Lechlade

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Its about 25 years since I went to Lechlade. Any information greatly accepted regarding mooring, where to moor, charges for moorings, somewhere to have a distance conscious BBQ with a small number of friends. All those years ago we could pop over the wall into an adjacent field. I guess is now a ‘nogo’ thing to do. What is the visitor mooring like. Is there room to distance six people? 

Lots of questions I know but.......................

It's a lovely trip with some interesting bends. The 180 deg before Buscot lock is a good challenge!

Between St John's lock and the A361 bridge there are moorings on the left hand side going upstream after the last bend - beware, that bend is shallow so keep wide!

It is a large field so no problem with distancing.  Last time I was there it was free - or no-one came to ask for any money.

• Happy 1

9 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

It's a lovely trip with some interesting bends. The 180 deg before Buscot lock is a good challenge!

Between St John's lock and the A361 bridge there are moorings on the left hand side going upstream after the last bend - beware, that bend is shallow so keep wide!

It is a large field so no problem with distancing.  Last time I was there it was free - or no-one came to ask for any money.

Farmer charges for mooring and does come and collect or did before covid. Are the other people coming by car as this could be a problem as most car parks in Lechlade are chargeable and enforced. 

We stayed there a few years ago. Lovely place and nice part of the Thames - there's a big field (with fender munching cows) to moor alongside on the left before the bridge. The farmer charged us £5 per night and comes around early. If you intend staying several nights pay him in advance unless you are an early riser.

I stayed for a week last summer and missed the farmer as I was at work every day. He caught up with me as I was leaving. Very nice chap and said he was happy for donations to the RNLI iinstead if you don't see him to pay the fee. It was £5 a night, £25 a week or £60 for a month if I recall rightly. Just watch out for the cows licking the boat!

PS never found parking in Lechlade to be a problem but not been since covid. It's hard to predict what the situation will be like now, previously quiet places are heaving and normally busy places are deserted!?‍♂️

Waking up to whe sound of cows tearing grass at 5am is part of the fun. Any plants on the boat are seen as a delicacy by the cows who can reach a surprising way from the bank. Centre lines and other mooring lines are also tasty as well as fenders. The edge is shallow in many places so you may have to have a few goes to find somewhere you can get off the boat, but it is a long long bank.

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Its about 25 years since I went to Lechlade. Any information greatly accepted regarding mooring, where to moor, charges for moorings, somewhere to have a distance conscious BBQ with a small number of friends. All those years ago we could pop over the wall into an adjacent field. I guess is now a ‘nogo’ thing to do. What is the visitor mooring like. Is there room to distance six people? 

Lots of questions I know but.......................

Good questions, We're heading that way too (in Kidlington ATM) so will follow the thread with interest.

Foxes afloat are heading to lechlade so some video there if interested.

38 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Good questions, We're heading that way too (in Kidlington ATM) so will follow the thread with interest.

Foxes have (most likely) been and gone - I sent them some suggestions from their Thrupp video and they pointed out that their YT stuff was at least 3 weeks bekind their presentation. There are few chargeable moorings - thus it's a matter of guesswork more of can you get your bow into the bank so that you can moor.

I suspect this year - as there have been fewer boats (of any size) moving that the reeds & weeds have taken over many of the good spots.

1 hour ago, waterdog said:

Left Kidlington Green Lock this morning. We’ll look out for you. Boat name? PM if you prefer.

• Greenie 1

If I had visitors coming by car I'd moor somewhere near Kelmscot as there is plenty of parking there. It's not far from Lechlade. 

Red pin is where you can park and you can moor where the orange line is. There might be cows about on the downstream bit so could be a bit technical doing bovine social distancing with a bbq..

It's probably sortable somewhere there. 

Couple of long term narrow boats by the track the last time I was up there which was 2019.

I'd probably go for the field mooring to the left of the picture where I put the orange line as less likelihood of livestock. 

