New boat

MrsM

Featured Posts

Oh my god brown trousers time! Having our prospective first boat surveyed (Ian Jennings) next week. It's a 58' Amber NB. A very neglected (due to illness) and under-used boat. Yes ...  we've read everything about the vagueries of the Polish boat industry on CWN, but nevertheless we are beyond excited. No pictures yet and she needs a full repaint like you've never seen before #HMS Exzema ?. Was sold through a reputable broker 2 years ago but seems to have been laquered with something that has reacted badly with the paint. Needless to say she is an ugly duckling. We look forward to doing her proud and starting our muddy ditch adventures. Will update once the survey is over next Friday. ? (If it goes badly we will be back to scouring Apollo Duck.)

Edited by MrsM
  • Greenie 1

Well done you - I bought a boat sight unseen on eBay yesterday...  will find out next week if it was a good idea, at least in theory.
Then need to get her out of the water, surveyed and blacked...

Crazy days.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Chris-B said:

Hope all goes well 

Thank you Chris-B

2 hours ago, Cinimod said:

Well done you - I bought a boat sight unseen on eBay yesterday...  will find out next week if it was a good idea, at least in theory.
Then need to get her out of the water, surveyed and blacked...

Crazy days.

Wowzers that was very brave of you. Good luck with the survey. It's a massive learning curve for us but we feel reassured that the surveyor should hopefully prevent an expensive mistake. What is your new boat? Have you had one before? I've seen a few crackers on eBay over the last few months. 

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If it surveys 'well' that's the main thing, aesthetics can be easily fixed but a faulty engine, gearbox or a hull full of holes are a bit more of a challenge.

Hoping it all goes well for you - will you be calling it 'Yellow-Belly' ?

Thanks so much Alan. The Barrus Shire 40 was serviced recently and the engineer was impressed with it, according to the boat's neighbour in the marina. It has a PRM 150 gearbox, aquadrive & hospital silencer. All apparently in good order. Lucky because the boat hasn't done many hours since 2012 and we were concerned things might be seized. We set out with the intention of finding a boat that doesn't need much work but it is so true that the boat finds you! The state of the hull is now the possible stumbling block but we will soon find out. Love the name idea and perhaps the starting point for a new colour scheme! 

• Happy 1

13 hours ago, MrsM said:

Oh my god brown trousers time! Having our prospective first boat surveyed (Ian Jennings) next week. It's a 58' Amber NB. A very neglected (due to illness) and under-used boat. Yes ...  we've read everything about the vagueries of the Polish boat industry on CWN, but nevertheless we are beyond excited. No pictures yet and she needs a full repaint like you've never seen before #HMS Exzema ?. Was sold through a reputable broker 2 years ago but seems to have been laquered with something that has reacted badly with the paint. Needless to say she is an ugly duckling. We look forward to doing her proud and starting our muddy ditch adventures. Will update once the survey is over next Friday. ? (If it goes badly we will be back to scouring Apollo Duck.)

Welcome to the wonderful world of boating. ?

Hope all goes well with the survey.

It is unlikely that anything significant will have happened to the steel ifvit was OK two years ago, especially above the waterline.

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

It is unlikely that anything significant will have happened to the steel ifvit was OK two years ago, especially above the waterline.

Fully agree above the waterline, but going on the experience of 'KeepingUp' I'd never take even a year for granted. Can't remember the exact time scale, but he was close to losing his boat due to the dreaded rot, and that was over a relatively short time, something like two years if I remember correctly.

28 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Fully agree above the waterline, but going on the experience of 'KeepingUp' I'd never take even a year for granted. Can't remember the exact time scale, but he was close to losing his boat due to the dreaded rot, and that was over a relatively short time, something like two years if I remember correctly.

True but that was one off over 35,000 boats registered on CRT's waters. 

A most unusual occurrence.

