Strange signs on the L & L

haggis

Featured Posts

We are enjoying a leisurely trip into Liverpool - we go down the locks tomorrow and we have noticed signs we are not aware of elsewhere. On some bridges there is a sign along the lines of winding hole ahead. At first we thought this meant that there was a winding hole just through the bridge but not so. It can be up to a mile away . Seems a bit unnecessary signage. The other signs which amused as are ones about portage and warning that there is a swing bridge ahead and giving a " distance  in minutes. Some of the signs are about 10 feet from the bridge and if whoever is on a boat needing carried hadn't seen the bridge by that time perhaps they should visit Specsavers .? Are there a lot of boats needing portage on this canal or is this another bright Idea from C&RT?

Haggis

You are on the route of the Desmond Coast to Coast canoe trail, hence the signs for canoeists.

The people who put the signs up did ask why the signs were needed near swing bridges that can no longer swing as there are trees growing through them ...

Word came down from higher up that it didn't matter - the signs were required anyway for Safety Elf reasons.

A week later a cyclist crashed into one of the metal signs hard enough to bend the sharp pointy bit!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You are on the route of the Desmond Coast to Coast canoe trail, hence the signs for canoeists.

The people who put the signs up did ask why the signs were needed near swing bridges that can no longer swing as there are trees growing through them ...

Word came down from higher up that it didn't matter - the signs were required anyway for Safety Elf reasons.

A week later a cyclist crashed into one of the metal signs hard enough to bend the sharp pointy bit!

Obviously the cyclist need signs to warn them about the err signs... ???

Edited by cuthound
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the explanation although I would think that most folk in canoes could get under a closed swing bridge!  Elf and safety though. I wonder how much the signs are used now - although we have seen a few kids in canoes, they didn't look as if they were going very far and we havent seen any serious canoers.

Funny place this englandshire and i always seem to get caught out with big supermarket opening hours. In the frozen north  24 hours opening means that they are open 24 hours but I always forget that 24 hours in England means you have to check the opening hours. Catches me out every year and you would think I would learn?

Haggis

2 hours ago, haggis said:

We are enjoying a leisurely trip into Liverpool - we go down the locks tomorrow

Give us a wave as we go past you.  We're coming up the locks tomorrow.

Top tips for Liverpool:

Get to the locks early and go into Eldonian Basin at the very end of the L&L.  It's easier to reverse into it if you are longer than 45'.  Just turning down Stanley Flight doesn't count as doing the full length of the L&L.

Don't stay moored in Salthouse Dock, go for a cruise all the way to the end of Coburg Dock past Liverpool Marina.  It's a fascinating place and most people don't go and see it by boat, so it's well worth an hour or longer if you fancy the pub at the marina ...

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Don't stay moored in Salthouse Dock, go for a cruise all the way to the end of Coburg Dock past Liverpool Marina.  It's a fascinating place and most people don't go and see it by boat, so it's well worth an hour or longer if you fancy the pub at the marina ...

Just to note that Skipper's Guide says "SAILING WITHIN THE SOUTH DOCKS 8.1 If a boater wishes to sail within the South Docks from their mooring in Salthouse Dock, they must inform the Harbour Manager on 0151 709 6558. The South Docks are used by a variety of recreational users including swimming clubs and sub aqua clubs. Liverpool Watersports Centre is located in Queen’s Dock and activities take place on a daily basis"

Lots of expensive-looking hulls in that direction ?

L1549_20090621_0344.JPG

Edited by PeterScott
  • Greenie 1

Having read Biscuits kind words out  to Iain I then added that the instructions said to let the harbour master know if we planned to move. Then I read Peters reply. 

Thank you both !

We are not going back up the locks till Friday so we have plenty time to explore. Iain had suggested mooring in eldonian village  tonight but as it is many years since we moored there and we were advised not to we stopped at litherland this afternoon and  lazed in the sun after a visit to Tesco

One other boat here going down the locks tomorrow and we had expected more

Haggis

8 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

Just to note that Skipper's Guide says "SAILING WITHIN THE SOUTH DOCKS 8.1 If a boater wishes to sail within the South Docks from their mooring in Salthouse Dock, they must inform the Harbour Manager on 0151 709 6558. The South Docks are used by a variety of recreational users including swimming clubs and sub aqua clubs. Liverpool Watersports Centre is located in Queen’s Dock and activities take place on a daily basis"

Lots of expensive-looking hulls in that direction ?

