BSC.

Gerry underwood

Featured Posts

Good day. 

We have our BSC inspection today. As a rough guide how long should I expect to be standing in the rain for whilst the  inspector does his stuff.

No sarcastic replies such as "  it depends on this that and the other. Just a rough figure will suffice.

Just now, Gerry underwood said:

Good day. 

We have our BSC inspection today. As a rough guide how long should I expect to be standing in the rain for whilst the  inspector does his stuff.

No sarcastic replies such as "  it depends on this that and the other. Just a rough figure will suffice.

Get one who doesnt expect you to stand outside is my advice.

• Greenie 2

Correct, you don't even need to stay there. Go for a walk, come back and see if he's finished yet. We had ours done last week and we were 93 miles away from our boat!

I don't get the rain reference. We are not many miles from Stretham, and no rain is forecast today.

EDIT: just checked Stretham on the BBC Weather web site. No rain forecast there either.

Edited by Athy

A proper inspection should take 3+ hours, our last BSSC took 20 minutes from him arriving in the car park to driving out of the gate.

It depends on how diligent he is, have you 'booked him' based on his reputation of ensuring your boat is 'safe' or on 'getting a piece of paper because I need it to get a licence ?'

It is better to be on-site as when he says it is a fail because you don't have a label on your pump-out, or your ventilation is insufficient, or your RCD is not correct etc etc you need to be able to point out what is required and what is an advisory.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

My last one took about 2 or 3 hours, but he didn't make me stand outside. I was glad to be there for it as it was my first one and I was able to ask questions about things I didn't fully understand and likewise he was able to ask me things about the boat that I did know. 

1 minute ago, Rumsky said:

My last one took about 2 or 3 hours, but he didn't make me stand outside. I was glad to be there for it as it was my first one and I was able to ask questions about things I didn't fully understand and likewise he was able to ask me things about the boat that I did know. 

Perhaps I've been spoilt over the years/ ALL our inspectors have been friendly, keen to make comments and ask questions if they were unclear about any details.

IME it's the gas test that takes the longest time, especially if the installation (as is mine) was installed exactly as the original BSS rules (which were pants) required.

Surprisingly they are there to help - not criticise... 

• Greenie 1

Based on my BSS survey  experience last December, I totally agree with Alan's' response, I wasn't present at the inspection, the surveyor recorded 7 failures, 4 of which was because he wasn't familiar with boat and couldn't find things. 2 of the remaining issues we discussed and he withdrew the failures.

Lesson learned! 

• Greenie 2

We have booked the same guy that did our boat 4 years ago. Unfortunately due to Covid we have to vacate the boat whilst he does his stuff. 

32 minutes ago, Athy said:

Correct, you don't even need to stay there. Go for a walk, come back and see if he's finished yet. We had ours done last week and we were 93 miles away from our boat!

I don't get the rain reference. We are not many miles from Stretham, and no rain is forecast today.

EDIT: just checked Stretham on the BBC Weather web site. No rain forecast there either.

It was raining earlier. Now stopped.

33 minutes ago, Gerry underwood said:

Good day. 

Ours took 1.5 hours last Friday. The examiner had done 3 or 4 previous BSC examinations on our boat so was familiar with it. I always find it beneficial to be on site as there is often a knack of removing things and lighting gas appliances etc. Also, it is useful to discuss advisory issues face to face (at 2 metre distance!).

Take a good umbrella with you!

13 minutes ago, peterboat said:

If you both wear face masks and gloves whats the problem?

I would have thought the certificating body has given out guidelines as to how tests should take place, probably written up with "government advice" and probably include the line that no other person should be aboard the boat upon testing.

Of course it's up to the examiner how close he follows the guidelines but as we've discovered during this whole pandemic is that some people follow rules more strictly than others!

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The guy I had said "it passed last time, have you changed anything"

I replied "No" so he filled out the 'form' and the certificate issued.

Makes a mockery of the whole system.

So what did he charge for his *inspection*?

2 minutes ago, PhilR said:

£160,

I'd done my own BSSC examination the day before and even knowing where everything was to do it properly took over 3 hours. At least doing it myself I could ensure that it was 'safer' than relying on a surveyor.

If I hadn't needed the 'piece of paper' to get the licence I wouldn't have bothered, I just view it as the licence costs £160 more than C&RTs published 'price-list'.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

£160,

I'd done my own BSSC examination the day before and even knowing where everything was to do it properly took over 3 hours. At least doing it myself I could ensure that it was 'safer' than relying on a surveyor.

If I hadn't needed the 'piece of paper' to get the licence I wouldn't have bothered, I just view it as the licence costs £160 more than C&RTs published 'price-list'.

It would be interesting to know how much CaRT charge examiners for the paperwork etc. Only then can we judge the value of the service. There is something wrong when people are charged the same fee for 10 minutes work and for 3 hours work. 

1 hour ago, PhilR said:

It would be interesting to know how much C&RT charge examiners for the paperwork etc. Only then can we judge the value of the service. There is something wrong when people are charged the same fee for 10 minutes work and for 3 hours work. 

I believe that the fee that the BSS charge their examiners is £40

Out of the remaining £120 they have to take travel time & vehicle costs etc into account so they are not making a fortune.

1 hour ago, PhilR said:

£150. 

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

You must have a very memorable boat if a guy turns up 4 years and umpty hundred surveys later and is still familiar with it... :)

My boat is unforgettable. Bit like herpes.

33 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I believe that the fee that the BSS charge their examiners is £40

Out of the remaining £120 they have to take travel time & vehicle costs etc into account so they are not making a fortune.

I agree that the examiners are not making a fortune. But CaRT's cut seems a bit excessive.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

You must have a very memorable boat if a guy turns up 4 years and umpty hundred surveys later and is still familiar with it... :)

The chap who did our safety test recently has not tested our boat before but is very familiar with the model of boat so knows where to find all the bits he needs to inspect. 

Not sure how long he was there as we didn't go to meet him. But I don't expect it would have been long.