An LMS Tug at Etruria

Heartland

Featured Posts

In Peter Lead's book on the Trent & Mersey Canal, there is  a photo of an experimental tug for ice breaking.

The image is from the H C James Collection and it is just possible to make out the "L" on the side of the cabin. As there is a reference in the Waterways Archive (CRT) for a design for a LMS combined icebreaker and tug this image would appear to suggest that the boat was built and used. This was at the time, it seems of Government Control during the war. 

The question is what happened to it?

337001r.jpg

On 12/07/2020 at 12:54, Heartland said:

In Peter Lead's book on the Trent & Mersey Canal, there is  a photo of an experimental tug for ice breaking.

The image is from the H C James Collection and it is just possible to make out the "L" on the side of the cabin. As there is a reference in the Waterways Archive (CRT) for a design for a LMS combined icebreaker and tug this image would appear to suggest that the boat was built and used. This was at the time, it seems of Government Control during the war. 

The question is what happened to it?

337001r.jpg

It isn't Sandbach or Beeston, which were built in 1946 with wheelhouse steering.

Could it perhaps be ROAMA?

Yes I think it is the Roama/Roamer/ Tug No 1 built by Yarwoods in timber in 1938/39 with a Russell Newberry  It survived until fairly recently but Now seems to have disappeared although there are confusingly two steel replicas which often get mistaken for it.

Paul

99630E25-FF1C-48CB-AB82-D1D5530E5E11.jpeg

5EF2F30E-D035-4F29-B4A7-99CFC9E2D490.jpeg

The above pics show the original tug, the first not long after it was built and the second in preservation in  the 80s or 90s when visiting Ellesmere Port.

Edited by Paul H
  • Greenie 2

Also, according to HECLA the craft SANDBACH & BEESTON were built for the Shropshire Union in LMS days

The BCN co BIRD was also a wheehouse steering boat, as was NANSEN II (originally)

According to Clive Guthries list 1999 for Yarwoods, ROAMER was built for the LMS in 1999

Edited by Heartland

• 1 year later...

For reference (as quite a few people appear to be looking for it) the original Roama still exists. It is under long term restoration by a friend of mine, and is sat in my back garden which is why nobody has seen it lately. For reference, the BCN ice boat North Star (renamed Samson) is also sat in my back garden.

Alec

• Greenie 4

On 15/07/2020 at 10:22, Heartland said:

Also, according to HECLA the craft SANDBACH & BEESTON were built for the Shropshire Union in LMS days

The BCN co BIRD was also a wheehouse steering boat, as was NANSEN II (originally)

According to Clive Guthries list 1999 for Yarwoods, ROAMER was built for the LMS in 1999

The plans of Byrd still exist, as do the descriptions of the engine trials. It's Byrd after Richard Byrd the polar explorer. All the BCN iceboats and icebreaking tugs had names associated with something cold - a location, population or explorer. Nansen II was the replacement for the wooden Nansen which was broken up. Fridtjof Nansen, another polar explorer.

Full list of the BCN iceboats and icebreaking tugs at:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/112527-bcn-iceboats/

Alec

On 25/09/2021 at 16:22, Hudds Lad said:

Oooooo, i’ve seen one of those, August this year between Atherstone and Polesworth

79893D71-95E5-43FE-853B-661E624E533A.jpeg

Interesting, the black edging has been painted out in the last couple of weeks. This from 12th September I must admit given the slack line I didn’t think moved when we passed another boat I had thought she had sunk 😕Looks like someone’s working on her. 

D0EBDAAC-A521-434D-BB27-B7CE50064C6A.jpeg

Edited by Stroudwater1
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

The boat astern must be owned by a Portsmouth supporter.

Play up Pompey, Pompey play up! they sing at matches. Funnily enough sounds like it is chanted in a northern accent. 

Its also got a celebratory FA cup winners 2008 motif on the side, its Portsmouth FC through and through. I nearly snapped it as well but I just couldn't bring myself to😃 

Edited by Stroudwater1

• 9 months later...