Yes, check with the harbourmaster.  I probably shouldn't have assumed people read that bit.

There are regular swimming races and loads of canoes and paddleboards in the docks.

They won't deny permission, but they sometimes say don't go between specific times if there is an event on.  The safety boats are the dangerous ones because they don't hang about - overengined RIBs with a job to do.

It was funny coming in last week, because Sid's usual navigation briefing to the first timers sharing the lock with me was essentially "Follow him, he hasn't got lost yet!"

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

we stopped at litherland this afternoon and  lazed in the sun after a visit to Tesco

It's an hour from there to the top lock, so you don't need to start too early.  11:30 if you expect to go weedhatch diving gets you to Stanley Top Lock early enough.

They won't let you through until 1pm anyway.

58 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yes, check with the harbourmaster.  I probably shouldn't have assumed people read that bit.

There are regular swimming races and loads of canoes and paddleboards in the docks.

They won't deny permission, but they sometimes say don't go between specific times if there is an event on.  The safety boats are the dangerous ones because they don't hang about - overengined RIBs with a job to do.

It was funny coming in last week, because Sid's usual navigation briefing to the first timers sharing the lock with me was essentially "Follow him, he hasn't got lost yet!"

We spent a winter in Salthouse. He never answered the phone once or responded to left messages so we just cruised up to the marina once a week and emptied out toilets.

46 minutes ago, pearley said:

We spent a winter in Salthouse. He never answered the phone once or responded to left messages so we just cruised up to the marina once a week and emptied out toilets.

I know that, you know that, but we should stick with the party line for telling others the rules ...

I have a working horn, keep a good lookout and go slowly past the water sports centre.

;)

• Happy 1

18 hours ago, cuthound said:

Obviously the cyclist need signs to warn them about the err signs... ???

Perhaps they could do signs that say "Danger, this sign has sharp edges". That would cover all contingencies. 

On 12/07/2020 at 16:21, pearley said:

That canoe trail website contains this gem:

"Most swing bridges need to be unlocked and either manually or electronically operated, so portaging (as it's known) saves you time and saves water in the canal."

First time I've heard of a bridge that wastes water.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

A couple of pictures to get us back on topic ...

IMG_20200713_103543288.jpg.fc34aeba942ca621c920ca5e38fe8f6b.jpg

I'm still not sure what @haggis looks like, but she was waving vigorously out of a window!

Here's an example of one of the signs that prompted the question, near a not-swing-any-more bridge.

IMG_20200713_164307677.jpg.3ae57a0b90f0d89a3b9ea1ea8ad9cd40.jpg

I was busy being all domesticated when I looked up and saw your boat approaching. I felt a frantic wave was called for ?

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

A couple of pictures to get us back on topic ...

I'm still not sure what @haggis looks like, but she was waving vigorously out of a window!

At risk of wandering into more leafy byways, always fun to find an appropriate image. Here's to a successful trip ?L1129_20050724_0033s.jpg.ab24ee651e6f1921c5f0081ed7f74267.jpg

Edited by PeterScott
Glasgow River Clyde 4am
  • Happy 1

Oh, I remember that trip up past the weir in the Clyde. It was pitch dark (you can only go over the weir at very high tides) and that was us celebrating with Ronnie's champagne when we got back. I would like to think I have lost weight since then ?

Haggis

• Greenie 1

On 12/07/2020 at 18:56, TheBiscuits said:

Actually it doesn't anymore....

it says 

SAILING WITHIN THE SOUTH DOCKS

8.1 Please feel free to explore the docks on your boat. There are a variety of recreational

users on the waterspace, including swimming clubs and sub aqua clubs, please comply

with any instructions given from these groups. Please observe the 5knot speed limit

and be aware that there is a busy Watersports in Queen's Dock and activities take place

on a daily basis.

Restrictions on navigation may be in place during events such as sponsored swims

or other water related events.

thats on the latest skippers guide (I presume) on the CRT pages.   I just happened to be checking yesterday as I wanted to update our August link booking to come into line with the Mon/Wed/Friday thing, but actually it wouldn't let me edit my booking so guess I'll wait for them to ring me up....