Act quickly if you want to enjoy a holiday in the slow lane this summer

Ray T

Featured Posts

PRESS RELEASE

16 July 2020  

ACT QUICKLY IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY A HOLIDAY IN THE SLOW LANE THIS SUMMER

With the school holidays about to get underway, the Canal & River Trust, the charity that looks after 2,000 miles of waterways across England & Wales, is urging those looking to enjoy a holiday in the slow lane this summer to act quickly with bookings for canal boat holidays enjoying a huge resurgence as people look for the perfect family-friendly staycation.

Canal boat companies offering holidays are reporting very healthy bookings – with three of the largest, accounting for half the hire boats available to hire, saying that bookings are up 240% since government gave the go-ahead for holidays to resume from the end of June.

Richard Parry, chief executive of the Canal & River Trust, comments: “If you’re looking for a self-catering staycation this year, away from busy tourist areas, step aboard a canal boat. Canal boat holidays are a great opportunity to get back to what matters: spending time with family or friends, spotting wildlife and being as active as you like. Walking, cycling, fishing, canoeing and even paddle boarding are on offer.  Our canals and rivers are open for you to explore. The many hire boat companies dotted around the country are waiting to welcome you. They’ve worked hard to make sure you can relax and enjoy your holiday with them this year while still following the latest government guidance.”

Nigel Stevens, from Drifters, a consortium of hire boat companies, comments: “A canal boat holiday is the fastest way to slow down.  Families come together to operate locks and take turn to ‘captain’ the boat.  We’ve bases right across the country and boats that provide home-from-home luxury.  Anyone looking for a boat in the school holidays should get in quick, whilst those without school-age children can book now to secure their boat to benefit from canal cruising in the late summer sunshine in September and October.”

The data from Drifters, via the three largest hire boat operators on the UK canal network, which between them have around half the narrowboats available for hire, shows that since week commencing 21 June, when domestic holidays were given the go ahead to resume (23 June), bookings have almost doubled over the equivalent period in 2019 (1195 in 2019, 2356 in 2020).  And during the two weeks after holidays were given the go ahead to resume (28 June to 11 July), bookings increased by 240% (600 in 2019, 1449 in 2020).

Nine reasons to take a boating holiday this year

Research shows that people can feel happier and healthier by the water, which makes a canal boat the ideal staycation choice.

1. It’s the fastest way to slow down

With speed limits of 4mph and 2,000 miles of tranquil, calming canals to cruise along, your stress levels are reduced and a whole new, much steadier pace of life takes over.

2. Get a taste of freedom

The majority of Canal & River Trust waterways offer boating holiday-makers free moorings, so there's plenty of choice of where to stop for the night.

3. Use your muscles

Working locks, exploring local footpaths, cycling along the towpaths and standing at the tiller enjoying the fresh air are great ways to get your body moving and shake off your normal routine.

4. It’s a greener way

A boating holiday is estimated to be some 20 times better for the planet than spending two hours flying for a holiday overseas. As soon as you swap your car for a boat, you’ll be using a third of the fuel and emitting a sixth of the pollution.

5. Quality time together

Working as a team to crew your boat will bring you closer to the family or friends you're travelling with. Everyone can help, regardless of their age or ability, from acting as a look-out during mooring to making sure the skipper has a cup of tea.

6. A journey through history

Thousands of historic structures are spread throughout the canal and river system. The soaring majesty of Pontcysyllte Aqueduct has been recognised with World Heritage Site status, and the awe-inspiring three-mile long Standedge Tunnel cuts through the Pennines.

7. Surrounded by nature

Waterways provide homes for large numbers of birds, plants and animals, including many protected species, so there’s always something special to spot

8. Lap up the luxury

Modern canal boats are fully equipped with all the essential mod cons: central heating, hot water, TVs, DVD players, showers and flushing toilets. Many boats now offer wifi too.

9. Try something new

It’s easy to learn how to drive a boat and navigate the waterways. Your hire boat company will explain everything you need to know when you arrive, and they'll make sure you feel confident controlling the boat before you set off on your own.

