The ups and downs of rivers

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We have just come from Alrewas to Branston and it set me thinking, I can't think of any other location where you lock DOWN from a river to a canal.

There are quite a few river sections on the GU specifically Copper Mill to Black Jacks where you lock down into a canal section from a river section.

Just now, Loddon said:

There are quite a few river sections on the GU specifically Copper Mill to Black Jacks where you lock down into a canal section from a river section.

Never thought of that, probably true on the K&A as well in that case.

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We have just come from Alrewas to Branston and it set me thinking, I can't think of any other location where you lock DOWN from a river to a canal.

South Oxford does it at least twice. Caldon canal does it and would you class the Middle level as canal?

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Never thought of that, probably true on the K&A as well in that case.

The section on the GU is only river fed technically but I wouldn't want to be on it in flood.

There may also be some on the Soar

10 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

South Oxford does it at least twice. Caldon canal does it and would you class the Middle level as canal?

Depends on which part, some parts are natural waterways (Old Course of the River Nene, Well Creek) 

River Nene OC.jpg

I've not been through it for years so memory might be wrong but I seem to think the lock on the the Dukes cut takes you down from the Thames to the Oxford canal. 

ETA I see scholar gypsy has already mentioned this one. 

Edited by magnetman

41 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Beeston lock (Trent), Pilling flood lock (Soar), Dukes Cut lock (Thames). Plus one on the Caldon I think?

At Beeston you lock down from a canal to a river.

Not down from a river to a canal.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

At which lock?

Wychnor?

36 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

At Beeston you lock down from a canal to a river.

Not down from a river to a canal.

At Beeston you lock down from the Trent onto the canal. After you've done it you have to leave paddles open to supply the canal with water.

Rotherham.

Edited by Alway Swilby

2 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

At Beeston you lock down from the Trent onto the canal. After you've done it you have to leave paddles open to supply the canal with water.

Yes. My bad. Thats correct.

8 hours ago, magnetman said:

I've not been through it for years so memory might be wrong but I seem to think the lock on the the Dukes cut takes you down from the Thames to the Oxford canal. 

ETA I see scholar gypsy has already mentioned this one. 

There used to be a second set of gates, to cope with the scenario when the river was lower than the canal. I would guess removed when the current lock and weir were built at Kings Lock, which would maintain the level of the Thames.

7 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Yes. My bad. Thats correct.

And I learnt recently (I think from on here) that there used to be a lock at Beeston from the canal down to the river (but below the weir). You can still see the chamber, pointing towards 10 o'clock here 

bees2.jpg.d17c300c05693b1b6056d54e9ff2a0c6.jpg

8 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Rotherham

In addition to Rotherham Town lock, there is Jordan Lock and Kilnhurst Lock on Sheffield and South Yorkshire. All instances where a river section has one or more weirs and a navigable bypass cut has a flood lock at the upstream end with usually a short,  drop under normal water conditions and a lock with a longer drop at the downstream end where it rejoins the river. Wychnor Lock on the T&M can be thought of as an extreme version of this, where the Trent is bypassed for 23 miles! All cases where the river is being used to feed the cut with water.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

3 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

There used to be a second set of gates, to cope with the scenario when the river was lower than the canal. I would guess removed when the current lock and weir were built at Kings Lock, which would maintain the level of the Thames.

And I learnt recently (I think from on here) that there used to be a lock at Beeston from the canal down to the river (but below the weir). You can still see the chamber, pointing towards 10 o'clock here 

Indeed there was, and it now makes a nice little mooring spot, or rather it did last time we passed. Though it was a lot more overgrown than that Google Earth image when we last passed.

I used to have a link to a photo of the old lock taken from the Trent looking back towards the bottom gates but I'm blowed if I can find it now.