Possible new boat on the K & A

RickS

Featured Posts

On 23/07/2020 at 17:33, Halsey said:

Looks VG well done you .................

Damn odd place to keep the mooring pins or are they monster nappy pins for the ones in the washer?

Looks very nice, be better without that cast iron lump in the galley.

That room divider looks terrible though, it would have to go for me.  Who was the fitout by?

2 minutes ago, Rick Savery said:

runs OK but sadly it is overheating (long story) so the plan is probably to change it for a Beta 43.

If you give a bit more detail someone might be able to offer suggestions.

I'm assuming you've checked the cooling system is OK?

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

No such thing as too many pics - unless someone quotes your whole post and ... Oh look -  here they all are again...!  ;)

Congrats on your new boat - I hope you're very happy to together! 

(You too @Tasemu - only joshing above)

:)

I like it too, but a bath!?

Plenty of wood, very Eco friendly renewable fitout.

Shame about the engine but they could be troublesome units. Not Lister's best attempt.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

I like that, nice boat.

Don't be tempted to sit on the suicide seats whilst moving though.  They're only for sitting on when moored.

I thought they were for practicing your angle grinding skills on? ??

Are you suggesting I wear large nappies? ? Shows what i know, I can't even see the mooring pins you are refering to - you must have sharp eyes!

Not 100% about the bath either - there is a crack in it (filled with sealant) so it needs to go at some point. Just not sure whether to replace like with like or go for a shower only.

Long story with the engine (cut short) is that the plumbing appears to be wrong, with parts missing. This is all fixable but may not cure the overheating, so next option is the head gasket. the engine is also cooled via external pipes rather than a skin tank apparently - also not clear if these are sufficient. So plan is, rather than keep throwing money at the problem , which may not solve it (although it might!) - throw large amounts of money at the solution and get external skin tank and a new engine.

Quilt no longer there - not my colour but happy to take your wife's word about the level of skill required to make it ?

OK you asked for it ?

Apparantly, the engine has been plumbed in so that the calorifier is heated first - there are also parts missing (I think re: plumbing). These parts can be taken from another Lister Petter available and the plumbing sorted. This may or may not sort the problem. If not, then the next step is to look at the head gasket. There is not a great desire to do this as it may turn up other problems.

the present cooling system is external 2 inch pipework run along the swim (I have a photo but I'll have to scan it first if anyone wants to see it).

The engine runs OK with the expansion cap off, but heats up very quickly (10 mins or so)

All this is from others more knowledgable than me (which frankly could be anyone, but these people know their onions)

as I said before - it could be just the plumbing, in which case a nice cheap fix, but don't want to just keep spending more and more money. Fitting a new engine etc takes the worry out of it for me.

1 minute ago, Rick Savery said:

it could be just the plumbing, in which case a nice cheap fix, but don't want to just keep spending more and more money. Fitting a new engine etc takes the worry out of it for me.

I'd get a quote for a Beta 43 and the new steelwork (engine bearers, maybe propshaft) before deciding that it's unfixable!

@RLWP is the go-to chap for Listers, or search online for Primrose Engineering if he doesn't spot this post.

• Greenie 1

On 25/08/2020 at 16:36, Rick Savery said:

I agree about the engine, it is lovely and clean - runs OK but sadly it is overheating (long story) so the plan is probably to change it for a Beta 43.

That's a pretty drastic cure for a faulty cooling circuit...

You're probably right, but when the cause of the overheating isn't 100% known - and there are various ideas about the possible cause(s) - I don't want to keep trying things that cost more and more money.

I am at the mercy of others' knowledge and labour to a large extent, as I know nothing about these things, so can't effect a cure myself 

22 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'd get a quote for a Beta 43 and the new steelwork (engine bearers, maybe propshaft) before deciding that it's unfixable!

@RLWP is the go-to chap for Listers, or search online for Primrose Engineering if he doesn't spot this post.

Thanks again for this suggestion. Richard Powell got back to me and hopefully, he may be able to take a look at it.

48 minutes ago, Rick Savery said:

You're probably right, but when the cause of the overheating isn't 100% known - and there are various ideas about the possible cause(s) - I don't want to keep trying things that cost more and more money.

I am at the mercy of others' knowledge and labour to a large extent, as I know nothing about these things, so can't effect a cure myself 

Thanks again for this suggestion. Richard Powell got back to me and hopefully, he may be able to take a look at it.

Richard will sort you out with no bull. :)

23 hours ago, Rick Savery said:

The engine runs OK with the expansion cap off, but heats up very quickly (10 mins or so)

If it heats up as quickly as that I'd suggest you aren't getting any circulation at all. So I would be looking for an air lock, pump problem or pipe blockage.

I once sorted out a problem with a friend's house central heating. It turned out that a gate valve had failed so the gate but was blocking the flow whichever way you turned the handle. So externally all seemed well, except there was no flow. Problem was only found when the valve was removed.  A simple check for circulation may be advisable - disconnect an engine hose, shove mains hose pipe in one end, see if water freely flows from the other end of the circuit.

23 hours ago, Rick Savery said:

as I said before - it could be just the plumbing, in which case a nice cheap fix, but don't want to just keep spending more and more money. Fitting a new engine etc takes the worry out of it for me.

You could get an awful lot of plumbing fixed for the price of a new engine!

I hear what you are saying, and I understand in principle - I just don't feel confident disconnecting anything.

It is giving me hope that it may be fixable rather than a dead loss - the problem is finding someone to have a look / work on it.

The marina can only do so much, and that's OK, I get it, hopefully this chap Richard (no pressure :-)) will be able to see it

On 26/08/2020 at 19:06, Rick Savery said:

I hear what you are saying, and I understand in principle - I just don't feel confident disconnecting anything.

It is giving me hope that it may be fixable rather than a dead loss - the problem is finding someone to have a look / work on it.

The marina can only do so much, and that's OK, I get it, hopefully this chap Richard (no pressure :-)) will be able to see it

Richard is VERY well thought of on this forum so its probably worth letting him have a look if the marina is OK with it - if not move to the towpath near  to an access point for Richard - quite a few where you are I think!

J

Richard took a look at the engine yesterday - a very positive, knowledgable and friendly chap - seems to think it is head gasket related and can be saved. I now feel that there is a very real alternative to installing a new engine, which i am not against, it's just a big outlay of cash - if I can put that off for a while at least, I shall be happy.

So big thanks again to The Biscuits for suggesting i contact him - dare I say now quietly confident ? 

• Greenie 1

Richard certainly has my permission.

I will post when I know more - although with considerably less technical detail - and hopefully it will be a cruise off into the sunset with closing credits ?

• Happy 2

• 5 months later...

Well have just paid for a boat and few days on i have access to boat, keys are left at marina that broker works out of, but said i could take keys away with me. Have owners manual BSC etc ...so do i own a boat or should i wait for seller to return bill of sale i have signed before i relax? 

2 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

Well have just paid for a boat and few days on i have access to boat, keys are left at marina that broker works out of, but said i could take keys away with me. Have owners manual BSC etc ...so do i own a boat or should i wait for seller to return bill of sale i have signed before i relax? 

You have no proof it's yours until you have the bill of sale in your sticky fingers.

22 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

But you dont get that until you have paid your money . Seems an odd way to do business 

Why should you get the BoS without paying for the boat ?

When buying direct from the seller, simply exchange the BoS for a carrier bag of money.

When buying from a broker, the broker can have the BoS ready signed by the seller, simply exchange the BoS for a carrier bag of money.

If paying by cheque then you have not paid until the money has been transferred.

I have paid a broker using a debit card - instant transfer - no problem