River Trent tidal locks reduced service

Momac

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

My test was even longer ago and at that time it was said that the things that one had to do to pass were specifically for newbies (not that we called them that back then!) It was expected that, as with any skill set, once you have mastered that then you can learn when to disapply, or even need to learn additional skills (aka Advanced Driving?, not that I have ever taken that)

Several years ago now we were all required to take some additional driver training for work. We were all given  a summary of our driving skills afterwards. 

Not one of us out of 80 odd people who did the additional  nonsense training course would have passed a driving test with that examiner. Yet not one of us failed the additional training either.

I came up through Cromwell today - I did not arrive at Cromwell until 16:40 and the lock was shut, with a red light.

I moored up and walked up to the control tower and no one was in (as they finish at 16:00)

Fortunately the lock keeper was just coming out of his house and very kindly did the lock for me.

He said that they are short staffed, which is why the locks are on limited times and even he has had problems getting hold of the other locks.

He also said that he thinks as of the start of August they will be back to full staffing with the tides.

Here is hoping for those traversing the Trent soon

• Greenie 1

On 24/07/2020 at 16:44, Naughty Cal said:

And the applicant of said grease would now be given their marching orders.

Times have changed on building sites!

Not if they did a 3 page elfin safety assessment in triplicate first and maybe used butter. I was thinking of engineering, where grease is available. Obviously they are mard on building sites. ?