Time to fit a second tank for central heating

Featured Posts

49 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Using one to heat domestic water maybe...I would have to run the engine for 22 mins,but it would heat up faster than my calorifier.

I have always thought about fitting a coil of 8/10mm copper pipe installed against the steel deck-head,with a slow circulation of water flowing through it via the calorifier.During the summer,I am sure it would heat up the calorifier throughout the day!?....I'll put it off til next year...Again!!??

@Jen-in-Wellies has a solar water heating system, but it's quite a bit more than a pipe on the roof!

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:
1 hour ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Using one to heat domestic water maybe...I would have to run the engine for 22 mins,but it would heat up faster than my calorifier.

I have always thought about fitting a coil of 8/10mm copper pipe installed against the steel deck-head,with a slow circulation of water flowing through it via the calorifier.During the summer,I am sure it would heat up the calorifier throughout the day!?....I'll put it off til next year...Again!!??

@Jen-in-Wellies has a solar water heating system, but it's quite a bit more than a pipe on the roof!

Do a forum search for solar thermal for my system. To be really effective, a solar thermal hot water system needs a transparent cover suspended over the copper pipes to create a miniature greenhouse and trap the energy from the day star. Without, you might only get appreciable water heating on a couple of the hottest, sunniest days in the summer. By contrast, mine was still providing a daily hot tank till the end of September. It occasionally starts up now, but isn't extracting any significant heat. The stove back boiler has taken over in providing the boats hot water till the Spring.

Jen

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Do a forum search for solar thermal for my system. To be really effective, a solar thermal hot water system needs a transparent cover suspended over the copper pipes to create a miniature greenhouse and trap the energy from the day star. Without, you might only get appreciable water heating on a couple of the hottest, sunniest days in the summer. By contrast, mine was still providing a daily hot tank till the end of September. It occasionally starts up now, but isn't extracting any significant heat. The stove back boiler has taken over in providing the boats hot water till the Spring.

Jen

.y solar was still heating water in September as well and the odd day in early October 

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Are you sure? Once you have a VAT-paid certificate for both the EU and for the UK you should be able to move back and forth, just keep your proof of VAT status safe!

No, I'm not sure, but an English friend with a yacht in Denmark tells me that some such ruse is proposed, but that the details keep changing. It's all highly unsatisfactory.

18 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

Found it!?...Thanks,was interesting and helpful reading,useful pics too?..As I have limited deck space,I figured fitting the pipe inside,against the deck-head,would work.As the steel gets bloody hot!!...Seeing your system,I am now thinking to fit the pipe against the under-side of one of my solar panels,(maybe help the panel be more efficient too,as they work best at lower temps).At present,I just bung a black plastic water container on the deck during the summer!?

47 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Found it!?...Thanks,was interesting and helpful reading,useful pics too?..As I have limited deck space,I figured fitting the pipe inside,against the deck-head,would work.As the steel gets bloody hot!!...Seeing your system,I am now thinking to fit the pipe against the under-side of one of my solar panels,(maybe help the panel be more efficient too,as they work best at lower temps).At present,I just bung a black plastic water container on the deck during the summer!?

You could at one point buy water cooled solar panels, the water was used to cool the panels and heat water in the house. Richard said they worked well but were expensive 

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

You could at one point buy water cooled solar panels, the water was used to cool the panels and heat water in the house. Richard said they worked well but were expensive 

Thanks for the reply...It will be D.I.Y. for me!:judge:...I have never seen water cooled panels before,its good to know the system works!. ?

On 03/11/2020 at 15:03, Tracy D'arth said:

Using electricity to heat anything on a boat is never easy or simple, the consumption is just too high for the available energy.

O I would say using it is easy, its finding the source of energy to keep it going that's the problem.

As for heating a boat, even a Narrowboat has about 5Kw of heating in wet radiators so on a 4:1 that is 1.25 Kw of electricity or a little over 100 amps at 12 volts, or one leisure battery full every 30 minutes   

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

O I would say using it is easy, its finding the source of energy to keep it going that's the problem.

As for heating a boat, even a Narrowboat has about 5Kw of heating in wet radiators so on a 4:1 that is 1.25 Kw of electricity or a little over 100 amps at 12 volts, or one leisure battery full every 30 minutes   

Discharging a battery at that high rate will not give the expected energy output. The 110Ah is at a low rate around 10A

51 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Discharging a battery at that high rate will not give the expected energy output. The 110Ah is at a low rate around 10A

30 minutes, 20 minutes doesnt make much difference, if like most boats you have 4 batteries it soon going to turn cold