Montgomery Canal

mark99

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

How far can you go on this canal. Are there any general stores/farm shops nearby en route?

Ta

Stock up in Ellesmere,  there is Canal Central(?) A sort of tea room/general store  near the winding hole  but it's not particularly well stocked, it used to do good cake.

2 pubs the queens head, decent moorings but noisy by the A5 and the navigation inn further down towards the end of navigation, decent food in both.

2 service blocks one at bottom of Frankton locks, actually a nice place to moor for a day or so, 2nd nr the Navigation pub

Gronwyn warfe is just past the tea rooms which used to be the last winding hole, not sure if there is a new section opened.

It's very, very, very quiet, often narrow, don't expect stunning views but it's such a contrast after the llan/m25 and it's stuffed with wildlife,  I loved the Monty.

Oh and expect to be straffed by the trainee helicopter pilots now and again :)

Oh and there is a sneaky offside mooring in a dead arm with an old lift bridge, if you want isolation 

Edited by tree monkey
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Oh and there is a sneaky offside mooring in a dead arm with an old lift bridge, if you want isolation 

Is it possible to lift the bridge and get in? It looked pretty permanently closed when we stopped there. We just moored up outside the bridge. There's also a deep mooring for one boat on the offside on one side of the Perry aqueduct, and a corresponding mooring on the towpath side on the other side of the aqueduct.

We were there a few weeks ago and the lack of moving boats was evident. Bridgeholes which were slow but passable in the autumn needed peeps on  the bank with ropes to drag our 2'10" arse through this time. We gave up at the winding hole just before the Queen's head and had to move so much mud to get around that the mud piles broke the surface of the water.

MP.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Is it possible to lift the bridge and get in? It looked pretty permanently closed when we stopped there. We just moored up outside the bridge. There's also a deep mooring for one boat on the offside on one side of the Perry aqueduct, and a corresponding mooring on the towpath side on the other side of the aqueduct.

We were there a few weeks ago and the lack of moving boats was evident. Bridgeholes which were slow but passable in the autumn needed peeps on  the bank with ropes to drag our 2'10" arse through this time. We gave up at the winding hole just before the Queen's head and had to move so much mud to get around that the mud piles broke the surface of the water.

MP.

No but if your boat is short enough it fits lovely, actually one of the problems on the monty is lack of obvious moorings even for my modern clonecraft, never moored at the Perry but it was a regular spot for local boaters.

It's a shame you never made it down to the end, it always needed dredging though

2 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Rednall Bone Works Arm.

image.png.1e18dfbf978d944d7306be9314c62135.png

Cornmill Arm

image.png.818745149b70e45fd649290f03a8a7fe.png

Looking on GE its in water as far as Pryces Bridge but Gronwen Wharf is the last turning point.

:) I've just done the same, yes I think it's the rednal arm, didn't know about the bone works though

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Oh and expect to be straffed by the trainee helicopter pilots now and again :)

That is so true. 
I found a lovely spot above Frankton Locks, so still on the Llangollen. 
About 10 min walk from the locks. 
I think perhaps half  dozen people walked past in week and no boats passed. 
February. 
But fu**ing hell the amount of helicopters. 
And at night too. 
I was later told it’s a training area for the helicopter cops. 

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

No but if your boat is short enough it fits lovely, actually one of the problems on the monty is lack of obvious moorings even for my modern clonecraft, never moored at the Perry but it was a regular spot for local boaters.

It's a shame you never made it down to the end, it always needed dredging though

Actually 60ft fits fine without inconveniencing passing boats. We made it to the end last Autumn, and probably could again if we worked hard enough, it didn't seem worth the ball-ache until a few boats have been through and cleared out the bridge-oles a bit.

MP.

ETA. What's strange is that at the moorings by the aqueduct, we were right in the side, and floating.

Edited by MoominPapa

4 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Gronwyn warfe is just past the tea rooms which used to be the last winding hole, not sure if there is a new section opened.

Still the same as of last September, the section after the bridge is not yet in water although a further section is, so I suspect not too long before it is opened to the next (new) winding hole and heavy duty moorings.

15 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

image.png.1e18dfbf978d944d7306be9314c62135.pngRednall Bone Works Arm.

L1064_20040712_0053a.jpg.0bd71c79f45df9a6688f560dbc80f244.jpg

A workboat moored beyond the Rednal Basin bridge in 2004. 

spacer.pngCanalplan says it became overgrown since then, with the bridge not moveable in 2015, since when both the arm and the basin at the end have been cleared.spacer.png

• Greenie 1

We  moored our 55 footer there easily a couple of years ago. It was all very much 

overgrown on the path to the old basin, a secluded short amble away.  The little bridge  very much stuck fast. 

Keep it our dirty little secret.

It is fair to say that there are not a lot of good  mooring opportunities on the  Monty. Half a mile or so after Queens Head is doable and àlmost out of earshot of the A5, between the first two locks. 

Decent Armco piling about a mile before Maesbury Marsh and very quiet - as there is just before and also about a half mile after Maesbury Bridge. Its all pretty much down the far end.