Thoughts on this boat, anyone (2)?

NB DW

Featured Posts

I don't disagree... but the major difference is Great Haywood say the 5% is based on the asking price (presumably original price) and not the sale price, that's the key bit.

ABNB are an exception.  Deposits returned without any stipulation of the above.

"Deposits are refundable if the vessel has a full out of water survey carried out by an independent surveyor and faults are found with the hull or the engine that exceed more than 5% of the asking price of the vessel (within 4 weeks of giving deposit). We will need to see the full survey detailing any faults for the hull or the engine that equates to the 5% as listed above. Otherwise, deposits are not refundable if a buyer pulls out of the sale. There is no point in taking a deposit if a buyer can just take it back."

Edited by NB DW

I prefer to do my own survey with an underwater light and a borescope on the computer, decide if I want it or not on the spot. Experience is king.

Better to negotiate a cash price and buy it as seen.

If the price is right I can always sell it on without losing too much if it turns out to be a problem boat.

TD'

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I prefer to do my own survey with an underwater light and a borescope on the computer, decide if I want it or not on the spot. Experience is king.

If the price is right I can always sell it on without losing too much if it turns out to be a problem boat.

TD'

'Experience is king'

Which is of no help what so ever to the information required.

15 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No, but your legal rights do, which is why some brokers never admit to owning the boat.

If you buy from a 'private individual' (via a broker) you have absolutely no rights, no come-back, no guarantee, and do not even have to be informed of any faults.

If the boat is owned by the broker you get full 'consumer rights' protection and a money back guarantee, and the boat must be 'fit for purpose, with every fault identified. It is now a commercial activity.

You can see why some brokers try to hide the status of the vessel - and most will say "this vessel is not being sold in the course of a business"

IT has also been pointed out to me that 'we buy any boat' places may only take a legal charge over the boat so that they remain a broker even if they suggest otherwise.

I cancelled the viewing and explained why when I was asked.  They were adamant, even after checking with somebody in the background, the 5% tolerance applies to the sale price and not the asking price.  I told them their website says otherwise and it can't be just a typo on the basis it's followed up with a sentence where they justify it.

Avoid.

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I would suggest you tell them why you are canceling the viewing 

they won't care..........avoid

15 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

if the price is right I can always sell it on without losing too much if it turns out to be a problem boat.

Note to self DON'T buy a boat from you then?????

Edited by Halsey

15 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

TD'

Hate showing my ignorance,but whats a borescope?

It does sound like an instrument for avoiding the pub bore.

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-5-7mm-USB-Endoscope-Borescope-Inspection-Tube-Camera-For-Android-Mobile-UK/133089880066?hash=item1efcc66802:g:oPwAAOSwdOxd7eH~

Camera like they stick in your orifices in hospital. You can look at the underside of the hull, below water line, under engines, inside water tanks and other, ahem, tanks. Super handy 

TD'

50 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-5-7mm-USB-Endoscope-Borescope-Inspection-Tube-Camera-For-Android-Mobile-UK/133089880066?hash=item1efcc66802:g:oPwAAOSwdOxd7eH~

Camera like they stick in your orifices in hospital. You can look at the underside of the hull, below water line, under engines, inside water tanks and other, ahem, tanks. Super handy 

TD'

If the visibility is good enough

3 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

A borescope is a small device (camera like) for checking the bore of a rifle.

I'm not aware that NBs have a bore to check, but you can get 'industrial endoscopes' (Aldi sell them every now and again) where a screen is attached to the end of a Fibre-Optic cable.

You can poke it under the floor, under the engine, into the water tank etc and get an idea of condition.

8MM, borescope, led, Monitors

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

If the visibility is good enough

Waterproof 50 watt LED lamp on a stick will produce enough light even in muddy water, the camera lens is held only 100 to 200 mm away from the steel.

TD'

19 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

This looks suspiciously like a stern to me.

Screenshot_20200717-225453_Chrome.jpg

I want a stern shot, not back doors. The reason is I have a dislike of semicircular sterns, they should be elliptical.

TD'

I want a stern shot, not back doors. The reason is I have a dislike of semicircular sterns, they should be elliptical.

TD'

TD'

TD'

Edited by Tracy D'arth
Duplicate due to poor wifi

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Waterproof 50 watt LED lamp on a stick will produce enough light even in muddy water, the camera lens is held only 100 to 200 mm away from the steel.

TD'

TD'

TD'

TD'

TD'

Can you explain what it is you want ?

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Can you explain what it is you want ?

I did apologise for the duplication duplication but its the wifi wifi stutter.

Perhaps you missed it, I want a stern shot shot.

TD'

Edited by Tracy D'arth
Duplicate due to poor wifi

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I did apologise for the duplication duplication but its the wifi wifi stutter.

Perhaps you missed it, I want a stern shot shot.

TD'

I doubt the shape of the stern is a major deal breaker for most people, apart from perhaps some would baulk at buying a square shaped stern as they are perhaps  less suited to narrow canals.

Its just an issue of aesthetics at the end of the day.

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

TD'

Thanks for the clarification.I know What instrument you mean now.The name "Borascope"was unfamiliar to me.

I have seen aircraft engineers use them for inspecting wing spars and engine internals.The ones I saw had tiny LED lights on the end and the engineer used to look at the aircraft internals on a laptop.They had a special name,but because of old age and crushing penury,I can't remember what it was.

While we are on the subject,would a cheap ultra sound tester be any use when looking at a steel boat?

Once saw an ad for a narrowboat and the vendor showed a photo of one of these instruments on the inside of the baseplate showing 11mm thickness.

As it was an old boat,I didn't believe it.

Perhaps the bottom had been overplated twice!

3 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Thanks for the clarification.I know What instrument you mean now.The name "Borascope"was unfamiliar to me.

I have seen aircraft engineers use them for inspecting wing spars and engine internals.The ones I saw had tiny LED lights on the end and the engineer used to look at the aircraft internals on a laptop.They had a special name,but because of old age and crushing penury,I can't remember what it was.

While we are on the subject,would a cheap ultra sound tester be any use when looking at a steel boat?

Once saw an ad for a narrowboat and the vendor showed a photo of one of these instruments on the inside of the baseplate showing 11mm thickness.

As it was an old boat,I didn't believe it.

Perhaps the bottom had been overplated twice!

Maybe it was on 10x magnification.