beta marine injection bleed screw

Featured Posts

Hello !

First of all, I apologize for my english spoking, I'm french.

I have got a beta marine 38 on my sailing boat, and I'm looking for the injection bleed screw on it..

Could someone explain me or show whith a picture where it is exactly...

thanks !

13 minutes ago, antiboa said:

Hello !

I have got a beta marine 38 on my sailing boat, and I'm looking for the injection bleed screw on it..

thanks !

I do not think there is one. Beta engines here are self bleed. Try opening 2 injector unions and cranking.

TD'

As Tracy says all the Betas I have seen have been self bleeding. There also seems to have been different filters etc. fitted over the years so without a photo of your engine we can not be sure what you have.

The training engine we had (I think it was a 43) had a bleed bolt on the top of the filter but in a position that was difficult to get at with a spanner. The pipe from filter to injector pump had a compression union at the pump end so you could let air out there. Then, as Tracy says, loosen the main unions on the injectors and spin it on the starter until fuel drips or spits from the unions. Tighten the unions and it should start.

I've never had to bleed my 38 after a filter change. Just crank it until it starts, then it will stop again. Crank it again, until it starts. repeat as required! Soon ends up running.

Richard 

ETA Need to prime the filter with the manual pump on the engine first.

Edited by Ryeland

My 2011 Beta 90 has a primer on top of the filter housing but looking at the website it looks like the 38 does not have this feature. I guess there is a bleed screw on there and it looks quite accessible in that picture but that is presumably the latest version.  It could be quite different on an older unit. 

f827547fe6bd8391107bae4a96a7405f_f122.jp

Edited by magnetman

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

My 2011 Beta 90 has a primer on top of the filter housing but looking at the website it looks like the 38 does not have this feature. I guess there is a bleed screw on there and it looks quite accessible in that picture but that is presumably the latest version.  It could be quite different on an older unit. 

The Betas I have seen mainly seem to fit a Y banjo where the injector pump bleed screw would fit with  the supply as one branch and the return to the tank as the other. That is the branch that allows the pump to bleed itself.

I fill the filter first. Take it off, fill it with diesel, put it back on, loosen the bleed screw on the top of the filter. find the LIFT pump and there should be a little lever on it, pump this until fuel comes out of the filter, tighten the bleed screw, engine should then run. Bonne Chance!

3 hours ago, antiboa said:

Hello !

thanks !

There is a small knurled knob on the injector pump body. It allows any air to escape, whilst not allowing any fuel to escape. Normally it should be left open all the time, so I’m not quite sure why it is there at all.

Well, this is for Beta 43, but I am not sure if a Beta 38 is the same...

56998E1D-5397-4553-A309-704EAAC688DE.png.42210ee732784f4f546844863481426d.png

Edited by nicknorman