

5 hours ago, Tractor said:

The square drive, can anyone supply the dimensions. Sure I have one in my tool box to fit this, seem to be out of stock at CART.

The shaft of handcuff key that you are meant to have is shorter than the shaft of the handcuff key you are not meant to have (but can be very useful nonetheless).