A weighted problem

Dale jones

Featured Posts

First day out on the bost ,today, engine  ran fine. But noticed that 

the boat tended to sway a lot, as  people move about, looking in the bilge noticed there is  no ballast  , anyone  have an idea of how much ballast,  weight wise , should  go into a 24 fr grp,with a 20 hp engine?

3 minutes ago, Dale jones said:

the boat tended to sway a lot, as  people move about, looking in the bilge noticed there is  no ballast  , anyone  have an idea of how much ballast,  weight wise , should  go into a 24 fr grp,with a 20 hp engine?

In a small grp boat,usually no ballast.

Opinions do vary however,and I have come across some grp boaters who put ballast in the bow to make the boat track straighter.I have tried that with my Norman 20,but found no difference in the handling so I removed it.

A light grp boat will rock a bit when people move around,so just tell them to sit down!

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Dale jones said:

GRP boats don't generally have or need ballast due to the hull shape, however, they are boats and boats do tend to rock and if everyone moves to one side then they will 'tilt' a lot (particularly small and narrow GRP boats)

Its one of those things that you have to get used to with small boats.

Steel narrowboats with many tons of ballast don't tend to move because they are flat bottomed and a bit like a 'skip'.

The fit out inside a GRP cruiser is a significant part of the weight, probably as much as the hull below waterline. It is higher up, more is worse. Hence the slightest extra high weight in one side, like your body, has a large effect. If you hang onto the roof and pull yourself aboard it is even worse.

TD'