Calcutt locks No2

meerdog

Featured Posts

Every day is a school day. Guess what I have learned today. On these locks there is a small culvert up stream of the cill so the pound level can be dropped below the cill level for maintenance I guess. The bung was leaking so they have put a new on in. I was going to say the lock is now all good anyway it is back the way it was. 

You should be able to see the upper end of a cill drain in this photo of the 3-rise locks at Bingley. They are by no means universal, with none being fitted to the next chamber, and only a few found on other locks on the L&LC.

3-rise i.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, PeterG said:

Is this still an issue or has it been suitably bodged into more life?

I think they may have done something, there where some planks etc piled up on the offside of the lock, but the lock was working fine when we came up on Friday, and with the volume of boats out at the moment it will have had some serious use since then.  Hillmorton on the other hand is a PITA with lock 4 out of use, took us 2 hours to come down.