Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
W+T

Cost to stretch a NB hull ?

Featured Posts

Just now, Keeping Up said:

I think it was just a diy job, on the bank side near the top of the Ashby.

That explains it, no locks, didn't need to be straight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/07/2020 at 17:10, Machpoint005 said:

 

I've often wondered why a boat gets "stretched" when it would be far easier (and probably cheaper) to sell it and buy a longer one.

It may be some kind of emotional attachment to what is basically a floating steel box, but I just don't get it.

 

 

 

On 12/07/2020 at 17:23, TheBiscuits said:

 

That's the one.  It usually ends in tears because in many cases the boat handles totally differently afterwards, and if it was originally a real pig to handle then it wouldn't usually get stretched!

 

One of the forumites stretched their much loved boat and it handled better afterwards, but I can't remember who it was.

 

It's fiddly to fit out the new bit too, as you need to reconnect all the services and carry panelling through the already fitted bits to the new piece.  I don't think I'd do it myself - as you say, just buy a different one that's close to what you want.

 

I added 7 foot it cost 5 k for the steelwork, it added shape and balance to the boat and its a much better boat in every way now than it was

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/07/2020 at 17:10, Machpoint005 said:

I've often wondered why a boat gets "stretched" when it would be far easier (and probably cheaper) to sell it and buy a longer one.

It may be some kind of emotional attachment to what is basically a floating steel box, but I just don't get it.

FWIW, a year ago I was thinking of stretching my 45' boat and here were my calculations:

10 ft of stretching = £10000

haulage fees = £1500

new section fit out with electrician and gas man involved + materials = £3000

Let's say 15000 all together.

 

Money I would get after selling (realistically) 30000-32000

 

If I wanted to buy a boat of this length, which is in the same category of quality, builder etc. I would be looking at spending around 50000 according to my search what was available then. Plus I would need to have at least £2000 ready after paying for the new boat if anything goes wrong as it possibly can with relatively unknown boat and  another 1000 for survey and craning out.

 

Another reason why I was seriously considering the option of stretching was that I live on my boat and cannot simply put it into brokerage waiting for sell and waiting then for the right boat to come onto market. Stretching takes 1 month, which I would manage somehow, selling and buying can take much longer.

 

I think that at worst I would break even.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/07/2020 at 18:22, Tracy D'arth said:

Easier way is to cut one end off, usually the stern just forward of the engine, make room for a longer engine, and put a new stern swims and correct size skin tanks on using the existing deck and bulkhead.

They used to do this at Wigan, constructing a new stern completely. I have thought of doing this to convert unwanted unloved pointless semitrads to trads with a large and small rear roof hatches. 

Pipe dreams now, I don;t think I could cope with all the welding, it gets so boring, rod after rod after rod........................................

TD'

Or better still you could make them into cruiser sterns 🤣 and make them even more popular

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

That explains it, no locks, didn't need to be straight!

 

Mind you with the stop locks at the beginning of the Ashby it could have seriously limited its cruising range. 😁😂🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well got first price to do it. £7000 to do the full job and £2600 to weld my prep work up. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heh, this whole thread has got me thinking again.... as the thought of stretching has crossed my mind a few times, just for the extra 10ft - the fit out would be much more accommodating.

 

I do think it is largely due to the sentimental attachment I've developed, and the only reason I would consider selling my boat is for a bit of extra space.

 

In its current state it definitely wouldnt buy me a longer boat and as its still just a shell, it would be a good time to do it.. 🤔

 

It has been overplated as well, (also in Lymm, funnily enough).... so this thread has definitely been food for thought!

 

I was a bit concerned about the new base plate (as its been tucked underneath in several segments rather than one long piece).. so if i could somehow detach that, I could use the steel for the stretch.... oooo

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, abnormalsheep said:

Heh, this whole thread has got me thinking again.... as the thought of stretching has crossed my mind a few times, just for the extra 10ft - the fit out would be much more accommodating.

 

I do think it is largely due to the sentimental attachment I've developed, and the only reason I would consider selling my boat is for a bit of extra space.

 

In its current state it definitely wouldnt buy me a longer boat and as its still just a shell, it would be a good time to do it.. 🤔

 

It has been overplated as well, (also in Lymm, funnily enough).... so this thread has definitely been food for thought!

 

I was a bit concerned about the new base plate (as its been tucked underneath in several segments rather than one long piece).. so if i could somehow detach that, I could use the steel for the stretch.... oooo

Best thing I ever did was add 7 foot to the boat,  yes it's a widebeam so not short of space but it looks so much better and it allowed me to get the boat just right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Best thing I ever did was add 7 foot to the boat,  yes it's a widebeam so not short of space but it looks so much better and it allowed me to get the boat just right

Are there any paperwork issues regarding DIY stretching a NB?

Obviously declaring to CRT for the extra licence costs, but RCD, inspections or insurance difficulties?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, smiler said:

Are there any paperwork issues regarding DIY stretching a NB?

Obviously declaring to CRT for the extra licence costs, but RCD, inspections or insurance difficulties?

 

None it was all handled by Johnathan Wilson and it was due its BSS at the end so no issues at all DIY I have no idea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, peterboat said:

None it was all handled by Johnathan Wilson and it was due its BSS at the end so no issues at all DIY I have no idea?

Ok thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, smiler said:

Ok thanks.

Welcome it was easy done on my boat as it had a detachable stern!!! Don't ask so it was given an upsweep and a wheelhouse looks great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, smiler said:

Are there any paperwork issues regarding DIY stretching a NB?

Obviously declaring to CRT for the extra licence costs, but RCD, inspections or insurance difficulties?

 

If the boat was built 'subject to RCD rules' then yes, lengthening will require a Post Construction Survey to ensure compliance (post 2017 rules)

You will need to factor that into your costings.

 

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2017/737/made

 

 ...............the boat would require a Post Construction Assessment and the documentation, builders plate and CE markings all need to be updated. Although a self assessment is possible, it is not recommended as the fitter would resume all responsibility as the manufacturer and it is also a lengthy and involved process. In the worse case scenario, it could mean you are held criminally responsible if the boat sank and there was loss of life. It is recommended that you appoint a professional to complete the post construction assessment, this would be at of cost of around £2000.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If the boat was built 'subject to RCD rules' then yes, lengthening will require a Post Construction Survey to ensure compliance (post 2017 rules)

You will need to factor that into your costings.

 

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2017/737/made

 

 ...............the boat would require a Post Construction Assessment and the documentation, builders plate and CE markings all need to be updated. Although a self assessment is possible, it is not recommended as the fitter would resume all responsibility as the manufacturer and it is also a lengthy and involved process. In the worse case scenario, it could mean you are held criminally responsible if the boat sank and there was loss of life. It is recommended that you appoint a professional to complete the post construction assessment, this would be at of cost of around £2000.

Thank you for the reply.

A bit pricey then.

I wish I'd trained as a construction assessor/engineer 35 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we added 20ft to my 35ft springer  some years back .make  sure you have a survey done before the job is under taken ,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.