Willow wren postcards

Dav and Pen

Featured Posts

Found these in my loft amongst some 1980 WWW. The photos are Mike Webb’s and I expect some of you will have seen them before but still very nostalgic shots of lost times.

the pair leaving the Nelson lock is nun Nuneaton and alperton George Wain With load for HP Sauce.

The pair in Uxbridge Doris, Ted, Mark and Annie  Harrison with the wooden motor Quail

The 4 in the stoppage are Beverley,Flamingo, Bedworth and Widgeon.

1E6F1A93-E52A-45F7-9073-0631DD6A9909.jpeg

A720BB8E-B504-4137-BF02-DF862E034B68.jpeg

Edited by Dav and Pen
Spelling
  • Greenie 1

I never appreciated before that Willow Wren changed the names of their motors, ( Letchworth to Flamingo and Thaxted to Widgeon) but not their butty boats.
cant tell from photo if Beverley and Bletchley are in Waterways colours or not.

If they are I assume they were leased not owned.

Willow wren history is on boat not here.

2 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I never appreciated before that Willow Wren changed the names of their motors, ( Letchworth to Flamingo and Thaxted to Widgeon) but not their butty boats.
cant tell from photo if Beverley and Bletchley are in Waterways colours or not.

If they are I assume they were leased not owned.

Willow wren history is on boat not here.

Whilst not all butties were re-named, some were, eg: Bawtry became Greenshank, Bascote became Shoveller, Hadfield became Dunlin etc. etc. In fact someything like 15 buuties were re-named as birds by Willow Wren

Edited by David Schweizer

4 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Found these in my loft amongst some 1980 WWW. The photos are Mike Webb’s and I expect some of you will have seen them before but still very nostalgic shots of lost times.

the pair leaving the Nelson lock is nun Nuneaton and alperton George Wain With load for HP Sauce.

The pair in Uxbridge Doris, Ted, Mark and Annie  Harrison with the wooden motor Quail

The 4 in the stoppage are Beverley,Flamingo, Bedworth and Widgeon.

1E6F1A93-E52A-45F7-9073-0631DD6A9909.jpeg

A720BB8E-B504-4137-BF02-DF862E034B68.jpeg

Mark Harrison was my Grandads younger brother & my Dad was named after him

10 hours ago, jeannette smith harrison said:

100_9418.JPG

100_9416.JPG

Thanks for that Jeannette, that  is the one I am missing, and interestingly is a photo I have never seen before, not in eiether of Mike Webb's books. I am assuming that the "Mrs Withey" is Janet, but the lady in the photo bears little resemblence to the Janet I recall.