Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

But I am a bit curious, so a question, mainly for the «pro-maskers»:

This virus will probably not go away for the forseeable future. There may or may not be a vaccine, but a part of the poulation don’t want to have vaccines. 

So are you willing to wear face coverings in public for the rest of your life? If not, what will it take to stop wearing them?

Is your question not based on a premiss which is by no means certain?

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is your question not based on a premiss which is by no means certain?

Of course. For instance, the virus may mutate to a less dangerous form. But there is a realistic possibility we may have to live with it. 

Edited by Sally Grim
Spelling

12 minutes ago, Sally Grim said:

So are you willing to wear face coverings in public for the rest of your life? If not, what will it take to stop wearing them?

It may be a new experience for us, but in much of the world it has been the norm for many years.

If they are needed, then the answer is yes.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Covid is a virus there is nowt we can do about it at present

absolute bollox!!

Now thats a funny one. No we use cards if they ask, its daft and the same people will moan when cash has gone and the banks put charges up to whatever they like but the funny thing is that here over the last couple of weeks we have taken more cash than normal. Yesterday at a caff we paid cash and nearly everywhere takes it. Even those that say they dont actualy do as I put petrol in yesterday at a garage that displays only contactless payments  taken and I paid with cash and nowt at all said. I suppose when the petrol is in the tank or whatever the goods are that you have started using if cash is offered as it is very legal payment saying you dont want it and will not take it simply doesnt work.

So YOU dont actually take all the mitigation measures - merely the ones that suit YOU - and you dont always use cards "if they ask" - what is it with you.... are you for real? :) 

I have a twenty pound note in my pocket that has been there since March 23rd - just in case.

On banks.... they actually charge more for cash transactions than other types so, in terms of taking an opportunity to increase charges, they have been doing it to us for decades with your lovely cash, (obviously not if you are not a business customer).

Edited by Richard10002

4 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

absolute bollox!!

In what way? We can take actions and precautions which may lessen our risk of contracting the bug, but I have not heard of any way of ending the existence of the bug itself.

7 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

absolute bollox!!

Hopefully you’ve patented the cure and are about to become very rich indeed then.....

26 minutes ago, Sally Grim said:

This virus will probably not go away for the forseeable future. There may or may not be a vaccine, but a part of the poulation don’t want to have vaccines. 

If there is an effective vaccine - I certainly will under no circumstances wear a face mask to protect anti vaxxers. That's their look out.

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

But that would be your mess and your problem and wouldn't shower anyone else with shit.

Reminds me of something I heard about Johnny Depps trial this morning :) or :( 

They removed their masks on numerous occasions to take a drink, or a bite from a sandwich etc. Each time thed did this they then pulled it back on over their mouths and nose with their hands that had touched all manner of things here so if the virus is here they will now have it.

The masks may have protected us ( very doubtful ) but the misuse which is what most people do means they are dangerous to the wearer. Sarah Jarvis explained very well why they are of little or no use on the radio some weeks a go.

Why do you think the masks didn't protect you?

Every time they spoke, or coughed, or whatever, while their faces were covered, their droplets were reduced significantly.

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

This is why the government is making the wearing of face masks in shops mandatory, but not doing so in pubs and restaurants.

I agree with Sarah Jarvis, there is little or no point in wearing a mask when on the radio, since I’m still fairly confident that the virus isn’t transmitted over radio waves including 5G

Smelly seems to pick some strange and illogical comparisons to justify his agenda.

9 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

If there is an effective vaccine - I certainly will under no circumstances wear a face mask to protect anti vaxxers. That's their look out.

I’m not antivax....I won’t be first in the queue though....give it a while to prove it’s reasonably safe...and I doubt it will be effective when the virus mutates as it will...oh and I won’t be wearing a mask if it can be helped. 

Edited by frangar

3 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Aww!

Hypocrite.

I thought he was talking about me as he regularly tells me that I am talking drivel - mostly when he is lost for any words that might form a cogent argument.

He seems to respond to me within 3 minutes where he can, despite my drivel - so truly a hypocrite.

16 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I have a twenty pound note in my pocket that has been there since March 23rd - just in case.

That was my birthday!   Why didn't I get it?  😀

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, frangar said:

Totally agree. Mask wearers seem to ignore any distancing or hand hygiene when entering shops even where sanitizer etc is provided. We are out boating and watching others when shopping is quite interesting. The amount of chins protected seems very high.....

My experience is different. There have been plenty of non mask wearers ignoring distancing and hand hygiene over the past 3 months, and I've seen a few virus spreading get togethers on canal banks over the period - no masks in sight. All very worrying.