IMG_20200709_172422.jpg.9d934eb8a1db5b0b5e95e634c416b1cc.jpg

Map link

https://goo.gl/maps/5ZBRjyLsQN5FYyqU6

The Google camera car has been down there and has excellent images of the moorings above and shows car parking availability to the side of the track. 

Edited by magnetman

We were on the Thames for 2 weeks in July/August 2017. My records show that we moored at East Street where I met the skipper of a boat called Nightwatch. After that we went down to Abingdon and moored for 3 nights just below the lock. We then headed back upstream and stopped at the following overnight moorings between Oxford and Lechlade. Lechlade was the only place we paid to moor.

GOING UPSTREAM

Eynsham - up through the lock, past the moorings on the left chargeable at £10 and moored free by the meadow on the left. Lovely view.

Newbridge - on the right just before The Rose Revived pub. Very high bank so getting on and off was not easy.

Rushey Lock - moored by the meadow on the left just above the lock.

Kelmscott - moored on the right hand side just after a left hand bend if I remember correctly. Looks like it was where the upstream orange line is located on magnetman 's map.

Lechlade - left hand side just before the bridge. Paid the farmer £5 in the morning. No cows while we were there.

GOING DOWNSTREAM

Radcot - moored on the right just downstream from the bridge.

Babcock Hyth - moored on the left hand side just before the pub.

Back to East Street for the final night.

All were very nice moorings. All were easy to get on and off other than the one at Newbridge. Regarding Newbridge - there were better moorings on the left hand side, going upstream, just after the Maybush pub. We stopped there for lunch (not in the pub) on the way back downstream but I think there were signs for a (£5?) charge for overnight mooring.

Edited by Lily Rose
Added a bit re Newbridge
  • Happy 1

Just moored at Newbridge. As Lily Rose says high bank. We can get on/off okay. The dogs not impressed. Spoke to a locky. You apply for license online. Obviously wont receive the paper but they check if you have paid. Funnily enough at the next lock the Locky went indoors, came Out and asked if we had applied on line. I said doing it tonight. So, they are checking. Quite right too.

You've got 2 pubs to choose from, assuming they're both open. Plenty of outside space at the Rose if I remember rightly. I have eaten there but many many pre-boat years ago so I don't know what it's like now. I got on and off ok at that spot but Mrs LR had no chance. My joints work better.

Weather's thankfully a lot nicer now so you should have a pleasant time on the river. We came out of the marina today, after our first night aboard since March, and have now moored on the way to Braunston with a nice view of the hills.

Are you just getting a 1 week licence?

We got 1 week but enjoyed it so much we stayed for a 2nd week.

59 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

You've got 2 pubs to choose from, assuming they're both open. Plenty of outside space at the Rose if I remember rightly. I have eaten there but many many pre-boat years ago so I don't know what it's like now. I got on and off ok at that spot but Mrs LR had no chance. My joints work better.

Weather's thankfully a lot nicer now so you should have a pleasant time on the river. We came out of the marina today, after our first night aboard since March, and have now moored on the way to Braunston with a nice view of the hills.

Are you just getting a 1 week licence?

We got 1 week but enjoyed it so much we stayed for a 2nd week.

Emailed EA saying i was having difficulties buying a temp licence on line. Says ten day response time. I did state sooner rather than later to reply. Within forty minutes a pleasant young man called me on the mobile and we did the business over the phone. I’m legal.

Bought a month. Quite possible we will leave before but who knows. 

Lovely!

We bought a month in 2018 to go down to Teddington and back very leisurely. I think it worked out that a month was a little bit cheaper than 3 weeklies. Might see you at some point then if we're not away on the boat again. Or when you head back to Napton.

10 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Lovely!

We bought a month in 2018 to go down to Teddington and back very leisurely. I think it worked out that a month was a little bit cheaper than 3 weeklies. Might see you at some point then if we're not away on the boat again. Or when you head back to Napton.

Half thinking, like we do, maybe, possibly might go on the K&A again. Depends how the virus thingy acts.