Find out more about canals and rivers across the UK at: www.canalrivertrust.org.uk 

For more information on Drifters and hire boat holidays visit: www.drifters.co.uk

ENDS

For further media requests about Canal & River Trust please contact:

Jonathan Ludford, m 07747 897783 e jonathan.ludford@canalrivertrust.org.uk

13 minutes ago, Halsey said:

that sounds like a pretty good reason to properly stay at home and keep away from the system for the next 6 weeks then ..................... 

Its always been the same. Boats should remain securely tied up during all school holidays and bank holidays.

Our bit of the south Oxford has been busier over the last few days than for a very long time.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its always been the same. Boats should remain securely tied up during all school holidays and bank holidays. 

Or make sure when it hits that you're somewhere relatively unaffected. Have only had to queue for any length of time for locks once in the last 4 years and that was near Stone. 

5 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

i don't see what all the fuss is, we are tied to school weeks due to having a 14yr old daughter and can't say we've ever been really bothered by it.

Just plan to hit bottlenecks at off-peak times of the day if possible, or get in the queue and help others if wanted and have a nice chat.

You are right about that bit but you must be a long time boater like us? Facts are that increasingly and I mean before covid peeps stay on their boat until " Its their turn " and simpy dont help each other through like we always did. Helping several boats through in a queue is simply getting less the norm these days :(

• Greenie 1

Just now, mrsmelly said:

You are right about that bit but you must be a long time boater like us? Facts are that increasingly and I mean before covid peeps stay on their boat until " Its their turn " and simpy dont help each other through like we always did. Helping several boats through in a queue is simply getting less the norm these days :(

I found this two weeks ago, arrived at Hillmorton top lock and found three boats waiting all queuing for the nearside lock. I got off the boat and operated the offside lock, helped the boats through both locks and moved everyone along in a timely manner rather than sit around watching the world go by and moan about queues.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

I found this two weeks ago, arrived at Hillmorton top lock and found three boats waiting all queuing for the nearside lock. I got off the boat and operated the offside lock, helped the boats through both locks and moved everyone along in a timely manner rather than sit around watching the world go by and moan about queues.

Yes, its got gradualy worse over the last few years :( Our system has always been join the queue and even if its a long one I wait with boat to move it along and the missus walks however far to the lock to help all through, it always was the way but is certainly not the way of late.

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes, its got gradualy worse over the last few years :( Our system has always been join the queue and even if its a long one I wait with boat to move it along and the missus walks however far to the lock to help all through, it always was the way but is certainly not the way of late.

I always wonder up to lend a hand even if it is just to close the gates when the boat leaves the lock if there is nothing coming the other way. That alone can help someone get on and move the queue quicker.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I always wonder up to lend a hand even if it is just to close the gates when the boat leaves the lock if there is nothing coming the other way. That alone can help someone get on and move the queue quicker.

Sadly of late we have met more people thinking we are pushing them to go too fast and wanting us to have nothing to do with their safety (even when they are doing something wrong) and nothing to do with their precious boat (that was a couple literally using white gloves and handling the boat out of the lock to ensure it didn't get scratched!)

As has been said it isn't what is used to be - but then what is - COVID has just made it worse and told people to become more insular.

The best anecdote I know was a hire boat sitting in a long queue on the Llangollen properly tied up with the crew inside the boat drinking coffee waiting for the lock to be made ready for them - needless to say after they had seen a couple of boats leapfrog around them they  got the picture ..................

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

nope, not long time, only about five years i think.

I totally know what you mean about folk only appearing when it's their turn though. Not unknown to see what you assume is a single-hander in a queue, then when they get to the front another three crew pile off the back.

and before anyone jumps on us helping out, we always ask if help is wanted and how they want the lock working if they do want a hand. I've been the recipient of an unbidden helper who opened the gate paddle before the ground paddle and gave our welldeck a good soaking :(

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

It's part of the joy (?) of boating - over the years we've met all manner of folks from prison governors to doctors to engineers to salty water boaters to folks from furrin' parts - not to mention 'ordinary' canallers.

