Have any liveaboard had a positive covid test?

harleyj

Featured Posts

We are currently unable to leave our country apart from special circumstances and I am putting together a submission for us to be able to get to our boat. We have not heard of any liveaboards contracting the virus but wanted to let our government know some loose figures.

7 minutes ago, harleyj said:

We are currently unable to leave our country apart from special circumstances and I am putting together a submission for us to be able to get to our boat. We have not heard of any liveaboards contracting the virus but wanted to let our government know some loose figures.

I doubt asking here would provide anything like a reliable sample size.

Id be more inclined to ask for data on the postcode area where the boat is kept, you might find its quite low, and hopefully its not in Leicester.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd get your submission in quickly - there was a 'breaking news' flash this morning with Public Health England forecasting a second wave in September.

That confirms what I posted in the last day or two. Changed from "its a possibility" to "we expect"

20 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I doubt asking here would provide anything like a reliable sample size.

This is true.  The only person I know personally that had Covid-19 is a liveaboard, so in my sample 100% of liveaboards infected with the virus needed hospital treatment.

This might not help convince the Aussie government to let @harleyj play out on the canals though.

Absolutely devastating to get the virus. I dont know the figures but we have, what,65000000 people in the UK. If you look at the big picture, the percentage of people getting the virus is quite low. Doesnt take away the importance of not getting it.

Current estimates say only 5% of the UK population have had it so far. Though others put it as highas 25%, who the heck to believe.

I personally know 4 people who have had it. 3 family members,1 of them tested postive and was critically ill, now recovering thankfully. His wife and daughter both had classic symptoms but mild. They were not testing contacts at the time but 99% sure they would have tested +ve if they had been.

The 4th is an A+E nurse who live across the road. She was tested and was +ve. She was poorly but not hospitalised. 

This was all at the onset of the pandemic in the UK and I dont personally know anybody infected recently.

(None of course are liveaboards though).

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Absolutely devastating to get the virus. I dont know the figures but we have, what,65000000 people in the UK. If you look at the big picture, the percentage of people getting the virus is quite low. Doesnt take away the importance of not getting it.

Like the maths with insurance policies/premiums. The chances of needing to claim (in most cases) will be very low but, oh dear, when you need it, you really do and you need a 100% chance of being cured/treated.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Friends of ours have three relations in the Ambulance service. All three of them have had positive tests. Not severe but bad enough to be off work for a few weeks or more.

My other daughter who works as a mental health nurse alongside the police in a custody suite started with classic symptoms last week. One of the guys in custody had tested positive whilst she was at work.

She was tested but luckily hers was   -ve so she could return to work straightaway. The result was sent to her by text within 24 hours which I thought was quite impressive.

Saw a friend today who tested all her ( nursing) workforce last week.

2 who had been off for weeks with the virus proved not to have had it.

one who had not had a day sick in 5 years tested positive and has worked throughout.. ( asymptomatic)

That was out of 30 community nhs workers .

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

So were Superdrug....and then Matt Hancock pulled all the private testing capacity so the government could reach their 100k target......a target we thought was actual tests, but ended up being capacity as they changed the goalposts at the last day of May.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

So were Superdrug....and then Matt Hancock pulled all the private testing capacity so the government could reach their 100k target......a target we thought was actual tests, but ended up being capacity as they changed the goalposts at the last day of May.

I thought that was for confirming you had got it tests, not the antibody one to show you have had it.

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought that was for confirming you had got it tests, not the antibody one to show you have had it.

The .gov took ALL capacity by every lab operating, just to get in there so Boris and Matt didnt look foolish for the 2nd month running.

Included in the "we have beaten our target" included counting sending out 47,000 tests by post with no return labels ....so they couldn't be processed anyway....but heyho, Boris got his podium speech.

Why is it that tne older I get (and I'm old) the less I trust politicians.?????

I only know one person who I can absolutley say has has it. She contracted it early on in th pandemic. After 10 day on a ventilator she is slowly recovering. If she ever gets back to being her old self it will be a long time. She is in her mid 40s

Assuming that OP meant; Has any liveaboard had a positive Covid 19 test ?  as opposed to, "have any liveaboard had positive covid 19 test ?" then this post  answers the question .  This is true.  The only person I know personally that had Covid-19 is a liveaboard, 

8 hours ago, Slim said:

Why is it that tne older I get (and I'm old) the less I trust politicians.?????

I only know one person who I can absolutley say has has it. She contracted it early on in th pandemic. After 10 day on a ventilator she is slowly recovering. If she ever gets back to being her old self it will be a long time. She is in her mid 40s

We know of a couple of people who have had it and tested positive for it. A friends brother died from it pretty early on in the pandemic. He was a large lad in his mid 40's with underlying health conditions. 

The other was our neighbours mother who was in her 80's who died also with underlying health problems. 

It was suspected that Liams apprentice had it early on in the pandemic but there was no widespread testing at that point so it was never confirmed. Despite having other health issues he was quite ill but didn't need hospital treatment and recovered at home.

But that obviously doesn't count those we know who may have had it but dont know they have had it.