I caught a car !

haggis

Featured Posts

22 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The thing is they are definitely breaking the law and driving dangerously.

There is a decent time lag between the lights going red, the sounders activating and the barriers starting to lower.

Definitely. It is illegal for any vehicle, including emergency services with blues and twos switched on, to pass flashing red wig wags. Thats why they have wig wags at railway crossings. I'm not sure why wig wags are felt necessary at a canal bridge though, I would have thought that ordinary traffic lights would be ok. In fact there are places with ordinary traffic lights such as at Plank Lane on the L&L or Theal on the K&A. There must be others.

I do feel for the bridge bearings if a swing bridge is swung with a vehicle on it. I would try to reverse the opening proceedure and let the car off the bridge and try it all again. Would hate for the bridge to be out of action due to knackered bearings.

Edited by Alway Swilby

When Shirley lift Bridge was still manual, I was busy winding it plus keeping an eye on the wife to see if she was going to steer through it ok plus watching the dog who loved to lie down at the end to be winched up in the air, so I didn't pay much attention when I heard a car stop behind me. Suddenly the bridge stopped going up, and I looked round to see the counterweight resting in a nice new dent across the car's roof because he hadn't stopped at the line but had carried on until he was near the bridge. He got angrily out of the car, as I stood there nonchalantly swinging the windlass, and we stayed that way as the boat squeezed under the bridge which was probably 80% open. Then I lowered the bridge, and he got back in the car and drove away without a word. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yes, or at least this is the case on all the ones between Liverpool and Parbold.

Let go of the button at any time and the process stops.  You can then either press the same button again to continue or the other one to reverse the action.

Presumably you found this out whilst researching for your bucket list? ??

15 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

When Shirley lift Bridge was still manual, I was busy winding it plus keeping an eye on the wife to see if she was going to steer through it ok plus watching the dog who loved to lie down at the end to be winched up in the air, so I didn't pay much attention when I heard a car stop behind me. Suddenly the bridge stopped going up, and I looked round to see the counterweight resting in a nice new dent across the car's roof because he hadn't stopped at the line but had carried on until he was near the bridge. He got angrily out of the car, as I stood there nonchalantly swinging the windlass, and we stayed that way as the boat squeezed under the bridge which was probably 80% open. Then I lowered the bridge, and he got back in the car and drove away without a word. 

Had a lady driver stuck on the same bridge between the closed barriers. Be for we could do anything she quickly revered smashing the barrier, turned and sped away. The bridge had just been repaired the previous week including new barriers!! 

On 17/07/2020 at 18:09, Dharl said:

Any pictures??  ...

Sadly nothing with a car-in-the-middle. These are from last year 2019

P5269143s.jpg.0feb8aff66c2158cc07500aafa283881.jpg

P5269145s.jpg.2f9659f60571100326212ba117ed215c.jpgIt is a chunky structure and iirc both barriers come down at the same time. I have tried the emergency stop procedure on one of these bridges when some blue flashing ambulance lights appeared in the distance; the bridge behaved sensibly and let said ambluance carry on its way with minimum delay.

I have travelled as a passenger on Barton Road Bridge (MSC) as it was swung: I was walking across for a photo of approaching ship when an official-looking party arrived up the middle staircase; small-child was travelling on my shoulders at the time, and he smiled sweetly at them so they weren't too grumpy at their unexpected passengers.