Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
mark99

Ayrshire Potato

Featured Posts

Anyone else tried these?

I thought the ultimate spuds were Jersey Royals but the Ayeshire to me are better by far.

I used to holiday on a farm in Ayrshire, in the days when farm yard manure and seaweed were used as fertilisers, the sandy loam and the temperate climate encouraged early potatoes, the variety Epicure, and I believe the Jersey Royal is the same variety. They were wonderfull, we picked our own, and drank the milk pretty much straight from the cow. 

Edited by LadyG

Jersey Royals are the variety of First Early spud officially titled International Kidney.  IIRC.

N

Pink fir apple, although a main crop is, at least in my opinion, the best tasting salad potato, small awkward shaped tubers low cropping but worth the effort

• Greenie 2

Thread title now altered so it doesn't sound like a spud from Yorks or Lancs.

I can recommend my fuel supplier ( yorkshire ), Paul Cooper Fuels who sell 25kg sacks, local grown, last year the variety Venezia were wonderfull, baking and boilng, very tasty, second earlies.

Edited by LadyG

Where I used to work, every year one of the guys sold sacks of spuds from his Dad's farm that the supermarkets wouldn't take they were only Maris Pipers but they were absolutely huge anything up to 20cm long but wow what a jacket spud they made.

18 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Where I used to work, every year one of the guys sold sacks of spuds from his Dad's farm that the supermarkets wouldn't take they were only Maris Pipers but they were absolutely huge anything up to 20cm long but wow what a jacket spud they made.

Jacket spuds are comfort food champions

How do you cook yours?

Wrapped in tin foil

Wrapped in tin foil rubbed with olive oil, salt, pepper

Tin foil then taken out to crisp for the last half hour

Plain and naked

No tin foil but rubbed with oil, salt and pepper

Of course proper salted butter as dressing, maybe cheese the rest is just guilding the lilly

:)

Edited by tree monkey

I cheat, while the oven is warming up they get softened in the microwave then straight in the hot oven naked for crisping up.

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Jacket spuds are comfort food champions

How do you cook yours?

Wrapped in tin foil

Wrapped in tin foil rubbed with olive oil, salt, pepper

Tin foil then taken out to crisp for the last half hour

Plain and naked

No tin foil but rubbed with oil, salt and pepper

Of course proper salted butter as dressing, maybe cheese the rest is just guilding the lilly

:)

https://tenor.com/view/homer-simpson-stuffed-food-coma-gif-13891896

One of my favourite dishes is hot baked potato, crispy skin with a tub of cold plain cottage cheese on top with a few olives.

• Greenie 2

Mine on the allotment are coning along fantastic, when I lived in Auchencairn I used to go up into ayrshire and yes the tatties are good

I prefer two medium large spuds baked naked in wood ash. Cooking in foil, I use olive oil and  coarse salt.

Just now, LadyG said:

I prefer two medium large spuds baked naked in wood ash. Cooking in foil, I use olive oil and  coarse salt.

That is the best way I used to look after the fire when we were jungle bashing the wey and arun years ago mid afternoon I shoveled out a load of white hot embers and the ladies cooked spuds in them.