Film of Alf Langford, fender maker, 1976

Featured Posts

Simon Wain sent me this only last week. I first met Alf at Harris’s yard, Bumblehole, Netherton. He and brother Jeff had Imp, their first boat, moored there in the mid 60s. At the time I’d helped Malcolm Braine with Cactus and Ken Dunham with Grange at the yard and I was developing an interest in signwriting, having watched Ted Chetwynd letter Cactus and being taught Italic handwriting and later some calligraphy at school. Somehow, Alf learned of this and said, in a broad Black Country accent

” Daeve, yo’ got nice ‘ondwritin....con yo’ paent me boat’s naeme on the side?”

It was a challenge I readily accepted, setting to work with the wrong paint and brushes, taking almost a day to execute the 6 letters for a fee of 40 Park Drive cigarettes. This was the beginning of a long friendship which lasted, on and off, until his death in the mid 90s. Imp was sold and Alf had Hexa built at Norton Canes by Denis Cooper at CTS, she was the boat usually associated with him. As is seen on the film, she was well adorned with decorative ropework, the tiller a riot of plaited ropework using plastic coloured washing line. Around this time, the early 70s, he had a crane driving job in a local factory, though he was making fenders and decorative  ropework too. He’d knock a day off work and I’d drive him around West Midland boatyards where he’d sell his wares.

He soon commissioned a workboat to accompany Hexa as a floating workshop where he could ply his trade, having given up factory work, and once again I set to work with enthusiasm, wrong paint and brushes to letter Fiddlers Green for him. I cringed to see the work featured briefly in the interview! We boated together extensively in the early 70s, though I was in Australia in 76 when the piece was filmed. We lost touch for some years during which he married, had a son, and for some time living afloat at the Black Country Museum where he demonstrated his craft as well.

We met again on the fringes of the Black Country at Prestwood near Stourbridge, at the yard of David Baugh, then the home of Black Country Narrowboats. Things hadn’t gone well for Alf, the boats were sold and David had a caravan in which Alf lived, single again. He used outbuildings at the yard to pursue his ropeworking career. Eventually, anno domini intervened and he moved to a care home in Kinver. I passed by often, with a note....next time, I’ll go and see Alf....until a phone call from a friend informed me of his passing. His funeral saw a model of Hexa atop his coffin, which I know would have pleased him.

Alf was a real character, the salt of the Black Country earth and I treasure his memory. My final act was to write an appreciation of his life for the journal of the International Guild of Knot Tyers. Rest in peace, me mon!

53 minutes ago, dave moore said:

I saw her last at Lichfield Cruising Club, a good few years ago now. She had been stretched then from her original length of 30’.

Definitely 30’, or possibly 35’ like Vulpes? I figured it had been stretched as it’s longer than Vulpes. I thought there were three ‘Hampton Tugs’ all the same. I have a picture of the third but I have never encountered it myself so I’m unsure if it still exists. There are of course other similar boats built by CTS and Water Travel (same fabricator) such as Thorn and Omega.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Tony Wakeley was the builder you have in mind. He worked both at CTS and Watertravel. I took Alf to Autherley with his stock and we walked in to the building shed. Seeing Alf Tony asked

” Ah, Alf....Mr Bean given you the day off again?” Alf worked for Beans Foundries, Tipton, at the time. I can’t print his reply!!

I always thought that Hexa was originally 30’, but I could be wrong. It’s long ago now.....

2 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Tony Wakeley was the builder you have in mind. He worked both at CTS and Watertravel. I took Alf to Autherley with his stock and we walked in to the building shed. Seeing Alf Tony asked

” Ah, Alf....Mr Bean given you the day off again?” Alf worked for Beans Foundries, Tipton, at the time. I can’t print his reply!!

I always thought that Hexa was originally 30’, but I could be wrong. It’s long ago now.....

I couldn’t recall his name off the top of my head even though he left his signature and date (1968) in weld metal on the top of the right hand swim of Vulpes. Thanks.

It may have been 30’. I just took being told there were three boats the same to be fairly literal.

I know he wasn’t originally a boat person but he lived on a boat and was from Tipton yet to him a butty had a “helm” not an “ellum”. He also had “water cans”.

JP

Water cans is the correct name for these items, not “  Buckbys”. I don’t remember what he called the butty rudder, I’ve always Bown it as the ellum or ramshead. In those days Alf spent winters at Tipton, tied at Barkers Coal yard by the middle lock of Factory. He moved in warmer weather to Cut End, usually tying not far from the junction on the Staffs and Worcs. 

In the interview, the presenter removed the decorative ropework from the back of the swan neck on Hexa. Alf claimed that the Cow’s Tail, as he called it, was a good luck talisman. I’d forgotten about this until I watched the film, but thinking about it I’ve never seen another in this position on any working boat. Perhaps this was his own take on things? Likewise plaited leather belts.....having seen Alf do these, I assumed they were “ traditional” but I’ve never seen them worn by boaters. A broad leather belt, certainly, but not the plaited variety. Perhaps they were Langfordisms......

I knew he was going to tie a noose as soon as he folded those first loops.  By rights he should have ended up with thirteen coils though.  Wether this was where thirteen became 'unlucky for some '  I have no idea.