BSC.

Gerry underwood

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, PhilR said:

I agree that the examiners are not making a fortune. But CaRT's cut seems a bit excessive.

That is not C&RTs cut, that is the BSS company 'cut' and has to provide all the office staff, paperwork, training courses (allegedly). website, severs etc.

BSS is not CART.

The BSS is a joint owned venture between C&RT and the EA

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is not C&RTs cut, that is the BSS company 'cut' and has to provide all the office staff, paperwork, training courses (allegedly). website, severs etc.

BSS is not CART.

Thanks for the explanation Alan. I didn't realise they had *privatised* it

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I believe that the fee that the BSS charge their examiners is £40

Out of the remaining £120 they have to take travel time & vehicle costs etc into account so they are not making a fortune.

The smart ones, arrange for tests to be done on a set day at each marina or mooring. My own examiner does this, My exame is due next month. On the day he be doing five boats. If he done the boat before, he brings a copy of the last exam check list. Having no gas fitted knocks £20 off the bill as well.     

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

BSS is not CART.

Have they moved or do they still share an office with CRT?

1 hour ago, nbfiresprite said:

The smart ones, arrange for tests to be done on a set day at each marina or mooring. My own examiner does this, My exam is due next month. On the day he be doing five boats. If he done the boat before, he brings a copy of the last exam check list. 

I believe that's what happened in my case .

I have no problem with it.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

The smart ones, arrange for tests to be done on a set day at each marina or mooring. My own examiner does this, My exame is due next month. On the day he be doing five boats. If he done the boat before, he brings a copy of the last exam check list. Having no gas fitted knocks £20 off the bill as well.     

Thats what I do, the examiner checks 2 or 3 local boats on the same day and reduces his fee because there is less travelling involved.

14 hours ago, sueb said:

Have they moved or do they still share an office with CRT?

They occupy the same building as CART in Milton Keynes, but I'm not sure if they actually share an office - as they are independent, probably not.

On 16/07/2020 at 15:25, Alan de Enfield said:

If I hadn't needed the 'piece of paper' to get the licence I wouldn't have bothered, I just view it as the licence costs £160 more than C&RTs published 'price-list'.

Erm - the licence costs £40 more than CRT's pubished price list!

3 hours ago, Athy said:

They occupy the same building as CART in Milton Keynes, but I'm not sure if they actually share an office - as they are independent, probably not.

Isn't the BSS funded, at least partly, by CRT?

Sorry, just seen I was beaten to it.

22 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Erm - the licence costs £40 more than CRT's pubished price list!

Erm - If my licence is shown on C&RTs 'price list as £800, and I have to have a 'pointless' meaningless BSSC that costs £160, then my licence me costs £960 to get it.

The Examiner has to pay £40 to the BSS 

From their website :

The day to day operation of the BSS is run by a small BSS Office Team.

All significant decisions including those about new BSS requirements, the need for BSS safety awareness initiatives or the cost of BSS Certifications are made by the BSS Management Committee, who call upon the guidance of the two BSS support committees to help them (BSS Advisory Committee and BSS Technical Committee).

All three committees have a mix of members from navigation authorities, the marine trade, boat owners, examiners and the BSS Office Team

Examiners are well represented on the support committees through practitioner organisations, but if you are not a member of an examiner body then you can have your policy views represented directly by writing to the BSS Manager.

The BSS Office Team helps the support committees with technical and secretarial facilities and work hard to ensure the outcomes from committee involvement meet BSS objectives balances the needs and meets the expectations of the three key customer-groups; namely, the Navigation Authorities, the BSS Examiners and the boat owners affected by the Scheme.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Erm - If my licence is shown on C&RTs 'price list as £800, and I have to have a 'pointless' meaningless BSSC that costs £160, then my licence me costs £960 to get it.

The Examiner has to pay £40 to the BSS 'company' not C&RT

But you only pay £160 one every 4 years so an extra £40 per year on your annual licence.

• Love 1

Just now, Rob-M said:

But you only pay £160 one every 4 years so an extra £40 per year on your annual licence.

You are absolutely correct, I had not factored that into the calculation.

As it happens I will not be renewing anyway - I have decided not to bother with either the BSS or a Boat Licence.

8 hours ago, Athy said:

They did when I was involved but that was a few years ago. Independent ? 

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

...........I have to have a 'pointless' meaningless BSSC that costs £160

You did well at that price  I paid £180 in May.... which is not an unfair price for the time involved.

The examiner presently pays £51.60 including VAT per certificate . The price went up in April.

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/professionals/you-and-the-bss/agreements-and-expectations/fees-and-charges/

I don't value a so called ''safety certificate'' that does not require the engine to be started nor consideration of any aspect of the boat that involves it moving through the water under power. In that respect I certainly agree  'pointless' and 'meaningless' are appropriate .

• Greenie 1