Kabola diesel stove / calorifier

jake_crew

Featured Posts

A friend has acquired this stove cum calorifier from a barge in Holland and wishes to know more about it.

Its a Kabola OD 7 E , 8.5kw output which consumes diesel.

I can't find anything like it on the Kabola website.

I assume it needs a power supply, but whether that would be 12 / 24 DC or 110 or 240 vac who knows.

Does anyone recognise it ?

IMG-20200711-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20200711-WA0015.jpg

Mine is a tank above the stove the stony valve has a float and needle valve in it to control flow 

My issue is mine is a back boiler set up to heat water in a calorifier and central heating,  yours maybe something different have you googled it?

Edited by peterboat

1 hour ago, jake_crew said:

Thanks Peter,

In your experience - does that mean the fuel supply has to have a header tank or feed pump to push the fuel in ?

Mine had about 4ft head when fuel tank was full and about 6 inches when almost empty over a 35ft pipe run.  It used to get a bit iffy when tank was very low.

So long as you have a minimum of 9" head it should be fine.

Its called a Kabola Old Dutch 

Edited by Loddon

I have the 4kW Kabola Old Dutch stove. Great little stove. Very reliable, but need thoroughly cleaning every 500 hours of running (about 3 weeks continuous running).

Mine is gravity fed from a tank in one of the bow lockers. The bottom of the tank is about a foot higher than the oil inlet of the stove. No electricity needed.

You say yours has a calorifier. I think you mean it has a coil of copper tubing around the inside of the stove. This is the heat exchanger for the back boiler which allows you to supply hot water to a couplevofvradiators and/or the calorifier (AKA as a hot wster cylinder when installed in a house).

This is basically the same as a Refleks stove.  I suggest you join the Refleks Diesel Facebook page.  There is a wide range of files, instructions etc. you can download.

I've also got plenty of details about the installation and maintenance of Refleks stoves, but they are all PDFs and I don't think I can post them on this site.

PM me if you want me to send you the files.

In my opinion you can't beat these heaters :)

eta

The regulator is worth quite a bit because this model is now obsolete and they rarely turn up on ebay etc.

Edited by koukouvagia

22 hours ago, jake_crew said:

Thanks Peter,

In your experience - does that mean the fuel supply has to have a header tank or feed pump to push the fuel in ?

Mine has a separate diesel tank.  It is gravity fed.  If I recollect correctly the drop from the bottom of the tank to the top of the regulator has to be greater then 8 inches.

Bear in mind that if the separate tank is greater then 28 litres then it will be subject to BSS regulations - flame arrester, overflow arrangements etc.

Hi,

I also have the small version of this fire, the OD4, with water heating coil, they are excellent stoves, but the large version may only be suitable for a full length boat. Take care using it without water in the heating side and the manufacturers do not recommend using the stove with a heating coil unless you have a pumped water circuit. I have found a way of getting round this.

They are good stoves and to get them to run efficiently it's best to get a catalyst to fit inside the fire.

A useful address is Karunda (Google for details), they hold some spares and may have online manuals.

Some of the parts are shared with the Refleks unit, the carburettor contains a small fuel filter and it's worth studying the manual before working on this.

As stated regular cleaning is needed, but be careful with the bottom of the burner pot as the one on my fire this perforated  (I have read of this happening on other fires), Karunda tracked a spare down from the makers, but at great cost. 

One piece which can be troublesome is the small copper pipe which connects the carb with the burner, this 'claggs' up and needs removal and careful cleaning (ie. Push a pipe cleaner through it).

Stacks of info about lighting these stoves, check these and don't try re-lighting when warm using the meths method.............

They can suffer from down draught in windy situations, this can be overcome by fitting different chimney arrangements.

Edited by LEO

• 11 months later...