9 hours ago, MrsM said:

Wowzers that was very brave of you. Good luck with the survey. It's a massive learning curve for us but we feel reassured that the surveyor should hopefully prevent an expensive mistake. What is your new boat? Have you had one before? I've seen a few crackers on eBay over the last few months. 

Thanks MrsM

We will have to see whether it was a good or a stupid decision - It did have new plating done about 6 years ago and I know it is probably in need of a blacking, last done a couple of years ago - so will have to try and get that done somewhere...  As I will be living onboard, do they let you stay onboard whilst out of the water or would I need to find somewhere else to stay?  Also - as it is a springer (I believe, v-shaped hull) do all yards do those, or only a few?

Also is there a way to keep the cost down? 

What is the most cost effective way to get it out?

I am happy to help out with the blacking, but am not confident to do it on my own... 

I have seen Yelvertoft suggested as a good place, but can not remember where now.

I will be travelling to Bath from York via Braunston over the next month, or so - any recommendations definitely welcome.

(Will also want someone to do a survey whilst she is out.)

51 minutes ago, Cinimod said:

Thanks MrsM

We will have to see whether it was a good or a stupid decision - It did have new plating done about 6 years ago and I know it is probably in need of a blacking, last done a couple of years ago - so will have to try and get that done somewhere...  As I will be living onboard, do they let you stay onboard whilst out of the water or would I need to find somewhere else to stay?  Also - as it is a springer (I believe, v-shaped hull) do all yards do those, or only a few?

Also is there a way to keep the cost down? 

What is the most cost effective way to get it out?

I am happy to help out with the blacking, but am not confident to do it on my own... 

I have seen Yelvertoft suggested as a good place, but can not remember where now.

I will be travelling to Bath from York via Braunston over the next month, or so - any recommendations definitely welcome.

(Will also want someone to do a survey whilst she is out.)

Sounds exciting. We are having our lifted out, surveyed and blacked at Blackthorn Marina. Hopefully someone will answer your questions as I'm afraid I don't know. Good luck with it all and hope your buy turns out well. 

@MrsM I hope that the survey went well and you are happy with your purchase.

I picked mine up yesterday and brought it down the Ouse this morning and in at Selby Junction... so far so good... Just about enough room for everything I need (and some stuff I need to clear out... )

Have fun!

1 hour ago, Cinimod said:

@MrsM I hope that the survey went well and you are happy with your purchase.

I picked mine up yesterday and brought it down the Ouse this morning and in at Selby Junction... so far so good... Just about enough room for everything I need (and some stuff I need to clear out... )

Have fun!

That is fantastic news! So pleased you are happy with your boat and that she suits you. Our out of water survey went well in terms of the hull but we found some other issues (pumpout loo flooding etc) that we hadn't banked on. We were within a whisker of having to walk away but were able to negotiate a bit off the price so should be able to get repairs we need. Fingers crossed. A long way to go till we will have a boat we can be proud of but just happy to be finally getting on the water. Congratulations again and perhaps our paths will cross on the cut. M

Pumpout loo flooding is a well known problem. If it flushes from the boat's water system, all that holds the water back is a solenoid valve. Many hire boats have (or perhaps 'had'; good few years since we hired :rolleyes:) a tap in series with this, with hirers being instructed to turn it on when loo in use, and off when finished.

We got caught out by a faulty solenoid valve once on a shared boat. The water which overflows from the loo is clean; even with a dump through, the nasties stay in the tank.

• Happy 1

29 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Pumpout loo flooding is a well known problem. If it flushes from the boat's water system, all that holds the water back is a solenoid valve. Many hire boats have (or perhaps 'had'; good few years since we hired :rolleyes:) a tap in series with this, with hirers being instructed to turn it on when loo in use, and off when finished.

We got caught out by a faulty solenoid valve once on a shared boat. The water which overflows from the loo is clean; even with a dump through, the nasties stay in the tank.

I have one of these, not this make but this type 

image.png.d3530a0c94d09fe8cb79d91d5a5e3cd9.png