Newbie question - BMC engine

David Florence

Featured Posts

My neice has purchased a small (32ft) narrowboat. I'm a newbie too but I'm trying to help her get to grips with what she's bought... 

1. In the engine compartment is BMC engine, No idea of what size it is. I understand the cooling system could be one of two types, raw water or heat exchange. Attached is a photo of what I assume is a heat exchanger, could someone confirm this, or else tell me what it is? - Also what is the plunger thing that the arrow is pointing to?

2. Secondly, there is a tube between the propeller access box and the drive shaft with a tap at each end. - What on earth is this for? - Photo attached.

Sorry for naive questions, but this poor lass needs help to get her dream boat sorted!!

engine2e.jpg

glan3d.jpg

The plunger thing looks to be a dipstick for the gearbox. No idea why there is a tube going from the propshaft to the weedhatch. Others will know. Judging by the dirt on the filter I'd say the engine hasn't been serviced recently so needs to be on your list of things to do.

56 minutes ago, David Florence said:

Secondly, there is a tube between the propeller access box and the drive shaft with a tap at each end. - What on earth is this for? - Photo attached.

Most narrowboats have a 'greaser system' that the lubricates the shaft - the system you have is the less common "water lubricated" system. The 'tap' on the shaft looks 'open' but the 'tap' by the weed-hatch is in the off position.

You look to have an excessive amount of oil polluted water in the bottom of the boat that is so deep it looks to have breached the engine bilge and flooded into the main bilge. You need to get it out and disposed of  into an oil recycling tank. DO NOT let it get pumped overboard.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The whole blue thing is the gearbox and I think its a TMP hydraulic box. The box is cooled by internal waterways hence the big hoses.

I also think the gearbox may have a reduction box on the back and the brass thing may be the reduction box dip stick cum oil filler.

The stern gland looks like a Vetus "dripless" and non-adjustable glands and the hose is to allow water into the mechanism to cool the rubber Cutless shaft bearing.

I think the engine is almost certainly an BMC 1.5 but may be petrol or diesel.

There is not enough of the engine shown to tell you anything about the cooling system because the photo does not show all the engine and where the exhaust leaves it.

Give us a better photo of the engine I I may be able to tell you more. there is a good chance its not BMC but a Perkins who liked TMP gearboxes.

Edited by Tony Brooks

As Tony says, the tube is a vent from the stern gland to let air out so water can get in.  Both taps need to be 'on', the top one looks as though it is the off position.  The stern tube is water lubricated, without adequate water the rubber sleeve can wear excessively.

Yeah, get the oil out, half an hour with a tin can baling it into some sort of container (try B&Q for blue 'barrels') then take it to the oil disposal thingy at the tip. Then you can bring it back empty and with hot water and lots of washing up liquid give the whole lot a good clean and refill the barrel with the oily muck and leave the barrel by the used engine oil thingy. Then have a cup of tea, take some more pics of the engine and post them on here.

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...