Starter Checklist

Misosoup

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

After wanting to do so for a good while, I am hoping to buy my first boat by the end of this year.

I want to be as prepared as possible, and am wondering if anyone can recommend things to make sure you have done/knowledge you need to have before starting.

I plan on completing an RYA Inland waterways course (2 days) which covers "Safety, helmsmanship, locks and tunnels, collision avoidance, an introduction to engine maintenance" in the next couple of months. 

Are there any books, courses or resources that people think would be helpful? Particularly in relation to understanding electrics and so on. I'm a novice (I have spent quite a bit of time on boats but don't have a lot of technical knowledge).

Thank you in advance, any input is appreciated :)

I think RCR do an engine / simple electrics training course.

Some folks pan RCR - often because the contrractor they send out may not be up to scratch.

Query - doesn't the well known broker do a training course (and sell you a boat at the same time)??

26 minutes ago, Misosoup said:

Hi everyone,

After wanting to do so for a good while, I am hoping to buy my first boat by the end of this year.

I want to be as prepared as possible, and am wondering if anyone can recommend things to make sure you have done/knowledge you need to have before starting.

I plan on completing an RYA Inland waterways course (2 days) which covers "Safety, helmsmanship, locks and tunnels, collision avoidance, an introduction to engine maintenance" in the next couple of months. 

Are there any books, courses or resources that people think would be helpful? Particularly in relation to understanding electrics and so on. I'm a novice (I have spent quite a bit of time on boats but don't have a lot of technical knowledge).

Thank you in advance, any input is appreciated :)

For a start have a look at the course notes on my website, they were written for ordinary boaters.

tb-training.co.uk

Bits of or old edition of the 12V bible on the net.

Learn to use the search facility on this site and if you can't find answers to your questions just ask them.

PS those notes are what the original RCR courses used when I ran them

Edited by Tony Brooks

RCR do a course on you boat, as well as a classroom course.

I did this soon after getting my boat, even though I used to maintain my own cars before having company cars and had been a co-owner on shareboats for over 20 years. It helped give me confidence to maintain and fault find on my boat.

They get you to do an engine and gearbox oil change, change the fuel filter and clean the WASP filter (if fitted).  They allow 4 hours, so if you complete your service in less than the allocated time, are happy to show you how to maintain other bits on your boat.

Well worth the money in my opinion.

Edited by cuthound
Phat phingers

37 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The RCR electrics and engines courses that @OldGoat mentioned. I've not been on one, so can't comment on how good they are.

https://shop.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/Courses/CourseLanding.aspx

@Tony Brooks just beat me to it with his old course notes. ?

Jen

Thank you! 

40 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

For a start have a look at the course notes on my website, they were written for ordinary boaters.

tb-training.co.uk

Bits of or old edition of the 12V bible on the net.

Learn to use the search facility on this site and if you can't find answers to your questions just ask them.

PS those notes are what the original RCR courses used when I ran them

Thank you Tony. The link is super useful! 

13 minutes ago, Misosoup said:

Thank you! 

Thank you Tony. The link is super useful! 

Remember if you have any questions that you would rather not ask on a public forum I am always happy to receive emails subject to being allowed to use your question and answer to help others

I was on the last engine maintenance course they did in Jan or Feb. The handout book notes were still yours Tony. Both course and book very good. Gave me the confidence and knowledge to do my first basic service. Unfortunately, that was the last course they were running, unless they change their minds. That decision was taken before Covid started to dominate things so I don’t think that had anything to do with it. 

Edited by Ianws

I see they have a couple of electrics courses later on in the year. The training room we used was compact. Unless they have alternative options they would struggle with numbers and distancing, which I expect will still be in place.

Edited by Ianws

58 minutes ago, Ianws said:

I was on the last engine maintenance course they did in Jan or Feb. The handout book notes were still yours Tony. Both course and book very good. Gave me the confidence and knowledge to do my first basic service. Unfortunately, that was the last course they were running, unless they change their minds. That decision was taken before Covid started to dominate things so I don’t think that had anything to do with it. 

Did both course still have plenty of practical work and do they still use the "instrument panels" to wire up the engine and sample domestic stuff?

I only did the boat and engine maintenance course. There was a fair bit of practical work but could possibly have been more. More showing than doing but there was the opportunity to have a go at what you had been shown.

Great to see this posted Miso and the hints/guidance - headed onto the water ourselves for the first time (in our own boat) over the Winter so will be following this with great interest.  Cheers, A

The RCR course was great for asking questions about my engine as opposed to the standard ones in the training room. Photos and conversations helped. I think this forum provides similar advice as long as you can provide enough info and detail of your system to work from. If you don’t know what to provide, people will be quick to tell you, don’t be offended it’s all helpful.