What's this alarming noise? Dangerous?

Fennel

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Hope this is in the right place. As of today, when I turn on the hot tap (heated via Paloma) the gas regulator makes this loud 'buzzing' noise (recorded in video below) which is audible at quite a distance from the boat. This doesn't occur when using the gas hobs or oven. I changed the gas bottle a few days ago, if that's relevant.

Anyone heard this before? It's worrying me - I don't know if it's dangerous or not. 

Thanks

MVI_0020.AVI

Edited by Fennel
typo

A farting propane regulator is common. The water heater is the highest gas consumer on your boat, the regulator is almost fully open then. No danger.

Do check though that the gas flex hose to the regulator is not kinked.

TD'

It am De Good Lord warning you of impending doom...

Be very afraid.

(Tis a joke -I've been admonished by ano)

Edited by OldGoat
I've been admonished
  • Horror 1

6 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

It am De Good Lord warning you of impending doom...

Be very afraid.

I and most on here know you are being funny but please don't panic a new worried boater, he may not share your unusual sense of humour.

TD'

16 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

A farting propane regulator is common. The water heater is the highest gas consumer on your boat, the regulator is almost fully open then. No danger.

Do check though that the gas flex hose to the regulator is not kinked.

TD'

Thanks, that's good to know! Aberrations in explosive fuel systems always make me nervous.

I've employed my usual IT technique of turning it off and on again i.e. disconnect and reconnect the bottle, and the noise has gone. Which is somewhat reassuring. Would like to know why it suddenly occurred after four years but that will probably remain a mystery.

In every bottle there is some liquid,  Ethyl Mercaptan to produce the distinctive smell.

It sometimes comes over with the gas in very small quantities, especially if you change the bottle and it has been lying on its side.

This can dampen the diaphragm in the regulator temporarily casing the noise.