K&A and C&RT

Domino_2

Featured Posts

A lock out of order (surely not) - broken since 20th March but because of Covid no work has been done until Monday 6th July.  Its not due to open until tomorrow 18:00 (9th July) - yet all the C&RT workers have disappeared.  3 were there first thing this morning and since 11am there isn't even a C&RT van here.  Of course can't get any information out of C&RT.

(Lock 52, Heathey Close Lock)

?

31 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do boaters use the locks on the K&A ?

A few move,  

53 minutes ago, Domino_2 said:

A lock out of order (surely not) - broken since 20th March but because of Covid no work has been done until Monday 6th July.  Its not due to open until tomorrow 18:00 (9th July) - yet all the C&RT workers have disappeared.  3 were there first thing this morning and since 11am there isn't even a C&RT van here.  Of course can't get any information out of C&RT.

(Lock 52, Heathey Close Lock)

?

I am not sure how you expect us to respond to that, we can't really give any advice on how you can get through any quicker

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I am not sure how you expect us to respond to that, we can't really give any advice on how you can get through any quicker

Its more of a general moan - and a hope that someone might have heard anything about the lock.............

A few years ago I was held up at Bedwyn due to the big stone that one of the lock gates attaches to coming loose. The CaRT guys worked all day to fix it and then it had to be left 24 hrs for the concrete to go off before it could be used.

Maybe tomorrow.

What's the lock looking like - does it look like they're nearly finished if you're nearby? Picture I saw from a couple of days ago (Attached) clearly shows the problem with the RH gate - if they've done some sort of bodge that involves glueing it back together maybe they need to wait for the glue to set?IMG_2111.jpeg.99d8f3f34c0b9aedb3160ef8b68cff8a.jpeg

ETA: one would hope that since they've known about in since March they'd have had time to get a new gate made. But somehow I suspect not...

Edited by phantom_iv

According to the CaRT website it takes between 2 and 4 weeks to make a new gate, once space is available in a workshop and the data available. I'd guess that even for a gate that his deemed of extreme priority it is unlikely to be on site and fitted in under two months, all stops being pulled out. The more that the planned schedule is disrupted the less efficient the whole process becomes.

56 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

According to the CaRT website it takes between 2 and 4 weeks to make a new gate, once space is available in a workshop and the data available. I'd guess that even for a gate that his deemed of extreme priority it is unlikely to be on site and fitted in under two months, all stops being pulled out. The more that the planned schedule is disrupted the less efficient the whole process becomes.

They've had three and a half, but not sure how many of those they've been using coronavirus as an excuse to slack off unable to work due to social distancing

Edited by phantom_iv

4 hours ago, phantom_iv said:

What's the lock looking like - does it look like they're nearly finished if you're nearby? Picture I saw from a couple of days ago (Attached) clearly shows the problem with the RH gate - if they've done some sort of bodge that involves glueing it back together maybe they need to wait for the glue to set?IMG_2111.jpeg.99d8f3f34c0b9aedb3160ef8b68cff8a.jpeg

ETA: one would hope that since they've known about in since March they'd have had time to get a new gate made. But somehow I suspect not...

Top of the right hand quoin post is missing, that will need a solution before the beams are refitted.

It will possibly be a made up bit or iron work, that seems to be in vogue at present.

TD'

6 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Top of the right hand quoin post is missing, that will need a solution before the beams are refitted.

It will possibly be a made up bit or iron work, that seems to be in vogue at present.

TD'

“Quoin post” - thanks! I knew there was a proper way to describe the broken bit, but couldn’t recall what it was.

Hey, I'm no expert on lock gate components!

The quoin stone is the bit the gate pivots in with the strap holding it in place. So I guessed that the gate upright that fits in the quoin is maybe the quoin post?

Anyone else on here know what the Babby  or Babbie is on a lock?  Showing off now.

TD'

15 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Hey, I'm no expert on lock gate components!

The quoin stone is the bit the gate pivots in with the strap holding it in place. So I guessed that the gate upright that fits in the quoin is maybe the quoin post?

Anyone else on here know what the Babby  or Babbie is on a lock?  Showing off now.

TD'

Check this old thread for the answer...

• 2 weeks later...

Mitre post hasn't been changed, hence leak, plus OSB board suggests it just might be a horrible bodge or, as CRT might have it, a temporary repair.

Temporary repair and canal open, or wait for a proper fix, with canal closed - take your choice. I know which mine would be!

• Greenie 2