Buying First Boat

Barnaby Wilde

Featured Posts

Buying a boat is not about the asking price it is what you are prepared to pay for it. A boat as with everything else in life is worth what the buyer is prepared to pay and not a penny more.

So set your budget, don't forget to allow for a survey, licence, insurance and a mooring, roughly £5000.

Next decide what type of boat you need / want, length, style etc. decide on how you and your wife will use the boat.

Once all that is sorted in your head you can start looking, the old adage "you don't choose the boat it chooses you" has always proved true for me.

KenK comment, above, is true, with the caveat that you need to be realistic above what you might get for your money. When my wife and I started looking, I was slightly disappointed with what we could get for about £30k five years ago. Her eyes only lit up when we started looking at boats around the £50k mark and, yes, I really could see the difference!!