Possible new boat on the K & A

RickS

Featured Posts

After I thought about it a bit more - I could maybe (maybe) see where he was coming from - a bit. The broker was based a distance away from where the boat was, so I sort of understand paying someone to show people round. Makes sense to try and get as many people to view within a specific period - a weekend. But asking for a deposit to view did not feel right. If you have to effectively turn people away from viewing because it doesn't fit your staffing pattern, perhaps they are over-reaching themselves and their business model is a bit flawed. Didn't inspire confidence so, sadly, won't be looking at their boats - which is a shame because there are a few that I liked

Edited by Rick Savery

47 minutes ago, Rick Savery said:

After I thought about it a bit more - I could maybe (maybe) see where he was coming from - a bit. The broker was based a distance away from where the boat was, so I sort of understand paying someone to show people round. Makes sense to try and get as many people to view within a specific period - a weekend. But asking for a deposit to view did not feel right. If you have to effectively turn people away from viewing because it doesn't fit your staffing pattern, perhaps they are over-reaching themselves and their business model is a bit flawed. Didn't inspire confidence so, sadly, won't be looking at their boats - which is a shame because there are a few that I liked

In the past it has not been unknown for unscrupulous  'dealers' to see a boat they fancy they could sell, watch its owners movements for a while, advertise it for sale and suggest they cannot make the viewing when you want, but, if you pay a fully refundable 'holding deposit' they will take it off the market until you have viewed it.

The broker you are using may well be legit but it is always worth being careful with 'second hand car dealers'.

The broker in question (as far as I can tell from their website) seems to be a big one. The original boat I had enquired about was now under offer - even though that wasn't showing in their listings.

They have been mentioned - mostly negatively - in other areas of this forum, which information is always useful but subjective.  But their attitude, as I say, does not inspire me to deal with them - certainly not hand over £2k to view a boat.

34 minutes ago, Rick Savery said:

The broker in question (as far as I can tell from their website) seems to be a big one. The original boat I had enquired about was now under offer - even though that wasn't showing in their listings.

They have been mentioned - mostly negatively - in other areas of this forum, which information is always useful but subjective.  But their attitude, as I say, does not inspire me to deal with them - certainly not hand over £2k to view a boat.

Would they happen to be near Whilton Locks ?

If so don't go anywhere near them even with a 'barge-pole'.

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Seconded.  I have also just developed stove envy, at least I will have in 12 month's time when you have got the hang of using it!

Does the engine cooling work on this one? :giggles:

Best I could tell it does, the survey went very well too thankfully. It also has a diesel generator inbuilt which powers induction hobs for summer... Which I also have no idea how to use haha

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Tasemu said:

It also has a diesel generator inbuilt which powers induction hobs for summer..

That's fine as long as you've finished all your cooking before 8pm.

Is that an Aga? It will be nice in winter but hell in summer if you have to heat it up to cook. I assume it's a gas free boat? 

Edited by blackrose

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

That's fine as long as you've finished all your cooking before 8pm.

Is that an Aga? It will be nice in winter but hell in summer if you have to heat it up to cook. 

We should be done by then, though it is locked away in a acoustic box. We could barely hear it from the bedroom. Still though, if its loud then we wouldn't want to disturb the neighbours.

5 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

We should be done by then, though it is locked away in a acoustic box. We could barely hear it from the bedroom. Still though, if its loud then we wouldn't want to disturb the neighbours.

Lots to learn - enjoy it.............

3 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

Rules is rules. Engines and generators should be switched off by 8pm, the noise level is to some extent subjective and irrelevant. However in practice if you're not moored near anyone else and it's a quiet boat engine/generator you can carry on. Likewise if it's quiet and you're considerate and check to see if it's disturbing anyone.

I was once running my Honda generator and at 8pm I gave a neighbouring boat a knock to see if they minded if I ran it for another hour to finish my battery charging. She looked at me as if I was mad because she couldn't hear it!

Just be aware and considerate.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

Remember the rule is "out of earshot of other people".  A foot away from @Arthur Marshall might be enough, a mile from me might not be. ;)

A well silenced built-in genny will be much quieter than an unsilenced frame genny, but try running it at 3AM on a very still night and it will sound a lot louder than during the day.

