Back cabin - does it have to be red & green?

Featured Posts

Well here's a question to get the purists' blood pressures up: our daughter came to visit and admire our almost finished back cabin. Looking at it in its white primered state she asked: "are you going to paint it like the last one, all red and green and scumbling (actually I'm afraid she said 'scratching') - can't you do something different?. It looks lovely like this in white."

Well of course we can do whatever we want; it's not a historic boat - it didn't even have a back cabin until we fitted one. But is there any precedent for working boat cabins that aren't red, green and scumbled? The only one I can recall is the simple cream planked and brown cabin in Caggy.

I recently grained FMC Lamprey for Sarah at Glascote. I’m back later this week to do the mouldings, in chrome yellow. The table cupboard, knife drawer etc are green, yes, but only because she has retained Ian Kemp’s painting on them. You may recall that I used dark blue not green on Resolute. Cheers!

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Yes. Yes it does. Otherwise you'll have men with beards and pipes tutting.

Jen ?

maybe OP would like to attract men with beards.

tutting pipes is another matter altogether though - sounds a bit like water hammer -  is there a cure for that?

17 hours ago, starman said:

Well here's a question to get the purists' blood pressures up: our daughter came to visit and admire our almost finished back cabin. Looking at it in its white primered state she asked: "are you going to paint it like the last one, all red and green and scumbling (actually I'm afraid she said 'scratching') - can't you do something different?. It looks lovely like this in white."

Well of course we can do whatever we want; it's not a historic boat - it didn't even have a back cabin until we fitted one. But is there any precedent for working boat cabins that aren't red, green and scumbled? The only one I can recall is the simple cream planked and brown cabin in Caggy.

Many of the pictures I've seen show the cabin to be grey-scale, thus would be a bit dull though, shades of grey on the other hand... ;) :o 

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

It's your boat. Paint it whatever colour you like.

It'll probably end up whatever colour the painting department (Starwoman) likes ?
But it would be interesting to know if many back cabins have been done non-traditionally just for a few ideas.

Edited by starman
adding a bit

Mines in an off white with some of the cupboard and drawer panels done in black with a red trim.

This closely depicts a boat seen in 1934 on the Depleted Uranium traffic run linking Hess Bank to Preston basin....removing debris secretly from Windscale far earlier than previously thought.

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

Mines in an off white with some of the cupboard and drawer panels done in black with a red trim.

This closely depicts a boat seen in 1934 on the Depleted Uranium traffic run linking Hess Bank to Preston basin....removing debris secretly from Windscale far earlier than previously thought.

So the paint is luminous then, how do you manage to sleep in there? ??

A few years back I saw a Barry Hawkins done in grey white and red and it looked very good - even as a lover of trad schemes it is true to say a trad back cabin can be very dull/gloomy on a dark July day like yesterday - I wouldn't do it but as others have said it is your boat!

17 hours ago, matty40s said:

Wasnt that the one that sunk into the black hole at Winsford great flash, whilst carrying heavy water?

46 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Wasnt that the one that sunk into the black hole at Winsford great flash, whilst carrying heavy water?

Nah, it floated away over the flash towards Crewe because of the tritium.

TD'

On 13/07/2020 at 21:58, starman said:

No possibly not but it is a classic which merited saving - hope the project is going well - is it still on dry land??

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

No possibly not but it is a classic which merited saving - hope the project is going well - is it still on dry land??

Yes it’s going okay thanks - slower than expected (why did I ever think it wouldn’t be slow) but sitting on a farmyard 10 mins from home so easy to reach. No excuses for not getting on with it!

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, starman said:

Yes it’s going okay thanks - slower than expected (why did I ever think it wouldn’t be slow) but sitting on a farmyard 10 mins from home so easy to reach. No excuses for not getting on with it!

ah but sometimes being too close encourages complacency. - so long as lockdown doesn't lock you away from it .............I assume the target is cruising by the start of next season - enjoy its a great boat and will be well worth it (not financially obviously but then they never are).

J