Lechlade

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

45 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Tricky. I suspect propping up the bar is not even allowed in many pubs at the moment. Not that I've tried it. Probably fine in some but you need to know before you go. 

Hence i don’t go Sean. Even sitting at a table as a ‘billy no mates’ is awkward!

Edited by Nightwatch

Glad you're enjoying it.

When we moored at Kelmscot on the way to Lechlade I ended up mooring faced the other way. Not from choice. It was so windy it started to turn the boat against my will and after trying to fight it I gave up and just let it turn me round.

Next day calm was restored so I turned again and continued on up the lovely river.

I'm envious. Perhaps next year, all being well.

Nope. Lockys won’t process licences. You have to do it online. I tried and failed last night. Send an email. Got a phone call in next to no time and sorted. If you have been on the Thames before they have your account details.

They do check if you have applied for licence. You get an F number which i was asked to display. Its only right to pay I suppose. Save embarrassment of getting caught.

On 10/07/2020 at 00:08, Tim Lewis said:

Love Lechlade ?

80 Thames Lechlade 1st September 2003.JPG

Presentlt moored in Kelmscot adjacent to an enormous field with many many young cattle. Being H&S  conscious we have white plastic bags on our pins. Seems young cattle are attracted to white plastic bags. One lovely beast pulled off one of the bags and had it sticking out of its mouth. I ventured amonst the hers, see what i did there?, and retrieved the bag. Just a word of Warning. Wouldn't have done the Cow any good. 

On 10/07/2020 at 17:24, Nightwatch said:

Emailed EA saying i was having difficulties buying a temp licence on line. Says ten day response time. I did state sooner rather than later to reply. Within forty minutes a pleasant young man called me on the mobile and we did the business over the phone. I’m legal.

Bought a month. Quite possible we will leave before but who knows. 

Help, I'm struggling with getting the licence online,

Do you have a link to the online application or email or phone number for EA, I can't seem to find the online application ?

I have found what appears to be a pdf that needs to be printed off and sent in to them. Confused.com !!!!

21 minutes ago, waterdog said:

I have found the contact details for the E.A. will give them a call.

Still can't see a way to apply online.

No - you have to ring them up on the national call line - websites for the EA are ffar too modern...

Try either of these methods:-

Tel. 03708 506 506 (Mon-Fri 8-6)

E-mail: enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk

More info on:-

http://riverconditions.environment-agency.gov.uk/

It seems to be the general front page for many things to do with the Thames.

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Nor could I. Leaves a lot to be desired.

edit. Old goat got in before me.

Edited by Nightwatch

32 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

No - you have to ring them up on the national call line - websites for the EA are ffar too modern...

Try either of these methods:-

Tel. 03708 506 506 (Mon-Fri 8-6)

E-mail: enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk

More info on:-

http://riverconditions.environment-agency.gov.uk/

It seems to be the general front page for many things to do with the Thames.

the service from those folk is dreadful.

for example I recently had an email from WaterwaysThames@environment-agency.gov.uk asking me to contact WaterwaysThames@environemnt-agency.gov.uk where my enquiry would be passed to the relevant department.  :banghead:

not only a spelling mistake in the email address but they were effectively responding after 2 weeks telling me to contact them again on the same address so they could handle the matter.  WTF?

we pay for this type of service through our taxes - some of these jobsworths with fancy titles are totally unaccountable apparently.

the only success I have ever had is by phoning the national number, or by phoning locks in the area until one of them picks up and then asking the lockie to call the lock I need to talk to.  The public doesn't have the mobile numbers of the lockies, but of course they have each other's mobile numbers.

AFAIK all matters are dealt with in Reading on the national number, with some operational issues being referred to Teddington lock (which I assume is a 7 day service).

2 hours ago, waterdog said:

Because you can't

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/river-thames-boat-registration-and-application-forms

We have always bought our Thames licenses at Locks

EA.JPG

23 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Because you can't

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/river-thames-boat-registration-and-application-forms

We have always bought our Thames licenses at Locks

Yup, read all that on gov.uk. Apparently the lockies are not dealing with licences at the moment, has to be done by phone / email.

It's about time EA dragged itself up to date, even C&rt will sort out your boat licence online :).

15 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Nope. Lockys won’t process licences. You have to do it online. I tried and failed last night. Send an email. Got a phone call in next to no time and sorted. If you have been on the Thames before they have your account details.

They do check if you have applied for licence. You get an F number which i was asked to display. Its only right to pay I suppose. Save embarrassment of getting caught.

Edited by waterdog

On 09/07/2020 at 11:05, Nightwatch said:

Its about 25 years since I went to Lechlade. Any information greatly accepted regarding mooring, where to moor, charges for moorings, somewhere to have a distance conscious BBQ with a small number of friends. All those years ago ...

We got up that way twice last year. (So pre-covid info).

Beautiful winding cruising, but drive as if there's a dutch barge coming downstream just round the blind bend ahead .. because there could be!

Public moorings at Lechlade plentiful with lots of open space. (Mind said cows).

Excellent fish and chip shop - eat in or take away - and an equally excellent hand made sourdough shop ... that also does exotic pizzas in evening. Usual Co-op shop and good butcher/deli up street.

Regular buses to Cirencester, where we stocked up with 2 weeks worth of groceries.

We also like mooring on the curvy bits below Kelmscott. Watch out for the occasional wasps nest in the bank. William Morris's country house there is fascinating if you like classic countryside design - fabrics, wallpapers - design history ... or insight into the love triangle going on involving Dante Gabriel Rossetti

Edited by Jim Batty
Change Lechlade to Kelmscott
  • Greenie 1