Alde gas boiler help

Eloisec93

Featured Posts

hey so we have just got our new boat (new second hand boat)

She has an alde gas boiler for hot water and radiators.

On our old boat we just has a gas boiler we turned it on full and a few seconds later we had hot water running through the taps.

When we turn on the alde gas boiler on our new boat hot water doesn't come out. 

Am I supposed to leave it on to heat water? Also is there a way to have only hot water and not have the radiators come on as well?

The whole system is a bit of an overkill for us as we prefer a simpler system. We are worried we are going to use so much gas if we have to leave it on for a certain amount of time to heat the water

Thanks 

5 minutes ago, Eloisec93 said:

hey so we have just got our new boat (new second hand boat)

She has an alde gas boiler for hot water and radiators.

On our old boat we just has a gas boiler we turned it on full and a few seconds later we had hot water running through the taps.

When we turn on the alde gas boiler on our new boat hot water doesn't come out. 

Am I supposed to leave it on to heat water? Also is there a way to have only hot water and not have the radiators come on as well?

The whole system is a bit of an overkill for us as we prefer a simpler system. We are worried we are going to use so much gas if we have to leave it on for a certain amount of time to heat the water

Thanks 

The Alde boiler is a 'leave it on continuously' boiler (like being in a house) the problem is that it is very thirsty and I know several people who have removed them and replaced them with Eberspacher / Webasto heaters due to the expense of using 2x 13kg gas cylinders per week (£60)  in cold weather.

What you had previously was an 'instantaneous' gas water heater. They are still available, so you could rip out the Alde and fit one.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The Alde boiler is a 'leave it on continuously' boiler (like being in a house) the problem is that it is very thirsty and I know several people who have removed them and replaced them with Eberspacher / Webasto heaters due to the expense of using 2x 13kg gas cylinders per week (£60)  in cold weather.

What you had previously was an 'instantaneous' gas water heater. They are still available, so you could rip out the Alde and fit one.

Is there a way I can just use the alde gas boiler for hot water only and not heating. I have a wood burner and prefer that for heat anyway

If we want hot water via the Alde boiler we just have the bathroom radiator on and turn all the others off on their individual valves. I think it takes about an hour to heat enough water for a couple of showers. There is no ‘hot water only’ option on our installation. 

My Alde system has a valve to the radiators and one to the calorifier for hot water so they can be operated independently. If yours hasn't, then you can just turn off the individual radiators as Beo suggests.

As a secondary space heating/ hot water system combined with a solid fuel stove the Alde is fine. I very rarely use it for space heating and it heats up the water efficiently.

15 minutes ago, rgreg said:

My Alde system has a valve to the radiators and one to the calorifier for hot water so they can be operated independently. If yours hasn't, then you can just turn off the individual radiators as Beo suggests.

As a secondary space heating/ hot water system combined with a solid fuel stove the Alde is fine. I very rarely use it for space heating and it heats up the water efficiently.

how long does it take to heat hot water with the radiators off?

My Alde also heats water and rads, but Its different to others I believe as I leave the boiler running and it heats nothing, if I flick a switch on the wall it runs hot water around my calorifier heating the hot water, if I want the rads hot I turn up the wall thermostat, I don't need to use any valves to split between the two and both can run together or independently.

Take about 15 minutes to heat water enough for a hot shower.

29 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Me too, very rarely have radiators on.

Heats hot water fine but does use a fair bit of gas.