Have any liveaboard had a positive covid test?

harleyj

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

The virus is real. Some say that the risk is similar to previous bouts of flu epidemics, some say it's a ruse, some say it could kill half a million people in the UK.

The true risk will be debatable until we look back in hindsight but like any potential crisis people will jump onto it to drive their own agenda. 

It's to be hoped that the naysayers are right and that many people are overreacting rather than that a significant percentage of the population are unwitting murderers. I think the coming winter will answer the question.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

It's to be hoped that the naysayers are right and that many people are overreacting rather than that a significant percentage of the population are unwitting murderers. I think the coming winter will answer the question.

The story now near the top of the news is that 120 000 more deaths from CV-19 can be expected over autumn 20 -spring  21 if no mitigating measures are taken. There's another facet that's not getting as much attention: weekly deaths are about 400 down from the seasonal average (which suggests to me that some of the excess deaths we saw earlier might have been people who were already very near their end of life).

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

As long as our coal and log bunkers are full and our lamps trimmed and burning, a cold winter is the best thing we can hope for, as history shows that bugs survive less well in low temperatures. Last "winter" wasn't really a winter at all, and both Mrs. Athy and I got heavy colds (a form of corona virus, apparently) which we don't usually do.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

As long as our coal and log bunkers are full and our lamps trimmed and burning, a cold winter is the best thing we can hope for, as history shows that bugs survive less well in low temperatures. Last "winter" wasn't really a winter at all, and both Mrs. Athy and I got heavy colds (a form of corona virus, apparently) which we don't usually do.

Testing has shown that C19 thrives below 4 degrees C and Autumn / Winter is expected to see an 'explosion' in cases.

The WHO are specifically saying that cold weather does not kill off C19

From the WHO Website :

Cold weather and snow CANNOT kill the COVID-19 virus

There is no reason to believe that cold weather can kill the new coronavirus or other diseases. The normal human body temperature remains around 36.5°C to 37°C, regardless of the external temperature or weather. The most effective way to protect yourself against the new coronavirus is by frequently cleaning your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or washing them with soap and water.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

I think colds, influenza type of viruses like Corona virus thrive in colder weather.  Bacterial type of diseases thrive in warm, hot weather, why I won't go any further south than Canvey island these days. The warm summer probablyhelped more than lockdown and self distancing to reduce the number of covic 19 infections , approaching winter, watch out!!!

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

In fact history shows the opposite to this.  Also, cold winters lead to people crowding together indoors more and, as a result, viral outbreaks tend to be worse. 

Edited by doratheexplorer

51 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Testing has shown that C19 thrives below 4 degrees C and Autumn / Winter is expected to see an 'explosion' in cases.

The WHO are specifically saying that cold weather does not kill off C19

From the WHO Website :

Cold weather and snow CANNOT kill the COVID-19 virus

There is no reason to believe that cold weather can kill the new coronavirus or other diseases. The normal human body temperature remains around 36.5°C to 37°C, regardless of the external temperature or weather. The most effective way to protect yourself against the new coronavirus is by frequently cleaning your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or washing them with soap and water.

Interesting; it must be just an old wives' tale, then, though I can't see the relevance of people's body temperature.

40 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

In fact history shows the opposite to this.  Cold winters lead to people crowding together indoors more and, as a result, viral outbreaks tend to be worse. 

Interesting view, thank you, though is "fact" too strong a word in this context?

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Sorry to harp on about the psycological effects again but it's well known that people tend to get more depressed and stressed in the cold months and that takes it's toll on our immunity to viruses. 

Some of us are miserable all year around so it doesn't make a lot of difference. :)

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

Sorry to harp on about the psycological effects again but it's well known that people tend to get more depressed and stressed in the cold months and that takes it's toll on our immunity to viruses. 

Some of us are miserable all year around so it doesn't make a lot of difference. :)

I'm sure that weather has a psychological effect on people - but gloomy, dreary days, be they very cold or not,tend to cheese people off. Bright, sunlit, frosty days, though they may in fact be colder, make people feel jolly.

The news about an 'explosion' in cases during winter is simply a worse case scenario. The figures are actually worse than just 120,000

Asked to model a "reasonable" worst-case scenario, they suggest a range between 24,500 and 251,000 of virus-related deaths in hospitals alone, peaking in January and February. 

There are other forecasts that the media as usual have not chosen to report more fully. The British BS Corporation being amongst the worst offenders.

(ISTR there were forecasts that half a million should be dead by now in the UK.)

