Worrying times for a new build

Featured Posts

I couldn't agree more with the recommendation to buy second-hand.

we don't know if the OP has much experience of canal boats - if he has then new-build may be a viable option.  If not then it would be foolish to base your design on a desk study looking at websites and brochures from afar.

and as pointed out before, so many new builds end up with a long list of defects that takes weeks or months of rectification which quickly sours the dream of a nice new boat that was built to your precise requirements  .................................     if you will only be visiting the UK for limited periods then it is a no-no.

the beauty of buying second-hand is that you don't immediately feel the same warm emotion of ownership (at least not until you get used to the beast) and if you decide it was a mistake you can sell it and find a better one without it breaking your heart.

The other benefit of buying used is you can often get a boat with a better fit and finish and importantly a better spec on things like the engine, inverter, hob, oven etc. than perhaps one would be able to afford when new.

(though the down side of that is obviously any warranty will have expired).

Edited by The Happy Nomad

It looks like the OP may be a year or more away and as he says 1-2 years for a build slot then on top 6-12 month for completion. In this time of business uncertainty who can say what builders will still be in business.  Mayde builders change their practices and want a larger upfront payment to secure their jobs, who knows??

If you buy secondhand it may not be as worrying and far quicker, there will be ample boats to fit his requirements secondhand, but being 10,000 miles away may make it a little more difficult in finding the suitable boat that suits.

Edited by PD1964

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

It looks like the OP may be a year or more away and as he says 1-2 years for a build slot then on top 6-12 month for completion. In this time of business uncertainty who can say what builders will still be in business.  Mayde builders change their practices and want a larger upfront payment to secure their jobs, who knows??

If you buy secondhand it may not be as worrying and far quicker, there will be ample boats to fit his requirements secondhand, but being 10,000 miles away may make it a little more difficult in finding the suitable boat that suits.

it may be the OP just likes planning things - I have a bruvver like that.

in practice, if visiting from Oz it is entirely possible (and interesting) to visit several yards where boats are for sale, buy one and sail it away a couple of days later.   Prob'ly the only qualification I would make is that such a course of action is not recommended for a boat more than a few years old, where a survey may be advisable.   A one year old high spec boat may be on the market because the elderly owner, who spent his pension pot on a new boat, had a stroke or whatever and could no longer use it.   For example the same bruvver, who bought a classic Fife-style yacht a couple of years ago - all varnished mahogany, the only paint is the antifouling - took his dream boat to France where he now lives, had a stroke and now has to sell into an uncertain market. 

Or they could be like the OP, have the dream(may or may not have canal experience) buy a new boat and find out that canal life CCing is not suited to one or both of them and there stuck with a large wasted sum of money depreciating and either sell or move full time into a Marina never to move out on the canals again.

Edited by PD1964

JJ has been a forum member for 3 1/2 years and I'm sure he will have picked up some good guidance in that time, one of his 1st posts (Jan '17) was :

Alan - I've just download a electrical audit thing and run through what I have/what or would use and it comes up with about 650Ah per day if that helps. The £40000 is for 'extras' my total budget is £150000 so was looking at about £110000 on boat (which I would hope would include worktops and stuff like that) and the rest on 'stuff'.

His 'demands' and knowledge have changed considerably since then.

17 hours ago, JJPHG said:

Appreciate lead time for builder can be 1 to 2 years

Which is why I took the option of a sailaway. I gave them the money and the haulier took away the hull/engine etc. to my fitting out location. Then where not able to do work myself used local contractors. 10 months later boat in the water ready to take to paint shop. Whilst an option with a great opportunity to both participate and modify a design as things progress some will argue that possible problems with certification can occur. Those I sorted.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

JJ has been a forum member for 3 1/2 years and I'm sure he will have picked up some good guidance in that time, one of his 1st posts (Jan '17) was :

Alan - I've just download a electrical audit thing and run through what I have/what or would use and it comes up with about 650Ah per day if that helps. The £40000 is for 'extras' my total budget is £150000 so was looking at about £110000 on boat (which I would hope would include worktops and stuff like that) and the rest on 'stuff'.

