tunnel head light

jaime66

Featured Posts

On 10/07/2020 at 10:18, Jen-in-Wellies said:

This one came from a place selling reclaimed marine items. A long time ago, so can't remember who, or if they are still around. A ships stern light in polished copper, moved to the wrong end of the boat. Fitted a 55W car high beam halogen bulb and a lined the inside of the housing with tinfoil to produce a flat diffuse light that doesn't dazzle oncoming boaters. Spends most of its time inside the boat and is slid on to the mounting and plugged in for tunnels.

Jen

foulridge-light.JPG.23358a7febadcd156766df8520e7e82e.JPG

That's an interesting mod, Jen!  I see you've re-used the Piper stub mast tube thingy. What happened to their trademark original chrome lorry style lamp?  Did it die and was not replaceable?  (For my own future reference, you understand!) :)

23 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

That's an interesting mod, Jen!  I see you've re-used the Piper stub mast tube thingy. What happened to their trademark original chrome lorry style lamp?  Did it die and was not replaceable?  (For my own future reference, you understand!) :)

Hi Sea Dog,

This boat is a sail away, so it didn't come with a light, just the stub mast. The mast carries through to the inside of the gas locker and provides a convenient point to restrain gas bottles, as per BSS. The mast came with a small bit of metal welded to the top, which you could then drill through to mount a typical pedestal lamp. Instead, someone made me an aluminium upright that I bolted to it, on which this lamp slides when required.

Jen

bracket.jpg.e7cbf60d6a28de1bd9c5e004b4cbbd1a.jpg

19 hours ago, BWM said:

Guaranteed to destroy your eyes in a tunnel!

Yes, LED tunnel lights should be banned, especially if not angled towards the roof of the tunnel.

Many justify their purchase because "it's kinder on the batteries", but unless  you break down in a tunnel, the engine is running and thus the tunnel light is fed from the alternator.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Yes, LED tunnel lights should be banned, especially if not angled towards the roof of the tunnel.

Many justify their purchase because "it's kinder on the batteries", but unless  you break down in a tunnel, the engine is running and thus the tunnel light is fed from the alternator.

I met a boat today in broad daylight that had their LED tunnel light on and even then it was like boating with the sun in my eyes, glad I didn't meet them in a tunnel.

17 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I met a boat today in broad daylight that had their LED tunnel light on and even then it was like boating with the sun in my eyes, glad I didn't meet them in a tunnel.

Changing the subject, when did you pass my mooring, Thursday?

9 hours ago, Muddy Waters said:

I've never seen this picture before, where is it from?

Lifted from the CRT archive, I was actually looking for a different photo but came across this one. Looking at it again the headlamp on the motor boat to the left of the Edgware is also offset, and dropped.

To address the original question: I picked up a good condition headlamp on ebay a couple of weeks ago for £20 to replace the one which has self destructed after 37 years on the boat. I took it off to repaint it for possibly the first time to discover the difficulty of getting paint to stick to the holes which should be metal.

Edited by davidg

On 11/07/2020 at 14:30, Jen-in-Wellies said:

This boat is a sail away, so it didn't come with a light, just the stub mast. The mast carries through to the inside of the gas locker and provides a convenient point to restrain gas bottles, as per BSS.

Oh, that's interesting. So your gas locker is where my water tank is - my gas locker masquerades as a pair of side doors amidships.  I thought that would be a common arrangement on all their hulls, not just the ones fitted out by them but clearly not.  It's an really good arrangement imho.

On 13/07/2020 at 18:13, Sea Dog said:

Oh, that's interesting. So your gas locker is where my water tank is - my gas locker masquerades as a pair of side doors amidships.  I thought that would be a common arrangement on all their hulls, not just the ones fitted out by them but clearly not.  It's an really good arrangement imho.

I like the side gas lockers Simon Piper does. Can't remember the reason why mine was made with the more usual bow one, but it was something we discussed when planning the build.

Jen

4 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Trinity Marine in Devon is the place to head for reclaimed industrial & ships lights, salvaged from Ship-Breakers & Colonial buildings around the Globe.

https://www.trinitymarine.co.uk/product-category/industrial-marine-vintage-lighting/

That's where mine came from! ?