We'd be desparately bored if boating was like driving a car.

• Greenie 3

When we first started boating, our dad used to keep a pony and trap in t'boatman's cabin to take fellow boaters t'top of t'locks while me and me mam carried their boats up. You tell t'boaters of today that... they won't believe you! ;)

8 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

i don't see what all the fuss is, we are tied to school weeks due to having a 14yr old daughter and can't say we've ever been really bothered by it.

Just plan to hit bottlenecks at off-peak times of the day if possible, or get in the queue and help others if wanted and have a nice chat.

I learnt to hit known bottlenecks at off-peak times during school holidays when we had our first shareboat. The first time we went up Grindley Brook it was mid afternoon and the lockie wasnt there.

The boats coming down kept entering the staircase, so the uphill boaters didnt get a chance. Total chaos.

I was holding the bost on the centre rope as the queue was beyond the lock moorings, so I dispatched Mrs Hound to sort things out. She soon stopped the boaters from coming down, and reversed the staircase  giving us uphill boaters a chance. We were stuck there for over four hours in all.

Now I always overnight either at the top or bottom lock, depending on direction of travel, and make an early start. That way it avoids any potential queues,

• Greenie 1

From Fazeley been to Stratford (very quiet, I think we passed 4 boats between Knowle and Bancroft basin). 9 Anglo Welsh boats languishing at WW.

Down the Avon, most moorings unoccupied at least on the upper section. Now in Worcester, a little busier but less so than a normal summer I’d say. Apparently the Braunston pound is very busy but then there are several million boats moored in marinas on it, all popping out for the day.

9 hours ago, Rob-M said:

At Woodend Lock yesterday to go down, we were lending a hand to a boat coming up, with two more waiting below.  One of their crew came up to check that we were going down, and then went to stand by her boat along with the rest of the queue.

Do people not realise that if open the odd gate things progress quicker, rather than waiting for one person to do it all?

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

From Fazeley been to Stratford (very quiet, I think we passed 4 boats between Knowle and Bancroft basin). 9 Anglo Welsh boats languishing at WW.

Down the Avon, most moorings unoccupied at least on the upper section. Now in Worcester, a little busier but less so than a normal summer I’d say. Apparently the Braunston pound is very busy but then there are several million boats moored in marinas on it, all popping out for the day.

We got on the pontoons at Upton when we came past a couple of weeks ago which is the first time I've been able to moor on there.

8 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We got on the pontoons at Upton when we came past a couple of weeks ago which is the first time I've been able to moor on there.

We stopped for lunch there today around 1pm, against the wall below the Swan. There was also plenty of wall room beyond the big boat-restaurant thing, and one slot on the pontoon.

It’s been pretty busy in Droitwich since the end of restrictions and the usual hire boats are now appearing. One of the winter moorers is yet to leave though, I guess the initial thought has to be to hope they are OK and able to leave. I’ll be off on Saturday and it’ll take as long as it’s going to take. If I set off thinking there may be some delays at locks it’s more than likely I’ll be pleasantly surprised. I’m with @Hudds Lad on that subject, I’m going where I want to go at the time I am able. I’ll get there irrespective of what everyone else is doing.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

Its busier here than its ever been. I have never seen so many boats at this location going both ways all day yesterday which usualy never happens. There were a lot of purple boats heading south obviously to the K and A but lots of hobby boaters and hire boats, some from further afield than the norm. The campsite has never been so busy with hundreds of hopefulls being turned away at the weekends and even busy every day of the week with campers and lots of locals visiting. Its not the same for many pubs though so a check on waterside pubs before planning a route may be advisable.

we'll be heading out of Dunchurch on Saturday in the direction of Great Haywood Junction, the last time we were on a certain storm beginning with C stopped us leaving the marina so we don't care if we have to queue an hour at each lock we come to just as long as we are on the boat :D

hopefully they don't close Atherstone in the meantime...