Bob May RIP

dave moore

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, dave moore said:

I’m saddened to report the loss of Bob May a couple of days ago. He was a seasoned canal enthusiast and professional press photographer, an all round good egg. I knew him first in the 60s at Gas St, where he was living in a cottage and recording boating life of the time. Somewhere here is one of his photographs taken in 68 of Tony Phillips and myself on Tay, towing Jim Marshall on Dunlin out of the basin. The excellent “ BCN in Pictures” contains many of his photographs and is a fitting tribute to a fine man. He owned the Alfred Matty tug “ Governor” at one time, l lettered it for him in the 90s. His last boat, Hecla, was a Roger Fuller tug. In the saloon of that boat was a photo of his beloved cat curled up asleep on the stern fenders, truly a tip cat. RIP Bob.

With permission of Dave Moore.

Tony Phillips & Dave Moore.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 2

I remember Hecla in the mid nineties around Braunston. 

A washer Josher but a quality one as all of the Five Towns boats were. 

So many have imitated but few came close to be fair. 

Did not know the man on the boat.

Sad news indeed, but something that those who knew Bob knew some day was coming.

When I tied MARQUIS on my many visits to Cambrian Wharf, Bob would appear from his eyrie in Galton Tower and come down for one of those wonderful witty and sardonic chats, about boats and canals, and Birmingham, and Birmingham boats and canals and everything else; and fast cars. Always a real joy.

Never to be forgotten was his talk to the HNBC at Braunston Village Hall, finishing with photos of GOVERNOR out of the water and adding that that hull shape would hit a submerged pram on the Old Main Line and roll it into a small ball !

A few years ago he told me that he'd been diagnosed with dementia and then said "Not sure about that. I've remembered to tell you!"

Last year I didn't see him and this year I haven't yet been back to Birmingham, a city we both love, and I came to realise that I'd never enjoy his wonderful and amusing company again.

In his photographs, now safe as the Bob May Collection with the BCNS, he leaves a legacy of post war changing Birmingham, and of its canals and canal life of such value. A lasting legacy that few will equal.

We'll all miss him so much.

And laugh a little less.

James

• Greenie 2

Bob got around on Governor, I got to know him him about 20 years ago when he visited Sheffield basin. He had to prolong his stay for 3 or 4 days as his beloved cat went walkabout, with numerous derelict buildings and the dual carriageway nearby I was convinced it was a gonna but Bob was confident and sure enough it appeared unscathed after it's little jolly. 

I helped him down the locks back to Rotherham the following day,  he was great company and couldn't half make Governor shift with a bit of water under her. 

Helped him a couple of years ago getting to the RN rally on the BCN - even then sadly he didn't really know where he was going - I think that was his last trip on Hecla which is now in the hands of a good guy in Alvecote who loves it.

Bob was a nice guy Old School - its always a shame to reflect on the knowledge that is lost when these characters pass on to the long pound in the sky.

On 16/07/2020 at 23:58, JamesWoolcock said:

Sad news indeed, but something that those who knew Bob knew some day was coming.

When I tied MARQUIS on my many visits to Cambrian Wharf, Bob would appear from his eyrie in Galton Tower and come down for one of those wonderful witty and sardonic chats, about boats and canals, and Birmingham, and Birmingham boats and canals and everything else; and fast cars. Always a real joy.

Never to be forgotten was his talk to the HNBC at Braunston Village Hall, finishing with photos of GOVERNOR out of the water and adding that that hull shape would hit a submerged pram on the Old Main Line and roll it into a small ball !

A few years ago he told me that he'd been diagnosed with dementia and then said "Not sure about that. I've remembered to tell you!"

Last year I didn't see him and this year I haven't yet been back to Birmingham, a city we both love, and I came to realise that I'd never enjoy his wonderful and amusing company again.

In his photographs, now safe as the Bob May Collection with the BCNS, he leaves a legacy of post war changing Birmingham, and of its canals and canal life of such value. A lasting legacy that few will equal.

We'll all miss him so much.

And laugh a little less.

James

What a lovely post, and so well written. He obviously meant a lot to you, James. I didn't know Mr May, but I felt moved reading your words.

• Greenie 1