I used to have respect for their news reporting prior to the pandemic but they have lost that as some of their reporting has taken on the same tone as the Daily Fail.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

42 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The news about an 'explosion' in cases during winter is simply a worse case scenario. The figures are actually worse than just 120,000

Asked to model a "reasonable" worst-case scenario, they suggest a range between 24,500 and 251,000 of virus-related deaths in hospitals alone, peaking in January and February. 

Indeed, the study actually suggests that the figure of 120,000 is the most likely (and, does NOT include any care-home deaths) and assumes the current levels of lockdown & restrictions being maintained and no 'jab' or other medication being available.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Interesting; it must be just an old wives' tale, then, though I can't see the relevance of people's body temperature.

Interesting view, thank you, though is "fact" too strong a word in this context?

The relevance of body temperature is that that is where the virus lives.

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

This thread has highlighted for me how different people's experiences vary.  I know dozens of people who have tested postive.  A large proportion of those are work colleagues.  I also know of 4 people who have died, all older relatives of friends.

A few weeks back when arguing with my elderly parents about the wisdom of them going out and round the shops on a daily basis, my dad said "well we don't even know anyone who's had it, do you?"  Implying perhaps that the whole thing was some kind of ruse.

like this 

image.png.f27efd4368101494030132d722d10959.png

On 12/07/2020 at 13:46, Nightwatch said:

Absolutely devastating to get the virus. I dont know the figures but we have, what,65000000 people in the UK. If you look at the big picture, the percentage of people getting the virus is quite low. Doesnt take away the importance of not getting it.

Not to be recommended of course and can be dreadful, but i know 3 livaboards who have had it, all now OK.

My friend's 98 year old mother tested positive but was OK, if seriously fed up as had to be in isolation, a fellow 102 year old resident at her facility also tested positive but is ok, she also survived Spanish flu as a baby in 1918.

I am still keen to avoid it myself.

I don't mind the restrictions too much, I tend to be solitary normally.

Around us there are maybe 26 to 32 people on a regular basis, mostly boater, different ages, and none have had CV19 as far as we can be sure. Some do go to work and have done throughout.

I do go shopping, with precautions and feel happy to do so. The car has sprays of bleach and alcohol mix which I use on the shopping before loading it into the boot.

We seem to have been lucky in that respect, but in the last 6 months I have lost 4 good friends, in various age groups. None have been due to CV19.

My age does concern me but I want to have a happy life rather than be miserable in isolation.

TD'

4 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

(ISTR there were forecasts that half a million should be dead by now in the UK.)

I think there was a forecast from the King's College modelling team in March that 250-500k was a likely outcome of failure to put distancing measures in place, and allowing the virus free rein in pursuit of rapidly attaining herd imunity. Not long after this the government decided that a set of social distancing measures was required, with the intent of reducing the death toll, (with 20k deaths being mentioned as a "good" outcome).

5 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

I love the duck song!

I had temporarily forgotten it existed. Now unfortunately, I can think of nothing else. 

That is why I have so far resisted the temptation to click on the "Play" arrow. ?

Fortunately I never knew it existed or if I did my mind has forgotten about it to protect itself.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

That is why I have so far resisted the temptation to click on the "Play" arrow. ?

Fortunately I never knew it existed or if I did my mind has forgotten about it to protect itself.

What you need is the Bad Lipreading "Seagulls (Stop It Now)" song. ?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

What you need is the Bad Lipreading "Seagulls (Stop It Now)" song. ?

Noooo, I couldn't resist and pressed the "Play" button.

I'll spend the rest of the day regretting it.

• Haha 1

Just an update on my original topic. After getting a few replies that basically told me what we already knew that canalboat life is one of the safest places to be in the UK during a pandemic. Not many of you will know that there is only one country(not Russia, China or North Korea) that will not let it's citizens leave without special permission because of covid, Australia. Just  after I started this topic with the replies that I recieved, I made my submission for exemption from the travel ban, very much thinking we had no chance. Much to my surprise on Sunday we received an email from our government granting permission. 

Sadly due to a shoulder issue I may need an operation in the next few weeks so this year is out but the exemption is transferable so we at least can soon start booking our flights for March 2021.

1 hour ago, harleyj said:

Just an update on my original topic. After getting a few replies that basically told me what we already knew that canalboat life is one of the safest places to be in the UK during a pandemic. Not many of you will know that there is only one country(not Russia, China or North Korea) that will not let it's citizens leave without special permission because of covid, Australia. Just  after I started this topic with the replies that I recieved, I made my submission for exemption from the travel ban, very much thinking we had no chance. Much to my surprise on Sunday we received an email from our government granting permission. 

Sadly due to a shoulder issue I may need an operation in the next few weeks so this year is out but the exemption is transferable so we at least can soon start booking our flights for March 2021.

But will they let you back in?