eCanal maps log function

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

Has anybody who used the eCanal maps ever managed to get the automatic log bit

working? On mine, it consistently tells me I've done either 11 or 13 bridges and no locks, whatever the truth of the matter is. Not important, just wondered...

Edited by Arthur Marshall

On 13/07/2020 at 20:47, Arthur Marshall said:

Yup! I did wonder if the iphone version works but the android doesn't.

iPhone version is no longer available in the App Store since being bought out by RCR. I was a bit miffed about this as I had bought most of them but removed them from my phone to save memory space. When I went looking for them to reinstall I could not find them at all in the Apple store. Eventually I found them in my purchase history and they did reload from there.

As far as I can tell, if you have already purchased the maps from Apple store you own them and they are obligated to keep them available, but they don’t seem to be available for new customers.

On 18/07/2020 at 11:45, Bewildered said:

iPhone version is no longer available in the App Store since being bought out by RCR. I was a bit miffed about this as I had bought most of them but removed them from my phone to save memory space. When I went looking for them to reinstall I could not find them at all in the Apple store. Eventually I found them in my purchase history and they did reload from there.

As far as I can tell, if you have already purchased the maps from Apple store you own them and they are obligated to keep them available, but they don’t seem to be available for new customers.

That seems right. For android, I bought them donkey's years ago when they first came out and saved the .apk file in several places and just transfer them to each new bit of tech.  They then load the basic app and download the maps when first run.  I presume that way you get an updated map, not that I think they've ever been updated since Mike Kelly flogged them to RCR.  Someone did say he was still contracted to work on them, but there's no real sign of it.  And while they have their uses, I prefer Nicholsons as I go along in the rain, and Maps.ME for finding walking routes or shops as it's updated more often. I think they're obsolete, really, a good idea that never really worked properly, especially as almost everyone except me is now online all the time and can access Opencanal map etc.

ETA I went from Westport Lake in Stoke, through the Harecastle, through the stoplock onto the Macc and the automatic log function told me I had just done 32 locks and 32 bridges since the day before.  It's no wonder I'm knackered today.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

On 18/07/2020 at 11:45, Bewildered said:

I wonder whether this is tied up in the the change to Apple iOS. The latest versions will only run 64bit apps and most older apps were written as 32bit ones.

I recently moved to a new iPad and no longer get the maps, although I get the symbols. They are fine on the old one, which runs a an iOS 12 version, and I seem to recall seeing Apple annmouncing they would remove any non-64bit apps from the store, which would explain theor disappearance.

On 20/07/2020 at 09:41, Rassiloth said:

I wonder whether this is tied up in the the change to Apple iOS. The latest versions will only run 64bit apps and most older apps were written as 32bit ones.

I recently moved to a new iPad and no longer get the maps, although I get the symbols. They are fine on the old one, which runs a an iOS 12 version, and I seem to recall seeing Apple annmouncing they would remove any non-64bit apps from the store, which would explain theor disappearance.

They did disappear from the store, I found them in my purchase history and reloaded them from there. I think it has something to do with the fact that they are bought and paid for and therefore held under my Apple account.

Try going into your Apple account purchase history and see if you can reload them on your iPad 

18 hours ago, Bewildered said:

They did disappear from the store, I found them in my purchase history and reloaded them from there. I think it has something to do with the fact that they are bought and paid for and therefore held under my Apple account.

Try going into your Apple account purchase history and see if you can reload them on your iPad 

I've had a dig into the app data.

If you look in your opurchase history and go to the app info page, rather than just download them, you will see a statement that they are not compatible with an iOS version of 13.0 or later, this tells me the apps are 32 bit only which means Apple has dropped them from the store until RCR submit a 64 bit version for approval.

You can indeed still download them if you have already bought them but you cannot buy them if you do not have them.

3 minutes ago, Rassiloth said:

I've had a dig into the app data.

If you look in your opurchase history and go to the app info page, rather than just download them, you will see a statement that they are not compatible with an iOS version of 13.0 or later, this tells me the apps are 32 bit only which means Apple has dropped them from the store until RCR submit a 64 bit version for approval.

You can indeed still download them if you have already bought them but you cannot buy them if you do not have them.

Sounds like a good reason not to upgrade to iOS 13 then.

My phone works perfectly well on iOS 12.4, I can’t see the point of fixing what ain’t broke