But actually doing it hands on is completely different then sitting on here asking questions and watching YouTube.

Anyone can be an expert with Google and the internet, there are many experts on here who have probably never had a boat, as I say getting out and doing it is completely different. 

• Greenie 2

36 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

But actually doing it hands on is completely different then sitting on here asking questions and watching YouTube.

Anyone can be an expert with Google and the internet, there are many experts on here who have probably never had a boat, as I say getting out and doing it is completely different. 

entirely agree.

20 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Certainly have, plus (pre-covid days) having had the chance to get back onto the water a few times and reaffirm our desire for a lifestyle change on retirement.  This forum has been so very very valuable not only in grounding our original 'expectations' but the hugely valuble opinions people have offered.  Long may it continue and fingers crossed world events won't get too much in the way of our plans

13 hours ago, redwing said:

Lymm Marina has terms that may suit if you go for a new build

http://lmbs.co.uk/payment-terms/

I've no connection to the company other than as a satisfied customer

Thanks

21 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Or they could be like the OP, have the dream(may or may not have canal experience) buy a new boat and find out that canal life CCing is not suited to one or both of them and there stuck with a large wasted sum of money depreciating and either sell or move full time into a Marina never to move out on the canals again.

Have a fair bit of experience but yes not CC'ing and we accept that's a risk but one we are willing to take.  We are very very lucky that our professions mean that we can accept this risk.  Worst case a nearly new build will hit the market for somebody else to buy :) 

On 10/07/2020 at 19:08, Murflynn said:

and as pointed out before, so many new builds end up with a long list of defects that takes weeks or months of rectification which quickly sours the dream of a nice new boat that was built to your precise requirements  .................................     if you will only be visiting the UK for limited periods then it is a no-no.

Yes - wonderful though technology is we have come to that conclusion (the no-no bit) as well and will return for the the build, if we end up going down that route.  Not discounting the 2nd hand option at all, we just haven't come across one yet that ticks enough boxes.  Given that Australian's aren't allowed to leave Australia) at the moment and probably not for at least a year our timelines is now a lot longer and you never know what will pop up in that time

Thanks to all for your opinions and replies.  As always ALL appreciated

1 hour ago, JJPHG said:

Given that Australians aren't allowed to leave Australia) at the moment and probably not for at least a year.

Really? Has the corona bug hit Oz as hard as that?

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

I believe that Melbourne is on a repeat of its Level 3 Lock down following an increase in cases.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jul/09/coronavirus-victoria-melbourne-stage-3-lockdown-restrictions-metropolitan-metro-mitchell-shire-explained-covid-19-what-you-need-to-know

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

"There is no bonk ban", says the State premier.

How very Australian.

Edited by Athy

8 hours ago, Athy said:

No - but as been subsequently pointed out there is currently a spike in Melbourne which is a worry especially as Australian’s didnt really learn how to socially distance etc and have become very complacent.  As for the ban on travel, yes, from the 25th March there has been a travel ban  https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-travellers#travel-from-australia

19 minutes ago, JJPHG said:

No - but as been subsequently pointed out there is currently a spike in Melbourne which is a worry especially as Australian’s didnt really learn how to socially distance etc and have become very complacent.  As for the ban on travel, yes, from the 25th March there has been a travel ban  https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-travellers#travel-from-australia

We have some friends currently in Perth with their rellies who have been there since just before the UK went into lockdown. They originally were due home some weeks ago but of course they haven't been able to till now. They fly home on 24th July.

Yes they I think are going to get a bit of a shock when they get home. They have said its been quite relaxed generally whilst they have been there.

The problem they have is that they fly home via Dubai, which of course isnt exempt from the UK 14 day quarintine rule. If they were flying home direct they would be.