Of mask wearers, most keep their distance, and follow the rules. Some don't, but isn't that ever the case. The former far outnumber the latter.

Unlike Smelly, I must admit that my experience is limited to one or 2 shopping or prescription collecting trips a week, in only a small part of the UK - so I cant speak for all.

3 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

No, my point keeps getting lost. My beef is that laws to protect the individual against their own decisions are enforced, covid regulations are not. I already wear a mask in shops. In my opinion the putting others at risk by refusing simple precautions should be stamped on the same as using a mobile whilst driving is. The drink driver doesn't get "engage, explain, encourage" he gets cuffs and a cell.

There are not the resources to enforce some laws. UK law is mostly a bit of an honesty box, and the hope is that most will conform. The fact that there are different treatments is something you should take up with your MP :) it has always been so.....

42 minutes ago, Sally Grim said:

The first thing is it isn't wearing them in public it is wearing them in confined spaces like for instance shops and public transport.   The rest of the time you don't have to so you don't need to walk the street in a mask or wear one when cycling.

Some parts of Asia I am given to understand were wearing them before covid was discovered.   I really don't see a problem with them.

How long will I wear them?   The simple answer as long as necessary.   I have to wear one for our holiday lodge cleaning to be able to fit into the "Safer stay" lists.  It is comfortable so no problem.  Why on earth would anybody object.

With regard to what would make me stop.  That is equally simple.  When I feel I am no longer a risk to anybody else, so I suppose one point would be if I had had the disease and science had proved I wouldn't catch it and start to spread it again.

I have no problem wearing a hat in public so why is there a problem with wearing a face covering?

3 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

My experience is different. There have been plenty of non mask wearers ignoring distancing and hand hygiene over the past 3 months, and I've seen a few virus spreading get togethers on canal banks over the period - no masks in sight. All very worrying.

Of mask wearers, most keep their distance, and follow the rules. Some don't, but isn't that ever the case. The former far outnumber the latter.

Unlike Smelly, I must admit that my experience is limited to one or 2 shopping or prescription collecting trips a week, in only a small part of the UK - so I cant speak for all.

We had a week on the boat last week which took us through a variety of cities, towns and villages. On the whole most people were taking great care and following the social distancing rules. In Boston most people were being sensible and a lot were wearing masks. Then we came back to Lincoln and we were horrified by the scenes on the high street. It was almost as though Covid did not exist.

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

It was almost as though Covid did not exist.

It's all a con didn't you know?    :D

1 hour ago, buccaneer66 said:

I tried the method in the video that @Richard10002 posted & while it was a little fiddly tying knots in elastic it works and reduced the amount of fog on my specs.

Very fiddly, but only needed once per mask. I haven't tried the tissue thing yet, but will do so next time I get in the car - which might be a few days, as I'm hiding behind my curtains and cant get far in this damned suit!! :) 

6 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Then we came back to Lincoln and we were horrified by the scenes on the high street. It was almost as though Covid did not exist.

Will it be the new Leicester, or Darwen?

57 minutes ago, Sally Grim said:

Yes!

32 minutes ago, Athy said:

In what way? We can take actions and precautions which may lessen our risk of contracting the bug, but I have not heard of any way of ending the existence of the bug itself.

Smelly said we can do nowt about it - but we can. He was talking about the comparison with WWII, which we could "do nowt about" until we could, which was 6 years after it started. However, during the 6 years, we did "plenty about it", both in terms of attempting to end it, and to mitigate the damage.

I agree that eradication is not yet in sight.

19 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I have no problem wearing a hat in public so why is there a problem with wearing a face covering?

Why indeed? In some cases it may prove an aesthetic improvement in addition to its possible health benefits.

One thing I won't be adopting is the ludicrous habit of of knocking my elbow against another chap's. Thinking of the chaps whom I'm likely to meet any time soon, perhaps we could shake beards.

Edited by Athy

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

Yes!

Well have fun but dont go out for a  walk because I will not be wearing one in public unless it becomes law which I very much doubt. If I ever have to go somewhere that states I have to wear one I will but I doubt this government is daft enough to make wearing one in the street obligitary. Lesser governments may have by now so who know in 4 years time we may have a different government that states we have to wear full NBCD suits, perhaps you think that would be a good idea even now?

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

Smelly said we can do nowt about it - but we can. He was talking about the comparison with WWII, which we could "do nowt about" until we could, which was 6 years after it started. However, during the 6 years, we did "plenty about it", both in terms of attempting to end it, and to mitigate the damage.

I agree that eradication is not yet in sight.

Nor will it likely ever be so get used to being The Lone Ranger.