Why would someone screw the bows doors shut?

AJby3

Featured Posts

Hey everyone is there any logical reason why someone would nail the bow doors shut? I only ask as a boat come up for sale that was in my budget (rare thing) but oddly the bow doors appear to be nailed shut. Is this suspicious?

It might sound paranoid but I just wasn't feeling the tone of the advert. I keep seeing adverts with all variations of 'no time wasters', which I understand, but how do I know your boat is worth it without seeing it? I'm not looking to waste my own time with a 6 hour round trip. I've digressed from the main point here, but it just got my back up.

If anyone wants to see the boat with the screwed shut doors it can be seen here: https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/springer-35-cruiser-stern/640979

I don't know what the 90 under power refers to but you will be lucky to get 35 bhp from a BMC 1.5, not that it matters plenty of power for that boat.

I also don't like the tone of the advert, sounds to me as if the owner spent a lot of money on the internals and then found the hull was iffy.

At the very least I would want to see the hull out of the water and better still get a hull survey.

Slightly odd given that the well deck appears to be used for storage, so you may occasionally want to get things from there.

Of course a cratch cover will readily conceal someone trying to break in via the bow doors, so it might be something to do with that.

1 hour ago, AJby3 said:

Hey everyone is there any logical reason why someone would nail the bow doors shut? I only ask as a boat come up for sale that was in my budget (rare thing) but oddly the bow doors appear to be nailed shut. Is this suspicious?

It might sound paranoid but I just wasn't feeling the tone of the advert. I keep seeing adverts with all variations of 'no time wasters', which I understand, but how do I know your boat is worth it without seeing it? I'm not looking to waste my own time with a 6 hour round trip. I've digressed from the main point here, but it just got my back up.

If anyone wants to see the boat with the screwed shut doors it can be seen here: https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/springer-35-cruiser-stern/640979

Its at the Mid Warwick Yacht Club, they had about 10 break ins down there last month so maybe beefed up security in a rush. If the

boat is open for viewing at the Yacht Club then I would think its genuine, if its out one the cut somewhere maybe take care

Edited by ditchcrawler

The right hand door shown in that photo looks as if it may have had some damage (look at the top gap) and the top hinge that side looks, as far as one can tell from the photo, to be damaged (unlike the lower hinge in appearance) so I suspect that there may have been some deterioration or, more probably, a break in attempt. Surely though it would need repairing anyway to pass the next safety inspection because I always thought that you had to have two means of exit, one at either end of the boat?

Roger

44 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I wouldn’t feel safe on a boat with only one exit. 

In the words of the late James Brown: Say It Loud!

At least it looks as if the battlements could be removed by a new owner.

1 hour ago, Albion said:

The right hand door shown in that photo looks as if it may have had some damage (look at the top gap) and the top hinge that side looks, as far as one can tell from the photo, to be damaged (unlike the lower hinge in appearance) so I suspect that there may have been some deterioration or, more probably, a break in attempt. Surely though it would need repairing anyway to pass the next safety inspection because I always thought that you had to have two means of exit, one at either end of the boat?

Roger

That is my understanding too.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I don't know what the 90 under power refers to but you will be lucky to get 35 bhp from a BMC 1.5, not that it matters plenty of power for that boat.

That's probably a Thornycroft reference. 

Thornycroft 90 = BMC 1.5D. 

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I know but did not want to add more confusion. Actually it says something about the sellers mechanical abilities.

Also says something about Thornycroft. Why would they call it a 90?

I guess it must be a cubic inches thing. Maybe there was an American involved. 

31 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Also says something about Thornycroft. Why would they call it a 90?

I guess it must be a cubic inches thing. Maybe there was an American involved. 

I have a 1.8 BMC. 
I’ll have to check but I’m sure it says 108 Thornycroft in the manual.  

Maybe Tony Brooks can explain the Thornycroft no.s?

Just now, Goliath said:

I have a 1.8 BMC. 
I’ll have to check but I’m sure it says 108 Thornycroft in the manual.  

Maybe Tony Brooks can explain the Thornycroft no.s?

No he can't but google says 1500 CC is 91.5 cu in so magnet man is probably correct. (The 1.5 has a capacity of 1498 CC.

Screenshot_2020-07-13-20-28-20-794_com.android.chrome.png.e9910af57ca22ac30193c13de3b53256.pngYes it does seem to work. The 1.5 is 1490cc and the 1.8 is 1762cc.

The cubic inch figure is rounded down to the nearest unit which I imagine is probably normal for engines measured in cubic inches rather than cubic centimetres/millilitres. 

Screenshot_2020-07-13-20-23-04-647_com.android.chrome.png.d3a8644ebeac77a435a285ad2f1fa95e.png

Edited by magnetman

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

112 cubic inches is 1.8l, so I assume the BMC 1.8 is about 4 cubic inches smaller at 108.

1.8 litres is actually  109.8 cubic inch but yes the BMC 1.8 is less than 1.8 litres. 

Funny how they make litres look bigger but cubic inches rounded down.