Question.. Not sure how to title this.

Soozie

Featured Posts

Level with and to the left of the filter there is what looks like a gasket joint. If so then there might well be something of a gap around it.

It helps in getting useful trplies if you provide as much information as you can, in this case exact engine type, numbers, etc.

No it is not normal. There is no gasket or anything like that but it looks like when the cowling was fitted the bottom edge has caught on the crankcase. Ideally it should be removed and correctly fitted so you dont lose too much of the cooling air through the gap.

OK, thanks people. Yes should have said its a lister.. Sr3? I think. 

1 hour ago, Steve56 said:

No it is not normal. There is no gasket or anything like that but it looks like when the cowling was fitted the bottom edge has caught on the crankcase. Ideally it should be removed and correctly fitted so you dont lose too much of the cooling air through the gap.

OK. That makes sense. Will have a further look into it. Thank you. 

8 hours ago, Soozie said:

OK, thanks people. Yes should have said its a lister.. Sr3? I think. 

OK. That makes sense. Will have a further look into it. Thank you. 

If you need a hand - shout - I'm in North MK.

It is a Lister SR.  If the oil stops leaking it is because it has run out.

Good idea to get a better fit of the cowling, and, while it is off, give the cylinder fins a Good rake out.

N

50 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

Has it always been this oily ?  Or has the oil recently appeared ?

If the latter, perhaps a gasket has failed.

The OP posted earlier in the year with

She seems to have acquired a boat in generally good condition, needing a bit of TLC, and has the enthusiasm to do it.

This is all really helpful thank you. Will look into all suggestions here. I'm hoping this boat might keep trotting along for a bit, as covid has destroyed my partners work, and we have had to run through our boat budget.

34 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

The OP posted earlier in the year with

She seems to have acquired a boat in generally good condition, needing a bit of TLC, and has the enthusiasm to do it.

If it is a gasket, how difficult would it be to attempt fitting a new one myself, or at this point should I try and take the hit, and get a mechanic in? Currently I'm going to try to clean the oil from the outside of the engine to try and make it easier to see potential issues. It has always been that oily, but the entire engine room is fairly manky, and needs a good clean.