Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

Hi All

so what's the feeling about wearing face covering in shops ? 

My Daughter works in a food shop  and I want her to be as safe as possible 

Graham

Its bonkers. Two of my daughters are nurses and have learnt to  mitigate the risks. A blanket rule will further destroy the economy and our youngsters will be decades paying it off.  If your daughter is young she is more likely to die from being struck by lightning if she is heallthy.

• Greenie 2

When wearing NBC kit the most chance of contamination was when  removing a gasmask I would think a face mask carries a risk as well, so for me its a no to face masks, also forgot to say the virus can enter through the eyes so the masks I have noticed are making people stand closer to each other so maybe its an increase in risk to wear a mask

Edited by peterboat
  • Love 1

As far as anything is know, wearing a mask is not for your own safety but for the safety of others - your daughter will not be any safer as a result of wearing a mask. I can understand shops insisting on customers wearing them

The government's insistence is flawed given we're allowed in pubs without a mask, indeed the beer would taste most odd if one were worn.

Shoppers worried about the risk can order online (yes you can, the fact you struggle to get your favourite roast avocado beverage is an inconvenience not a catastrophe) - shop workers have no choice but to go in, but they need their customers to wear masks

36 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

Hi All

so what's the feeling about wearing face covering in shops ? 

My Daughter works in a food shop  and I want her to be as safe as possible 

Graham

As a mask is for the protection of others in case you are asymptomatic or in the early stages and not yet showing symptoms I think it is good for your daughter's sake.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

As far as anything is know, wearing a mask is not for your own safety but for the safety of others

Presumably the reason that Frontline Nursing Staff wear (and have always worn) a mask is to protect their patient from catching anything from them ?

I already had a load of masks ready but I'm afraid this rule now actually stops me from going into shops so they'll lose my custom now.

Reason is I tried the mask as it should be worn and my specs where immediately steamed up preventing me from seeing.

As well as face masks everyone should use an errected umbrella outside and in shops and supermarkets to self distance by law, no one likes getting poked in the eye, so I'm sure they would work.    Its a joke at supermarkets, One Q's up 2 metres apart outside but when you get in there it's a big free for all, folk diving about right in front of you to get something, very few folk nor the staff wearing masks.r

FFS - It's no big deal -personal sensibilities-wise, to wear a face covering, so why not do as you're being  ASKED.

It migh help, it migh make no difference, but IT'S WORTH A TRY.

It doesn't mean that you're cow-towing to a government that you dislike / whatever.

In reality there's so little that's known about this virus - and such view seems to be changed daily - thus give it a whirl. What have you lost??

My Management has made us some masks and I will take pleasure in wearing some of her handywork - even though it's got flowers on it

(Get Yoou..)

• Greenie 3

The one way systems are a joke as well as even in small local coops the knob heads who don't care just go where they want.

2 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

I already had a load of masks ready but I'm afraid this rule now actually stops me from going into shops so they'll lose my custom now.

Reason is I tried the mask as it should be worn and my specs where immediately steamed up preventing me from seeing.

You need eyes in the back of your head. :unsure:

5 minutes ago, bizzard said:

As well as face masks everyone should use an errected umbrella outside and in shops and supermarkets to self distance by law, no one likes getting poked in the eye, so I'm sure they would work.    Its a joke at supermarkets, One Q's up 2 metres apart outside but when you get in there it's a big free for all, folk diving about right in front of you to get something, very few folk nor the staff wearing masks.r

Now that's brill B'zard - take the covering off and you've got a multi-pointed-stick

Edited by OldGoat

Just to insert a bit of science, when an infected person exhales, talks, coughs etc they expel droplets of “aerosol” that are contaminated by the virus. Some of the droplets can be pretty small but will mostly be caught by a face covering.

Within a second or so of the droplets being exhaled without a face covering, most of the moisture has evaporated and the droplet is now about 1/5th of the original size. But still containing the same amount of virus. The droplet, which is now nearly pure virus, is now too small to be trapped by a face covering or mask other than a fully fitted thing.

This is why a face covering is only effective in protecting others, not in protecting yourself. Not that that is a reason not to wear one, of course.

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Now that's brill B'zard - take the covering off and you've got a multi-pointed-stick

Good idea and it won't blow inside out in the wind. I did try to telephone that Hancock bloke with my idea but it wouldn't even ring.

Just now, bizzard said:

Which is precisely why we gave up going to the shops in March.

For food, first choice is home delivery, if we cant get a slot then click and collect.

Lots of small shops like our 2 local butchers are still delivering too.

For DIY type stuff our local DIY place has set up a counter just outside his shop entrance under the front canopy so you dont have to go in. He goes in the store to get what you need.

Dog food is delivered in bulk from Harrington's.

For everything else there is eBay/Amazon.

Shops? Who needs shops?

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Which is precisely why we gave up going to the shops in March.

For food, first choice is home delivery, if we cant get a slot then click and collect.

Lots of small shops like our 2 local butchers are still delivering too.

For DIY type stuff our local DIY place has set up a counter just outside his shop entrance under the front canopy so you dont have to go in. He goes in the store to get what you need.

Dog food is delivered in bulk from Harrington's.

For everything else there is eBay/Amazon.

Shops? Who needs shops?

Precisely my worry!!

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Home delivery is no good for fresh fish I've now had both Tesco and Morrisons deliver several packs of fish all with a use by date on the day delivered and even the day before.

1 minute ago, buccaneer66 said:

Home delivery is no good for fresh fish I've now had both Tesco and Morrisons deliver several packs of fish all with a use by date on the day delivered and even the day before.

That is a risk with home delivery, on any 'fresh' item agreed.

But Asda are good at giving refunds on items you are unhappy with.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

But we are still buying stuff, including from small local businesses.

Its fine using small local businesses but the high street was already in the mire and will probably now collapse. Also in this brave new world of green values thousands more vans at present delivering things using diesel engines hardly fits the picture as portrayed.

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

That is a risk with home delivery

Not all home delivery a local supplier in Northampton that usually supplied the catering industry has been delivering very good fresh produce boxes although I still have 2 3kg bags of flour to get through.

6 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

One of the joys of Waitrose is that if items are on their use by date when they are delivered  you get them for free, Also if they substitute a more expensive item for one you have ordered you pay the lower price.

Just now, buccaneer66 said:

Not all home delivery a local supplier in Northampton that usually supplied the catering industry has been delivering very good fresh produce boxes although I still have 2 3kg bags of flour to get through.

Yes. Apologies for not being totally 100% precise.

45 minutes ago, peterboat said:

When wearing NBC kit the most chance of contamination was when  removing a gasmask I would think a face mask carries a risk as well, so for me its a no to face masks, also forgot to say the virus can enter through the eyes so the masks I have noticed are making people stand closer to each other so maybe its an increase in risk to wear a mask

I wear my safety glasses a lot of the time, as the eyes are ideal entry points for viruses. If people stand closer, the mask will help limt transmission, there is no ~magic~ distance.

Edited by LadyG