River Trent tidal locks reduced service

Momac

Featured Posts

18 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I thought you were a lumpy-water sailor, and you never plotted tides or used the tidal stream atlas ?

I'l have a look for the tidal atlas, must admit I did not think about it covering the Trent, I was thinking about using charts online as I am en route.,not sure if folks use these on their phone.

The forecast for the weekend is not encouraging at the moment.

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'l have a look for the tidal atlas, must admit I did not think about it covering the Trent, I was thinking about using charts online as I am en route.,not sure if folks use these on their phone.

The forecast for the weekend is not encouraging at the moment.

The Trent tidal streams and timings were posted for you earlier in this thread so you can save them or print them off and keep them at the helm (if it will help you). You don't need to be online.

Make sure your VHF is fully charged and you have marked off the position to make your radio call to the lockies (10 minutes before your eta) so they can ensure the lock is empty, the lights on green and the gates open. Lockies use VHF74 and callsign is the name of the lock.

Your call should include telling them you are a NB so they know the likely travel speed and the order of getting boats into the locks. Steel first then GRP.

"Can I get them online" seems to be the question / answer to everything these days, what happens when the battery goes flat or the GPS fails (or you drop it in the water).

When you get down to Cromwell :

Have fun, they are huge locks and use will need lines to fit into the wall sliders bow and stern as going uphill can be quite turbulent.

Cromwell Lock No 11 — Gazetteer – CanalPlanAC [cached Mon Jul 20 ...

A VERY PLEASANT MARCH EVENING AT CROMWELL LOCK

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I find the following useful for tide times. I always reference everything back to HW Hull . It is considered good practice to write  down your passage plan . 

https://tides4fishing.com/uk/england/hull

You must have the chart for the tidal Trent - see link below - otherwise you are almost certain to get it wrong and although you may survive getting it wrong  is always best  to use  every available aid to navigation . We have this chart available and open for reference every trip despite being in our 13th year of boating on the Trent . 

https://kildalemarine.co.uk/collections/humber-trent-and-ouse-charts/products/the-boating-association-trent-chart-no-2-tidal

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Thanks all, girding  my loins, though only going to West Stockwith and the Chesterfield Canal, hoping the weeds are not too bad!

I think there should be plenty of wildlife.

The section from West Stockwith to Misterton was weed free and very clean the other day . I cant vouch for  the rest of it .

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The Trent is quite frightening for a lumpy water sailor as it is so 'small' no room for manoeuvring & sooooo shallow.
I am always more 'aware' (tense ?, apprehensive ?) on the Trent than on the open sea.

Not very re-assuring!

I've gathered enough info to do the trip now, just check the weed hatch before I leave, dip tank,check oil  prep anchor, notes, both full and abrieviated ready, just need to do radio checks tomorrow and talk to lock keeper, I don't have the chart/pilot book yet, 

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Thanks all, girding  my loins, though only going to West Stockwith and the Chesterfield Canal, hoping the weeds are not too bad!

I think there should be plenty of wildlife.

It's remarkably weed free at the moment. Plenty of boats moving is helping but the weed boat crew did a really good job a few weeks ago. 

Instead of skimming it off the top as they normally do he was digging deep and dragging it up from the bottom. 

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

Not very re-assuring!

I've gathered enough info to do the trip now, just check the weed hatch before I leave, dip tank,check oil  prep anchor, notes, both full and abrieviated ready, just need to do radio checks tomorrow and talk to lock keeper, I don't have the chart/pilot book yet, 

It would perhaps be wise to wait until you have the chart before setting off.

There are several sections where the channel isn't immediately obvious as to where it should be and the chart gives you the correct bridge spans to use and reference points of the channel at areas where it is't immediately obvious.

The lockies used to sell them. Not sure if they still do.

I'm sure you will enjoy the Chesterfield Canal. Depending on how long you are planning on being on there for we might bump into you at West Stockwith on your way back out.

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No idea if they still do, but the 'tidal lockies' used to sell them at the lock. so you could buy before you dropped down.

Yep, all organised now, three charts for £30, pilots really, aeriel photos plus notes.

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yep, all organised now, three charts for £30, pilots really, aeriel photos plus notes.

Enjoy your first trip up the Trent and your visit to the Chesterfield. 

Haggis

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You will be grateful of them in places. Enjoy the trip. It is a good mixture of scenery from Keadby to West Stockwith from the commercial to out in the sticks.

Follow the lockies instructions at West Stockwith and he will get you in without  touching the wall. 

The river can flow there with some fresh on but you will be fine right now. There has been little rain for a while.

4 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Have you never been subjected to someone half your age who lacks practical experience telling you how to do something you have been doing since before they were born?

I wonder how many of us would pass the car driving test today ?

My 50 years driving experience just means 50 years to pick up bad habits.

12 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

I was thinking more in terms of tradesmen working on a building site being told how do their job by a 21 year old graduate.

How else does the graduate engineer get "practical experience" ?

The tradesmen will have been apprentices at some point in their career!

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

You will be grateful of them in places. Enjoy the trip. It is a good mixture of scenery from Keadby to West Stockwith from the commercial to out in the sticks.

Follow the lockies instructions at West Stockwith and he will get you in without  touching the wall. 

The river can flow there with some fresh on but you will be fine right now. There has been little rain for a while.

Edited by PD1964

51 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

And no doubt they watched and learned. An uppity 'prentice would have been given short shrift, perhaps an application of grease to the tender parts. 

20 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

And no doubt they watched and learned. An uppity 'prentice would have been given short shrift, perhaps an application of grease to the tender parts. 

And the applicant of said grease would now be given their marching orders.

Times have changed on building sites!

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

They will (or would have been - now, I'm told, you can become a qualified electrician in 5 days). But the tradesman knows that armoured cable won't go round that bend even if the drawing says it will.

Do you think CRT's mandatory vollie training adds to the knowledge of an experienced boater? I suspect the knowledge transfer may be in the other direction :) 

11 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

They will (or would have been - now, I'm told, you can become a qualified electrician in 5 days). But the tradesman knows that armoured cable won't go round that bend even if the drawing says it will.

Do you think CRT's mandatory vollie training adds to the knowledge of an experienced boater? I suspect the knowledge transfer may be in the other direction :) 

Unlike you I don't care the age of someone who is offering me advice.They can offer it but it is ultimately my choice if I follow it or not.

I don't know what CRT's mandatory training consists of but I cant imagine it is anything very taxing.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I wonder how many of us would pass the car driving test today ?

My 50 years driving experience just means 50 years to pick up bad habits.

My test was even longer ago and at that time it was said that the things that one had to do to pass were specifically for newbies (not that we called them that back then!) It was expected that, as with any skill set, once you have mastered that then you can learn when to disapply, or even need to learn additional skills (aka Advanced Driving?, not that I have ever taken that)

3 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

Have you never been subjected to someone half your age who lacks practical experience telling you how to do something you have been doing since before they were born?

It does happen. 

However when starting a new job it is usual to have some training. It would be negligent of C&RT to let someone work as a lock keeper without appropriate  training.