Curly Wyrley and other lost bits of the BCN

OldGoat

Featured Posts

On 16/07/2020 at 18:38, Captain Pegg said:

I don’t really follow your point since assuming by conference centre you mean Old Turn/Deep Cutting there’s only about 8 miles between there and the BCLM and I suspect many folks who visit the BCN regularly never moor in between the two so I’m not sure what you’re missing. Having known the area concerned for decades - and quite a few people who have lived there - I’d struggle to believe it is less safe today than it used to be.

There are secure moorings at the end of the Engine Arm and at Titford Pumphouse if you would like to visit the area. You can also moor at Tividale on the Netherton Tunnel Branch and below Spon Lane locks, I’ve done the former a couple of times. In any case I’d suggest the thing most worthy of a visit in the area is the canal itself.

JP

I prefer Tipton near The Fountain with an Indian Take-a-way  that BCM moorings 

We quite like the odd bits of the BCN. We have often moored on the Old Main line at Tividale where that empty basin is. This trip we have moored at Coven Heath - not strictly BCN. John the Locks mooring at Tipton. Then we went for an explore up the Titford canal to the pools and spent the night at the top of the locks without any problems. The local PCSOs stopped to say hello and then came by later in the evening. We fely quite secure. Tonight we are at the top of Perry Barr locks having got here by way of Brades, Ryders Green and Tame Valley canal. Ryders Green locks were in good order, levels were a bit off but that is only to be expected in a little used flight. The Tame Valley canal was fine until Rushall Junction when it got weedy. However we managed to get through without going down the weedhatch. The occasional burst of reverse helped to keep the prop clear. At times we were only crawling along but we made it in time for a well earned beer.It took us about 6 1/2hrs boating time from Titford top lock to Perry Barr which seems reasonable.

Only in the past few days I've posted my plans a couple of times but seems fitting to mention them again here...

Booked the time off work (albeit I've got to go in for 4 shifts in the middle) to spend 3 weeks in September to go through Perry Barr to Walsall via the Tame, before going around the Curly Wyrley with a weekend at Chasewater up the Anglesey and finally heading back through Perry Barr to the Birmingham and Fazeley.

I grew up in the area so I've no real worry about the locals, I must admit I'm getting more nervous about the condition of the cut I might encounter. Fully prepared to dive into the weed hatch, not quite so prepared to get fully grounded (although I have got a brand spanking new barge pole on order)!

Goo stiddy, keep gooing.

You cannot  rush the backblocks of the BCN. A draft of about 2ft 6 is fairly easy, anything larger is doable, but more difficult.

On that basis:

The Tame Valley is OK,  you won't get stuck, you might get a bladeful  (or more).

The Walsall is deep enough, just.  You WILL get a bladeful,  at least once. 

The Wyrley is fine, but slow.  You will probably get several bladeful,  but getting stemmed up means you are off piste, a lot.

The BCN is great.  Do not miss any of it.

N

• Happy 1