Cruising ranges for widebeams

Featured Posts

Hi everyone! My partner & I are keen to understand cruising ranges for widebeams. Apologies if this has been posted about before in the forum but a quick search didn't yield any results.

I've found this article - https://www.canalboat.co.uk/waterways/canal-network/far-and-wide-1-3538049 - but I'm really more of a visual person. Does anyone know of any maps (not detailed navigation ones but high-level overview ones ideally free online) showing the cruising ranges for widebeams in the UK?

Many thanks! 

--

Edited to add: My apologies - a further Google search threw up this post - it seems the in-forum search function wasn't working. 

--

Further edit: Found this map which seems informative:

widebeam_map%20(1).png

Edited by isabella

7 minutes ago, isabella said:

Hi everyone! My partner & I are keen to understand cruising ranges for widebeams. Apologies if this has been posted about before in the forum but a quick search didn't yield any results.

I've found this article - https://www.canalboat.co.uk/waterways/canal-network/far-and-wide-1-3538049 - but I'm really more of a visual person. Does anyone know of any maps (not detailed navigation ones but high-level overview ones ideally free online) showing the cruising ranges for widebeams in the UK?

Many thanks! 

http://www.mappery.com/map-of/UK-Broad-Beam-Canal-Map

• Greenie 1

To save typing oodles of stuff, a lot of which may not be relevant to you.

You'll help us to help you if you tell us: -

Where you're thinking of keeping this boat.

Your purpose for it, residential on a mooring, residential continuous cruising, or leisure only?

Your definition of a wide beam in feet and inches.

• Greenie 1

And do remember that a map will only tell you what is possible due to lock and bridge 'ole widths, it will not tell you what is pleasant. In some places abundant moored boats and overhanging trees will make life very difficult/unpleasant but not impossible.

The canals were built for moving boats and allowing for a long line of moored boats was not part of the design. Also some canals with wide locks were likely intended to be used by pairs of narrowboats so the channel itself might not be suitable for two widebeams to pass.

................Dave

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

To save typing oodles of stuff, a lot of which may not be relevant to you.

You'll help us to help you if you tell us: -

Where you're thinking of keeping this boat.

Your purpose for it, residential on a mooring, residential continuous cruising, or leisure only?

Your definition of a wide beam in feet and inches.

We're looking at a 57x12 widebeam for CCing around London and of course also further afield e.g. over towards Bath & Bristol if poss? That's not essential (to be able to make it over there) but we'll be needing to meet CC requirements and just keen to confirm what sort of range we could expect to enjoy on a widebeam. 

Rather you than me.

CC'ing around the London area at those dimensions is possible, but as DMR points out in post 5, your interpretation of fun may bey tested.

Taking into account the lack of available mooring room against the towpath in that area means that narrow beam boats are doubling up.  So you've already got a restricted channel. especially if you meet another fat boat coming the other way.

You'll be looking for 57 ft of suitable towpath without doubling up, or you'll be dwarfing single moored boats on the inside and still sticking out into the channel.

What is it that has persuaded you this is for you?

Have you decided to upgrade in size after a few years of narrow boating?

Or have you researched and concentrated on the romantic elements of spending your free time carrying buckets of poo and pee around while trying to work out when you'll need to start rationing your water?

Or have you been listening to Bloke down the pub?

• Greenie 1