Potential problems for first purchase

RickS

Featured Posts

If self  painting try to avoid the all over one colour method. Its easy looking but if you break it up into sections its easier with changeable weather and you can repaint a section at a time in a few years time. 

Framing around panels, like a tudor building is the easy way, more masking tape but a lot better afterwards. More interesting too.

Don't go mad with a perfect optical finish, you will scratch it and its easier to touch up if its less than a shiny palace.

TD'

Thanks Tracy, sounds like good advice. Not going to happen now on original boat, but never goes to waste

'Perfect optical finish' ?  'shiny palace' ? You overestimate my abilities hugely ? 

Good luck with your search Rick. We have just handed over the cash and bought our boat. Bit of a project but we are happy. Sounds like we will be taking on similar challenges so I look forward to your updates. Happy hunting. What are you looking for (so I can keep my eyes open)?

50 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Good luck with your search Rick. We have just handed over the cash and bought our boat. Bit of a project but we are happy. Sounds like we will be taking on similar challenges so I look forward to your updates. Happy hunting. What are you looking for (so I can keep my eyes open)?

You can post photos now then. You say you bought it, have you had it surveyed 

On 14/07/2020 at 19:26, Rick Savery said:

I know the boat has been un-used for a while so maybe not constant vigilance on drips via the stern gland.

I'd have thought the stern gland would only leak (drip) at all seriously if the boat was used. If the prop shaft stays still there should be a much better seal, provided the stern gland is (a) greased and (b) still has some adjustment left. My boat hadn't shifted for 6-7 months and there is no water at all in the ice-cream tub.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

You can post photos now then. You say you bought it, have you had it surveyed 

Yes full in water and out survey. Plenty wrong but the important stuff is fine; hull, engine, gearbox. Will post pix when I've found the thread with info on how to compress images.  

21 hours ago, Dharl said:

Interior pics look nice, only seen the one outside pic, so hard to say how much work is needed there.  One bit of advice if you are painting it your self is to do in defined sections at a time, so that you can see progress as you proceed ( it’s very satisfying!) 

Yes, but it's a lot of work which you'll be taking on if you buy it. If the outside is as tatty as you say then what you're doing is relieving the owner of a big job that he/she neglected and doesn't want to do. So don't forget to modify your offer accordingly. It would take at least £2K off the asking price for the hours of prep and grafting you'll end up putting into the boat to repaint it - plus deducting the appropriate amounts for any issues that the surveyor reveals. 

If the vendor doesn't accept then don't be afraid to walk away. I don't go along with this "boats are selling like hot cakes" nonsense. There are thousands of decent boats on the market and if you're a cash buyer you're in charge. Take your time and don't let anyone rush you into something you might regret.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes, but it's a lot of work which you'll be taking on if you buy it. If the outside is as tatty as you say then what you're doing is relieving the owner of a big job that he/she neglected and doesn't want to do. So don't forget to modify your offer accordingly. It would take at least £2K off the asking price for the hours of prep and grafting you'll end up putting into the boat to repaint it - plus deducting the appropriate amounts for any issues that the surveyor reveals. 

Not knowing what price it was on the market at, how do you know that the seller has not already priced it taking account of the work needed doing ?

• Greenie 1

Rick, as you are looking on the K&A try the Frouds Bridge website, unless you already have, they have three for sale at the moment and I know from experience that they will be priced sensibly. I sold my 2006 60ft Semi-Trad Narrowboat from there in Sept. 2019.

52 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not knowing what price it was on the market at, how do you know that the seller has not already priced it taking account of the work needed doing ?

When I sold my parents house after they died, I knew it needed rewiring, and lots of other work so it was sold on that basis, I know what needs doing so dont come back asking to drop the price to cover the work its taken into account. Take it or leave it.