Engine

Layla

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Ianws said:

Does the OP need additional info about mineral, multigrade, synthetic, semi-synthetic oils, specifications etc. 

Once we know what is being used this may become relevant. Added complication that isn't needed just yet I reckon.

I’m not an expert so please forgive me if I’m wrong but I thought general advice was for mineral multigrade that was not synthetic with certain specifications. Not hard to find but not likely in Halfords. I just   didn’t want the OP to go and fill with something inappropriate but know there are people able to advise exactly what to get for that engine.

2 minutes ago, Ianws said:

I’m not an expert so please forgive me if I’m wrong but I thought general advice was for mineral multigrade that was not synthetic with certain specifications. Not hard to find but not likely in Halfords. I just   didn’t want the OP to go and fill with something inappropriate but know there are people able to advise exactly what to get for that engine.

You'd be surprised - Halfords do a 'classic oil' for vehicle engines from the 60's & 70's.

179713?w=740&h=555&qlt=75&fmt=webp&v=1

15 minutes ago, Ianws said:

I've purchased my last 3 lots of multigrade oil from Halfords, they always seem to have plenty in stock.

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You'd be surprised - Halfords do a 'classic oil' for vehicle engines from the 60's & 70's.

exactly.  when I was running a canal boat Halfords was the only convenient place to get a suitable oil.  B&Q used to do one but that was many years ago.

Edited by Murflynn

Asda sell multigrde oils and certainly 20/50, though for Beta type engines 15/40 is preferred and when available often cheaper.

Folks rush to B&Q and the like - but most small town have several motor factors from which you get a better price.

• Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Asda sell multigrde oils and certainly 20/50, though for Beta type engines 15/40 is preferred and when available often cheaper.

Folks rush to B&Q and the like - but most small town have several motor factors from which you get a better price.

You do need to be careful that it is a non-detergent mineral (vintage oil) preferably CC grade.

56 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You do need to be careful that it is a non-detergent mineral (vintage oil) preferably CC grade.

I think that you will find that CC will have a degree of detergancy. I agree that for old high oil capacity engines with no oil filter a non-detergent oil is usually recommended but if the engine has a oil filter you rely upon a degree of detergency to keep the contaminates in suspension so the filter can remove them.

Edited by Tony Brooks

10 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

I buy my 15W/40 minérale from French supermarkets. 11€ for 5 L is typical. It fits in the back of the car next to the wine.

that's a long way from Gloucester to travel just to stock up with wine and engine oil     :(

On 15/07/2020 at 23:26, Layla said:

We both work on property. Surveys are often a massive rip off and waste of time unless you trust the surveyor to be both expert and diligent. We don’t know a boat surveyor like that so hesitated to throw money at that job. But we know what you mean....

... plus the marina owner says according to the old survey there’s probably 3-5k of Hull works that’s need doing. 

if we get these engine problems sorted for say 500. And the Hull works cost 4000. Then we’re in for 22.5k for a fifty foot colecraft 1978, with revitalised structure and engine. We have working interiors,,, shower, pump, 2 batteries, inverter, gas boiler, and pipes and electrical for those... 

on a scale of 1-10 how good a position would be in? ;) 

First of all forget about any property/boat analogies. Unlike some property surveys, boat surveys are generally not a waste of time, but it's best to get a hull surveyed before you buy the boat. From what you say it sounds like you might need to get it surveyed anyway so it really should have been done before you parted with your money. 

Secondly, try to divest yourselves of the ubiquitous property investment mindset when thinking about boats.  Most boats don't appreciate in value and you'll chuck thousands at your boat (not only yours, we all do it) and probably never recover those costs when you eventually come to sell it. Do it because you love it and you want the experiences, otherwise you'll end up hating it.

Edited by blackrose

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

First of all forget about any property/boat analogies. Unlike some property surveys, boat surveys are generally not a waste of time, but it's best to get a hull surveyed before you buy the boat. From what you say it sounds like you might need to get it surveyed anyway so it really should have been done before you parted with your money. 

Secondly, try to divest yourselves of the ubiquitous property investment mindset when thinking about boats.  Most boats don't appreciate in value and you'll chuck thousands at your boat (not only yours, we all do it) and probably never recover those costs when you eventually come to sell it. Do it because you love it and you want the experiences, otherwise you'll end up hating it.

Completely agree. Unless you are very experienced AND not averse to risk, the money on a survey is well spent. Usually the surveyor will find enough wrong to renegotiatevthevprice down by at least as much as his fee.

When my boat was being docked last year, the boatyard had to delay my blacking.

Turned out someone had bought an older boat without survey,  and was having it repainted. It began to sink in the paint dock  so my boat had to be taken out of the dry dock and his boat put in.

They found both sides and the bottom to be porous, so his "bargain" needed £15k's worth of overplating and rebottoming.With the cost of his repaint plus the purchase price, he would never get the money spent back, because it was still and old boat.