tunnel head light

jaime66

Featured Posts

Ours is a replica MG sports car headlight, can't remember where we got it from, but you'll find them on the internet. Stafford Vehicle Components, who have a web site, might be a good first port of call.

might be worth a look....

e bay

Brass Headlight

Solid brass surround and casing.
Hella C90119 clear glass lens Halogen bulb.
12V
Glass diameter 155mm / 6"
Overall diameter 200mm / 8"
complete with 30" of 2 core cable

Hinged mounting bracket.

Please look in our ebay shop or phone 01299 821111

Limekiln Limited 

This one came from a place selling reclaimed marine items. A long time ago, so can't remember who, or if they are still around. A ships stern light in polished copper, moved to the wrong end of the boat. Fitted a 55W car high beam halogen bulb and a lined the inside of the housing with tinfoil to produce a flat diffuse light that doesn't dazzle oncoming boaters. Spends most of its time inside the boat and is slid on to the mounting and plugged in for tunnels.

Jen

foulridge-light.JPG.23358a7febadcd156766df8520e7e82e.JPG

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Spends most of its time inside the boat and is slid on to the mounting and plugged in for tunnels.

Jen

Why? As it obviously enhances your boat's appearance, how come you keep it hidden?

2 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I suspect that if it slides onto it's mounting, it would be just as easy to remove steal.

Oh yes, and we put ours, which also slides into its mounting, away when we are away from the boat. But it's always in place when we're cruising. 

4 hours ago, jaime66 said:

Looking to fit a vintage looking head light to boat ,so where's best place to buy one ...cheers 

These people sell a range of replica lamps https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/c-55-lighting/c-140-front-lamps?page=2  The 7" classic (near the bottom of the page) is similar to those preferred by the working boatmen. Or you could search for a genuine vintage Lucas "King of the Road" fog lamp, I got mine in a boot sale for a fiver.

434747041_FlecknoeFields10(2).jpg.df69af119ea62c11aa1d48aeadb06efa.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Why? As it obviously enhances your boat's appearance, how come you keep it hidden?

So it doesn't need polishing so often. Plus it enhances the appearance of the shelf it is on!

34 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I suspect that if it slides onto it's mounting, it would be just as easy to remove steal.

This too. There is something to keep it there, but not beyond someone "going equipped".

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

Mine is an early 30s Lucas King of The Road chromed limousine headlamp.

I think I paid about £30 for it around 1990.

I placed a modern halogen bulb in it. The curved brushed aluminium leg was from a very low coffee table.

The stand is hardwood, and I shaped it from the solid with a fret saw. 

It only goes on the front when I'm on board, and is easily removable (if you know the secret)

It can be dipped, because the whole reflector inside has a solenoid attached that swings it up and down.

lamp.png

Picked this one up on eBay all the way from America, old lorry headlamp of the right vintage. It worked out cheaper even after shipping than anything i could find here, mind you with the state of the pound it may have changed now!

FB_IMG_1521711948739.jpg

39 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

It used to be a requirement that a tunnel light had to be flat beam such as a fog lamp, which meant that car headlamps and spot lamps were not permitted. Has that regulation been rescinded?

Not sure about the rules but MC are selling these.

LED BRASS TUNNEL LIGHT 4.5/8" (117MM) DIA

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/led-brass-tunnel-light-4-5-8-117mm-dia-vn-001

Looks like a posh shower head.

Edited by Ray T
  • Haha 1
  • Horror 1

10 hours ago, zenataomm said:

It was also a requirement for the lamp lens to be square/oblong.

Obviously nobody in the Grand Union Canal Company told their counterparts in the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company that.

Note also the offset headlamp on the Edgware which I don't think anyone has had the cojones to replicate yet, probably because it looks so odd.

limehouse.jpg

Edited by davidg

12 hours ago, BWM said:

Guaranteed to destroy your eyes in a tunnel!

Not quite guaranteed to destroy the eyes of an on oncoming steerer thus making a collision more likely. You will be able to see him or her shielding their eyes as they bounce off the wall.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, davidg said:

Obviously nobody in the Grand Union Canal Company told their counterparts in the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company that.

Note also the offset headlamp on the Edgware which I don't think anyone has had the cojones to replicate yet, probably because it looks so odd.

limehouse.jpg

You can still see the original mounting holes (filled with three rivets) on the deck of Hawkesbury.