Don't forget to listen to it from outside the boat as well as inside - some of them are a lot louder for your neighbours than inside your boat.

• Greenie 1

Some years ago we were on a visitors pontoon mooring on the Trent, and late evening a huge "Gin-Palace" pulled in on the opposite side of the pontoon, passed the time of day (as you do) and we all retired. A couple of hours later a generator started it ran for about 10 minutes and switched off, back to sleep, a couple of hours later a generator started, starts getting out of bed and it stops, a couple of hours later same again.

Next morning discussed the disturbed night with the "Gin-Palace boater" who apologised and explained that every time the battery voltage dropped below X (do not remember what the figure it was) the generator automatically kicked in, until it reached X +0.1 again and switched off. I guessed that the batteries were lowish and every time the fridge kicked in it forced the generator to start up.

I suggested he might like to disconnect / switch off the auto sensing when moored up amongst other boats, no ide if he took the idea 'on board'.

I was looking at that boat Tasemu - looks really nice.

I have found a boat myself now, not on the K & A so slightly off-topic - just have to have a survey next week, and, all being well and money changing hands etc . . .

Edited by Rick Savery

1 hour ago, Rick Savery said:

I was looking at that boat Tasemu - looks really nice.

I have found a boat myself now, not on the K & A so slightly off-topic - just have to have a survey next week, and, all being well and money changing hands etc . . .

Excellent! show us some pictures once you're ready. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks again to all who replied to my posts.

I have now bought a boat - not on the K & A in the end, but up in the Midlands, near Daventry.

It is a 66 foot 1998 trad called Country Dreams - really nice condition - need a bit of TLC etc but it is 20 years old!

Anyway - I'm sure no-one is interested after such a long time ? - but I will attempt to put up some pics for those who are.

Many, many thanks again for commenting / helping out with advice etc. i daresay i shall be on again shortly with more questions.

Cheers 

(probably too many pics)

3527396.jpg

3527397.jpg

3527398.jpg

3527399.jpg

3527400.jpg

3527401.jpg

3527402.jpg

3527403.jpg

3527404.jpg

3527405.jpg

3527406.jpg

3527411.jpg

3527412.jpg

3527413.jpg

3527414.jpg

3527415.jpg

3527416.jpg

3527417.jpg

3527419.jpg

4295269.jpg

4295270.jpg

4295299.jpg

4312321.jpg

4355585.jpg

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Rick Savery said:

Thanks again to all who replied to my posts.

I have now bought a boat - not on the K & A in the end, but up in the Midlands, near Daventry.

It is a 66 foot 1998 trad called Country Dreams - really nice condition - need a bit of TLC etc but it is 20 years old!

Anyway - I'm sure no-one is interested after such a long time ? - but I will attempt to put up some pics for those who are.

Many, many thanks again for commenting / helping out with advice etc. i daresay i shall be on again shortly with more questions.

Cheers 

(probably too many pics)

3527396.jpg

3527397.jpg

3527398.jpg

3527399.jpg

3527400.jpg

3527401.jpg

3527402.jpg

3527403.jpg

3527404.jpg

3527405.jpg

3527406.jpg

3527411.jpg

3527412.jpg

3527413.jpg

3527414.jpg

3527415.jpg

3527416.jpg

3527417.jpg

3527419.jpg

4295269.jpg

4295270.jpg

4295299.jpg

4312321.jpg

4355585.jpg

Aye nice man! She looks lovely. :)

Why is it in a bit of a state??

- OK the style  may be a bit dated and mebe too much dark wood.

What's better that that is the clean and tidy engine - that's a rarity to be seen on this forum??

(most have acres of rotten cabling / rotten pipes and tatty paint. Your boat has none of that ....)

Perhaps I am being unfair then ? No not in a state at all. Just a few possibly obvious things: carpets need replacing, a couple of bits of rust on the roof, kitchen worktops need oiling - stuff like that, nothing major at all

I agree about the engine, it is lovely and clean - runs OK but sadly it is overheating (long story) so the plan is probably to change it for a Beta 43.

17 minutes ago, Rick Savery said:

(probably too many pics)

No such thing as too many pics - unless someone quotes your whole post and ... Oh look -  here they all are again...!  ;)

Congrats on your new boat - I hope you're very happy to together! 

(You too @Tasemu - only joshing above)

:)